• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So where are we now?

Lyra

Hi alll

I was just wondering... What are you guys and girls doing now, that B5 is over and done with? What Sci Fi shows do you watch now, and what are they like in comparison to B5? (If there is any)

How do you feel the future might be for B5, with its sad history in the movie industry? Is there a chance for JMS to pull another B5 out of his hat? To convince people in the Movie biz to let him do another show or a Movie?

Or do we wish him onto another more bolder scape of Sci Fi shows? Do we wish him to make a Star Trek show? Or a Star Wars show? While we all love JMS, his stories might be too deep to the main streem viewers and might not want to hear people talk more than 4min without someone getting shot at with a plasma blaster or the likes.

So where do we stand in the B5 universe and there after?

Where have we gone and where did we take B5 to?

Just your thoughts and some life into these forums would do... Thanks

I miss the good old times when we were all psyched when an episodes was over and we were waiting to see the next. Or when the TV movies were still on...

Ps. Just a thought, wouldn't it be nice to have the actors do audio commentaries that can be downloaded and one can play them on their mp3 or stereo while watching the series?

I missed a lot of the cast that didn't have any commentaries on the DVDs. Like good old G'Kar... Andy could have been so good to hear with Peter.

Take care all... It was a fun ride, and I sure miss the show...
:)

Podcast commenteries, intersting idea and a good niche in a new expanding market.

As i've said eslewhere, i've finally come around to the idea that B5 is finished, and that the remaining threads will never be told. If they are, great, but I guess its time to move on.

JMS is now doing a show based on marvel characters. He said he wanted to give trek another go as well.

In terms of other shows, i'm enjoying the odd bit of Stargate and will try and pick up from season 9, when they introduce new cast members and give it a re-jig. Atlantis is also good. I love Battlestar Galactica, and have high hopes for it. Farscape remains one of my favourite shows after B5, I just love it.

Hi darth_librarian !!!

You like the same shows as me! Right down to what you love the most. AND you are mac user ( or am I wrong on that?)...

Wow, :D

Anyway pod casting would be great and the best would be if the fans could save up some money by simply making a donation site to this and hope that the people involved in the B5 universe would like to get some money to do some of these pod casts. If they know each other and they meet every now and them spending 46min and getting a little money + free publicity would be an easy way to earn a little extra cash.

Are you interested in helping me out and trying to do this? It could be cool to perhaps even make other shows get involved... Dare I say, Farscape (for those who have time to)...

Thanks for the support of my idea...

-Steve

For me, B5 is in the past. Sure, I still like to watch the old episodes and discuss them, but I don't expect anything new. I'm not even sure that I want anything new. I mean, the TV movies were ok in parts, but Crusade was generally poor, even without TNT Atlanta's interference (IMO- feel free to disagree!), and the books and comics didn't do anything for me. JMS always said that B5 was a five-year story, and he told it. End of story. All the little threads left hanging are for us to keep our imaginations going.

I haven't really watched much TV SF since B5, X-Files, TNG and DS9 (I got into that a little bit towards the end, although it had a silly finale) came to an end. Nothing has really sparked my interest. Farscape never grabbed me, and I can't get over the fact that the characters in the new Battlestar Galactica are just wrong (yeah, that's possibly a silly attitude, but imagine how people would feel if they re-wrote the original Star Trek to the same extent). Instead, my SF interests lie in original fiction now.

I would be interested in the new Star Wars show, or even a new Star Trek if it was done well. But I guess generally my interests have shifted away from TV SF a little bit.

Podcasts would be good. :D

Well, along with the SciFi channel shows (Stargate, Atlantis, BSG), Tru Calling was really good, and the second season was really getting the arc rolling, but, it got killed before Season 2 aired, and we only got 5 of 6 episodes that were filmed. Now I watch LOST, which may not be SciFi, persay (We're still not sure). It's got a wide mixture of genres, but, mostly is a Drama/Mystery, and it appears to have SciFi elements to it, but, they may get explained through real science, eventually. It's an arc'ed show, with the arc fairly planned out, just the speed of reveal on the mysteries is being adjusted in order to extend the life of the series, and from some reactions, it seems, it may have been slowed down a bit too much for some folks taste. Comparing it to Babylon 5, I think we would be about in the same place as we were with Season 1 of B5, but, that's impossible to know for sure, without knowing what the full arc is.
Other than that, I pretty much watch DVDs or watch reality shows out of the corner of my eye.

