• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade – Unflimed Scripts

Ubik

Regular
Crusade – Unflimed Scripts

Just thought I’d bring this up as I only just read Fiona Avery's 'Value Judgements' script. Quite enjoyed it, and very cool to see Bester make an appearance (with nods to Garibaldi at the end). I would have loved to see how Bester's fate panned out on television, had Crusade continued. I thought Bester was a bit underused in the script, but I expect this was due to the ‘cameo’ nature of the role. I really liked the exploration of the fallout from the Telepath War, and Matheson’s reactions to the situation.

Even though I never really liked Crusade when it aired, this makes me kinda sad the show never kicked into high gear, as some cool connections were being made.

Last edited:
Re: Crusade – Unflimed Scripts

Just thought I’d bring this up as I only just read Fiona Avery's 'Value Judgements' script. Quite enjoyed it, and very cool to see Bester make an appearance (with nods to Garibaldi at the end). I would have loved to see how Bester's fate panned out on television, had Crusade continued. I thought Bester was a bit underused in the script, but I expect this was due to the ‘cameo’ nature of the role. I really liked the exploration of the fallout from the Telepath War, and Matheson’s reactions to the situation.

Even though I never really liked Crusade when it aired, this makes me kinda sad the show never kicked into high gear, as some cool connections were being made.

The "Bester" novels go into his fate, but are conspicuously absent as to what happened in the Telepath War and Crusade eras. Basically the first book is the discovery of telepathy and integration and strife surrounding it. Bester is born at the end. It's a damn good novel. You could enjoy it even if you'd never heard of B5. Second book is Bester as a kid, and ends with him going to B5 for the first time. Third book is Bester returning to earth under an assumed identity shortly after the resolution of the Drakh plague, and getting a job as a critic in a french newspaper.

That's probably as close to canon as we're ever going to get, and the only thing I take out of that is that Bester was intended to survive the Crusade series.

This particular one is the script I'm least familiar with. I'm not even sure I've read it all the way throuigh. Can you give me a synopsis?

Ah yes, I've read the Psi-Corps trilogy of novels. I found all three in a charity shop for 50p each, which equates to maybe $1 a piece!

As you say, the first of the novels is very good, and I felt that was primarily because it worked with a new cast of characters, and created it's own atmosphere and world.

The other two felt too slavishly devoted to B5 continuity (and perhaps the provided outlines). I still enjoyed them as light entertainment, but they didn't do much for me as stand alone novels.

I've emailed you re: the script as I don't want to give spoilers here or ruin anything for others.

Ah yes, I've read the Psi-Corps trilogy of novels. I found all three in a charity shop for 50p each, which equates to maybe $1 a piece!

As you say, the first of the novels is very good, and I felt that was primarily because it worked with a new cast of characters, and created it's own atmosphere and world.

The other two felt too slavishly devoted to B5 continuity (and perhaps the provided outlines). I still enjoyed them as light entertainment, but they didn't do much for me as stand alone novels.

I've emailed you re: the script as I don't want to give spoilers here or ruin anything for others.

I agree.

Back when JMS first announced the novels, he said they were really going to count, really be canon, and that they'd involve his characters elsewhere in the universe, or maybe not his characters at all, and they'd tell the kinds of stories that wouldn't fit in B5 itself, and blah blah blah. And of course they weren't. They were the same kind of "Star Trek Novel # 527: Planet of Clowns" crap that every other franchise cranked out.

The first "Bester" novel was the only time I feel like the books made good on JMS' promise, and I totally agree it's because the author (Name escaping me) had full run to go wherever he wanted with his own set of characters. THe 2nd book was kinda' cloying. The third one was simply vapid, though the last scene was nice.

Granted the 2nd batch of novels (After the show ended) were on the whole much better than the terrible first batch, but I still have difficulty taking them seriously. Excepting that one example.

I've wanted to read more stuff by that author - I was impressed with his writing - but I've never been able to find anything else.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back