• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Logical Choice

I got the impression that the gates were left alone 'cause they were created by some ancient race or something, or at least most of them.

Either way, they'd still want a way to get to Epsilon 3. There is the Great Machine.

I got the impression that the main gate system was as you say built by an older race, but that later gates were built by the younger races to suit their needs. I was waiting for the Great Machine to come up in conversation. Would Draal want visitors in the future?

I wonder if the machine destroyed itself after Draal's custodianship. I wonder if it became a resource of the Alliance in later years.

Those who needed to go to Epsilon 3 would have their own jump-engines, I would think. And it does make sense to re-use the gate somewhere.

I got the impression that the main gate system was as you say built by an older race, but that later gates were built by the younger races to suit their needs.

Right.

Wasn't that ship that got lost in hyperspace in the beginning of season 2 a ship that built jump gates?

While watching the early part of season 4, I noticed that the vorlons were blowing gates up along with planets. This could be I suppose, a bid to hide what they were doing... but that doesn't sound right, because I don't think they cared if anyone knew, once they had committed themselves to doing it.

It's also possible they were "cleaning up" after themselves. With no planet left, what's the point in having a gate for it?

Although that too could mess up navigation surely?

I don't remember any shots of Vorlons blowing up jumpgates. Can you remember which episode(s) you saw this happening in beyond just at the beginning of season four?

You don't see it on screen, Ivanova mentions it in the War Room. It's during one of the first attacks either at the end of "The Summoning" or the beginning of "Falling Towards Apotheosis".

I only picked up on it because of this thread oddly enough.

Technically, Ivanova only says that the Ventari jumpgate has been destroyed, not that the Vorlons destroyed it. Though if they were willing to destroy whole planets they probably wouldn't scruple about a gate.

Jan

Or, if it was in the vicinity of a destroyed planet, the planet's destruction may have taken out the jumpgate, even if that was not the real intent of the Vorlons, but just acceptable collateral damage.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back