Just finished reading the first book in the New Stephen R. Donaldson Book Series "The Last Chronicles of Thomas COvenant: Runes of the Earth" and greatly anticipating the 6th Harry Potter Book, coming out in MId July.

There seem to be a number of shows that people on these boards (B5 fans) seem to like.

<u>Current:</u>
LOST
Alias
Stargate SG1
Battlestar Galatica

<u>Older:</u>
Angel
Buffy
Star Trek DS9
Farscape
Jeremiah

Probobly some others I forgot too.

I'll always plug Firefly in threads like this. A Joss Whedon show (creator of Buffy), very well acted and written. Sure, it got cancelled really fast, but the DVDs are awesome and a movie's on its way -- to be released in September.

It has a pretty unique look -- it's been described as Wagon Train in space, so the overall feel is 1890s California fused with the 24th Century -- but it's a lot of fun.

Someone recently gave me their tapes of Firefly and I have one episode left.

Fantastic show. Roll on the film.

Hi alll

I was just wondering... What are you guys and girls doing now, that B5 is over and done with? What Sci Fi shows do you watch now, and what are they like in comparison to B5?

For me right now, I've been getting into Firefly. I never caught it when it was on TV but I did purchase the DVD set and I think it's maybe as good as B5. IMHO it could have been better if it lasted. For the life of me I can't imagine why this show was not a #1 hit. Maybe because it was not promoted. I'd never heard of it personally but I have fallen in love with the characters and am REALLY looking forward to the movie, "Serenity," which is supposed to come out this fall. I'd highly recommend anyone who liked B5 to pick up this series and check it out. WONDERFUL storytelling! Just WONDERFUL!

How do you feel the future might be for B5, with its sad history in the movie industry? Is there a chance for JMS to pull another B5 out of his hat? To convince people in the Movie biz to let him do another show or a Movie?

Doubt it. I think it's over and done with. Kaput. I don't expect another canon word from this universe. Sad, but that's the way I see it. I really really really really hope I'm wrong.

While we all love JMS, his stories might be too deep to the main streem viewers and might not want to hear people talk more than 4min without someone getting shot at with a plasma blaster or the likes.

Not me. I'm not a huge JMS fan. I love B5 and think it's the best SciFi TV ever. Maybe the best TV ever. But it's the universe that draws me, not his style. I'm probably more partial to the episodes that he didn't write, though not specifically. I've never enjoyed other things he's done and I find him a little petty and self-centered for my taste. But that's just me. Doesn't mean I don't love the B5 universe and wish it would go on forever.

JMS Has repeatedly said that he is not interested in trying to convince anyone to do more B5 - the story he set out to tell is told.

If someone asked him to do something new I'm sure he would do it in a hot second, but I'm equally sure he won't be crying himself to sleep if no one ever asks.

Ah yes, I forgot about Firefly. Havn't seen it myself, but a lot of folks around here are fans.

Smallville used to be more popular around here then it is now. See This Thread.

Someone recently gave me their tapes of Firefly and I have one episode left.

Fantastic show. Roll on the film.
If those are tapes recorded from the broadcasts, there are 3 or 4 more episodes on the DVD's that were never aired. Just, FYI in case you didn't know.

I've got fifteen episodes.

These were recorded from the Sci-fi channel UK, so they are in the right order as well.

OK, cool, then.

I wasn't paying attention to / thinking about who / where I was replying to. Just had the US Fox broadcasts in mind. Sorry.

I was a big fan of Carnivale, on HBO, but that was just cancelled. So, right now, the only things I record regularly are Dr. Who, and The Daily Show. I would like to see more B5, or an new scifi series by JMS, and think it might well happen. If it does, I'll watch. But, I'm not gonna hold my breath until it does...

One thing to keep in mind is that B5 was low budget show. BSG and Firefly i belive are both very expensive shows, even Farscape budget was twice B5 had. I like them all.

I was never a big Farscape fan. I don't know why. I just never developed any interest in the characters. Creighton was too cocky and, well, I just didn't like any of them. I did watch it for a couple seasons but it never clicked. I finally stopped recording it.

One thing to keep in mind is that B5 was low budget show. BSG and Firefly i belive are both very expensive shows, even Farscape budget was twice B5 had. I like them all.

Yeah, and B5 is the perfect example of how you can sometimes make an excellent show on a small budget! ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back