B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 24th 10, 22:34   #1
crofootski
First One

Star Trek Films Redux

So, after all these years since ST:TMP appeared (1977?), how about revisiting the Trek movies? Any favorites, least favorites or just awful ones?

I guess I pretty much enjoyed all of them, for varying reasons. Most of the time, it felt like being with old friends again watching I through VI, even if I might not have liked the particular plot. The Next Generation movies have mostly been good, with First Contact being my favorite....the story, the acting, the music. ST:Insurrection is definitely my least favorite of the TNG films; the beginning was kind of neat and I liked the holographic stuff, but it just got boring to me. I wasn't that thrilled with the inhabitants of that world (boring), nor did I like most of the cast being sent off on the Enterprise for whatever reason, I can't remember.

Any comments?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
crofootski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 00:37   #2
hypatia
First One

Re: Star Trek Films Redux

I'll agree with you there. Was 6 the God movie? Ugh!

And Insurrection was the one about the planet with youth-giving powers? That one actually just seemed like a rather mediocre two-part episode on t.v.

And I'm not that picky. I loved the one where they returned to Earth (you know, the whale movie). Silly, frivolous,but it sure was fun for the fans!

Even seeing Spock grinning in the "let's splash in the water" scene was just so much fun to watch I didn't let the fact that it was completely out of character bother me one bit. Or the fact that Spock using the Vulcan neck pinch on a bus in L.A. in the past just to shut up an obnoxious passenger was a huge chance to take. The busload of people applauding was another just-too-much-fun moments. Right up there with the nuclear wessles and the YELLOW PAGES.

Enough, sorry to go on, but I did enjoy that one.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 01:31   #3
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
No, that was 5. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country dealt with the assassination of Klingon Chancellor Gorkon and the attempts of traitors in Starfleet and the Klingon High Command to destroy the peace process. It's a good one.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 03:04   #4
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofootski View Post
So, after all these years since ST:TMP appeared (1977?), how about revisiting the Trek movies? Any favorites, least favorites or just awful ones?

I guess I pretty much enjoyed all of them, for varying reasons. Most of the time, it felt like being with old friends again watching I through VI, even if I might not have liked the particular plot. The Next Generation movies have mostly been good, with First Contact being my favorite....the story, the acting, the music. ST:Insurrection is definitely my least favorite of the TNG films; the beginning was kind of neat and I liked the holographic stuff, but it just got boring to me. I wasn't that thrilled with the inhabitants of that world (boring), nor did I like most of the cast being sent off on the Enterprise for whatever reason, I can't remember.

Any comments?
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - BORING!
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - EXCELLENT!
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984) - EXCELLENT!
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - EXCELLENT!

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) - The WORST Trek Movie EVER made. One of the worst movies ever made. I agree with Raj on The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon's all wet.
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) - Good.
Star Trek VII: Generations (1994) - OK.
Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996) - Good.
Star Trek IX: Insurrection (1998) - Not very good.
Star Trek X: Nemesis (2002) - Good Effects. Good Space Battles. CRAP story and lead baddie.
Star Trek XI (2009) - A Trek movie for a new generation, and that doesn't include me. This is more like fanfiction that had studio backing. Look, even Leonard Nimoy sold out. Hey, the money was green. <shrug>

Quote:

And Insurrection was the one about the planet with youth-giving powers? That one actually just seemed like a rather mediocre two-part episode on t.v.

And I'm not that picky. I loved the one where they returned to Earth (you know, the whale movie). Silly, frivolous,but it sure was fun for the fans!

Even seeing Spock grinning in the "let's splash in the water" scene was just so much fun to watch I didn't let the fact that it was completely out of character bother me one bit. Or the fact that Spock using the Vulcan neck pinch on a bus in L.A. in the past just to shut up an obnoxious passenger was a huge chance to take. The busload of people applauding was another just-too-much-fun moments. Right up there with the nuclear wessles and the YELLOW PAGES.

The God movie was 5. The whale movie was 4, and it had a lot of good comedy, plus Catherine Hicks in that sweater.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; March 25th 10 at 03:09.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 03:48   #5
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:

[Kirk quote] Well Double Fuck on you [/Quote]

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 03:51   #6
GKarsEye
First One

The movies in general aren't really very good. Star Trek is episodic and doesn't fit the cinematic format.

The original series characters are a lot more fun than the newer ones. While both series had their better episodes and their worse ones, like all shows, the cast and characters of the original make the weak stuff entertaining to some degree, but TNG needs great stories to be watchable.

Therefore, the first 6 movies are entertaining, while the rest are pretty lame except First Contact which is a well-made action film.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 04:01   #7
Ranger1
Telepath

come on 2 and 6 are incredible, the rest range from decent to steaming shit.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 04:04   #8
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
Steaming shit? That would be 5.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 13:19   #9
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
We all know Wrath of Khan rules. And it's because Shatner and Mantalban make it rule.
6 is decent, but pretty stupid in parts, with Warf being Shatner's attorney, Iman trying to be hot/scary, and Samantha from Sex & the City as the worst Vulcan since... well, I guess since Kirstie Alley in the 2nd movie.

5 is not the worst movie- that would be the last TNG one, with retarded Data.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 10, 14:01   #10
jnk5y
First One

Check out the reviews of the Next Generation movies on youtube. This guy is hilarious and on the money.

Insurrection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlV3b...eature=related

Nemesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjkHUrEuHc

And his Phantom Menace review will have you hating Lucas more than ever!
jnk5y is offline   Reply With Quote