• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What do YOU Think? JMS, B5 and Ebay

Recoil

Regular
What do you guys think of JMS's latest thing: Him whoring out all items B5 related on Ebay for $$$?

Bad sign for future of B5?
Nice move for the fans?
Cheap-ass way to make a buck?

What do you guys think?

Example HERE

I really don't think he's hardup for cash. I think it's a nice thing to do for the fans, letting them get a chance to own a nice piece of B5 history. I don't think it's necessarily a good or bad sign. Most of the stuff I probably wouldn't buy unless it was something I really wanted and something I'd want to spend my money on.

Well, it's his stuff, he created the show, so... why should anyone have a problem with it.

He very clearly pointed out before putting up the auctions that he had to downsize his memorabilia collection, because there wasn't room for it all anymore. Do the detractors believe he should've just thrown it away?

I don't have a problem with and I am annoyed that other people seem to.In the end he created Babylon 5 and is entitled to make some money entirely for himself if he so chooses or give it away to a charity either way I don't care what he does with the money as for the items .It's a great way to own some B5 history.

I dislike the way you phrased the question in the extreme. Did you intend for it to be so infammatory or was it just ineptness? If you don't like it, don't watch the auctions and don't bid. If you sold some of your stuff, would that be 'whoring'?

Personally, I've enjoyed seeing all of the photgraphs of the items and reading the ads and look forward to seeing more.

Jan

I don't have a problem with and I am annoyed that other people seem to.In the end he created Babylon 5 and is entitled to make some money entirely for himself if he so chooses or give it away to a charity either way I don't care what he does with the money as for the items .It's a great way to own some B5 history.

Yes, IF you have $1000 bills to literally burn. How many "fans" fall into that category? I suspect not many.

What do you guys think of JMS's latest thing: Him whoring out all items B5 related on Ebay for $$$?

Bad sign for future of B5?
Nice move for the fans?

What do you guys think?

Example HERE

I think the implication that he doesn't have every right to make a profit as he can is amazing. I've read this crap here and at the moderated group.

I don't get the weird "we expect more from you" attitude that some fans are expressing. Good greif, do you begrudge the man making some income from this? If so, why?

I dislike the way you phrased the question in the extreme. Did you intend for it to be so infammatory or was it just ineptness? If you don't like it, don't watch the auctions and don't bid. If you sold some of your stuff, would that be 'whoring'?

Personally, I've enjoyed seeing all of the photgraphs of the items and reading the ads and look forward to seeing more.

Jan
Well put, Jan.

I sometimes have to remind myself, he named himself "Recoil", after all. (I think he saw it as being humorous. At least I hope Recoil was joking with the phrasing of the question. :confused:)

Some people...

Did you intend for it to be so infammatory or was it just ineptness?

Neither?

If you don't like it, don't watch the auctions and don't bid.

I started this thread to get peoples 'opinions' on the concept. I don't recall making a comment in protest of it. In fact, I don't even believe I ever stated whether *I* was in favor of it or not, did I? No, I do believe I was just curious to see what peoples thoughts and impressions were on the subject.

Obviously, if I do not like an auction or an item up for bid, I do not bother watching one, and I would certainly not bid on something I didn't like. This goes without saying, but since you commented to the contrary, I felt the need to reply.

If you sold some of your stuff, would that be 'whoring'?

Yes, yes it would.

It's a slang/figure of speech. To me (and 'Im certain to others on this site who browse various boards throughout the Internet) the phrase 'whoring' covers many catagories. My current favorite incarniation of it is "attention whoring," which applies to such media icons as Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. Basically, doing anything to be noticed.

This is really the only reply I was looking for: your opinion of it.

To be honest, I don't even know what my opinion on all these things going up for bid is, which is perhaps why I started the thread. On one hand, I think its cool to offer stuff up to fans of a show/series, as collectors items. On the other hand, its really sad to see SO MANY of these items go up for bid. Its as if they are cleaning out some old junk from a warehouse and if they dont offer it up for bid, it gets burned. Ya get me?

And as a final aside, even though I made the comment "cheap-ass way to make a buck" I wasn't implying that JMS is selling this stuff so he can afford to eat this month. That comment was made in jest. I was asking a serious overall question asking for an opinion, but trying to at least have a little fun with it. Man, first people jumping to conclusions about JMS's "Brit" comment, now this. Some people really do over-react on the slightest phrase.

Relax people....relax...no need to bust out the "Jump...to conclusions Mat"

jump_to_conclusions.jpg

Well put, Jan.

Thanks.

I sometimes have to remind myself, he named himself "Recoil", after all. (I think he saw it as being humorous. At least I hope Recoil was joking with the phrasing of the question. :confused:)

I tried to believe that this was a lame attempt at humor the way the 'Minbari Suck' thread was, and decided I didn't care. Here, on the moderated newsgroup and on JMSNews.com, there's been a rash of speculation and judgmentalism that's not just distasteful, it's sickening. People speculating on JMS's motives, what he's going to do with the money, how supposedly rich he is, even saying that his auctioning things devalues the B5 story. Doesn't anybody know the meaning of MYOB anymore?

Jan

I'll say it again Jan. Your reaction to people speculating does not apply to me, because I, in fact, was not speculating. Was I. See my above post about over-reacting to a comment without really understanding what the post was (in this case, overreacting to a comment that was never in fact made by me).

Well put, Jan.

Thanks.

I tried to believe that this was a lame attempt at humor the way the 'Minbari Suck' thread was, and decided I didn't care. Here, on the moderated newsgroup and on JMSNews.com, there's been a rash of speculation and judgmentalism that's not just distasteful, it's sickening. People speculating on JMS's motives, what he's going to do with the money, how supposedly rich he is, even saying that his auctioning things devalues the B5 story. Doesn't anybody know the meaning of MYOB anymore?

Jan

You two make me want to shoot myself. I didn't for a second think that Recoil was in any way 'flaming' JMS for selling his things on ebay.

Why do some people just have to blow shit way out of proportion? :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of whoring myself out to the working world. I wish they'd just give me the money and tell me not to come in.

Re: What do YOU Think? JMS, B5 and Ebay

Words mean what they mean, Recoil and there's not any way to take 'whoring' as anything but negative. If you meant 'selling', that's what you should have said.

As for there being 'so many' things going up for auction, let's look at that, shall we? Not counting the current auction for the Book of G'Kar, there've been 30 auctions to date. Of those:

-8 had nothing to do with B5 at all.
-10 have been script books. Looking at my bookshelf, there were *at least* 113 produced and unproduced scripts for B5 and Crusade so we're still at less than 10% of the total
-leaving 12 items from production other than scripts. Three of them *so* significant and undervalued that I'm glad there's a high reserve on the Book of G'Kar.

This by you is a lot so far? Me, I'm hoping for many more scripts so maybe I can afford one.

Jan

Re: What do YOU Think? JMS, B5 and Ebay

Actually yea, 22 B5 related items does seem like quite a bit to me. I guess what makes it seem like a lot, is that there hasn't been many auctions that were B5-related directly from JMS that I noticed in a long time, and if there were, they were so few and far between, that there wasn't a big "buzz" over them.

Its just that there have been enough of them close enough together that to me it seems to be a flurry of activity. So yea, 22 items from one person in a short period does seem like a bit.

But then I'm just one guy sitting at a computer, not some large retail company with tons of merchandise to sell, so I guess thats my narrow perspective and opinion...

annnnnnnyways, things have obviously de-railed.

If anyone else has opinions ABOUT THE AUCTIONS OF ITEMS feel free to post them: NOW!

But your question wasn't about the auction items:

No, I don't consider someone selling their rightful property to be whoring. But I have found it to be amazing to see the animosity some so-called "fans" of B5 have towards this. I find the harassment JMS has faced online over this to be amazing, especially from people who normally seem to support free trade. :confused:

Not as cheap-ass as your joke question, no.

Alternate question: would it be best in your mind if he were to burn these items he'd like to get rid of?

But I have found it to be amazing to see the animosity some so-called "fans" of B5 have towards this. I find the harassment JMS has faced online over this to be amazing, especially from people who normally seem to support free trade. :confused:

Amazing and disappointing. Worst case of sour grapes I've ever seen.

Jan

Back