• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'X3' Trailer

Re: \'X3\' Trailer

The image isn't grayscale, but it isn't really color either. It's called a duotone -- an image made up of 2 colors... in this case, blue and black. It helps create a mood for the picture. Looks like Spidey is going to fall on some hard times as symbolized by his pose, the cloudy sky, the rain, and the color scheme.

The costume he's wearing is the standard red & blue. You just can't see the difference between the colors, because red and blue have similar saturation levels. (Can you tell I work at a printing company yet?)

Whether or not Peter uses the Venom symbiote as a costume in SM3 is unknown... but if he does, I hope it looks a damn sight cooler than that picture. :)

Spidey's black costume (the Venom symbiote) never had the web-outline lines on it. The spider logo was much larger.

web0018iy.jpg

From SpiderFan.org (cuz I'm too lazy to type it all, heh):

It all started with a simple mistake. While participating in the first Secret Wars, Spider-Man really trashed his costume. He came across two other heroes who earlier had similar problems and told him there was a wondrous machine capable of making any article of clothing you can think of. Unfortunately for poor Spidey, they neglected to tell him where to find it. Spider-Man did find a device that he thought looked like "it wants to make a costume". It produced a small, black ball that initially set off his spider-sense as he picked it up. The ball oozed over the confused hero and became a black costume. Spider-Man wore the costume for a few months, enjoying the fact that it produced its own webbing and could change to mimic his civilian clothes.

This all came to an end when Spider-Man discovered his nifty new threads were actually an alien symbiote trying to bond to him permanently. Mr. Fantastic separated the two with his "sonic blaster" and captured the symbiote for study. It should be noted that during the period that Spider-Man wore the alien costume, there was evidence that the symbiote somehow fed on his adrenaline. The costume escaped and rejoined Spider-Man briefly, but the hero tried to kill the symbiote using the noise from a church's bell tower. The plan worked too well, and the symbiote saved Spidey's life before hiding itself in the church.

The other half of this future combo, Eddie Brock, was the star investigative reporter for the Daily Globe. Eddie was a particularly driven man driven to seek the approval of his stone-hearted father. It stands to reason that when his biggest score--a man confessing to be the then-active Sin-Eater--was exposed as a fraud when the real Sin-Eater was captured by Spider-Man, Brock went a little over the edge. The paper fired him, his father disowned him, and his marriage ended. Brock's mind locked onto Spider-Man as the source of all his woes and thus began Brock's burning hatred of the Wall-Crawler. But life continued to deal harshly with Brock, and soon he decided to commit suicide. Stopping by a church to pray before he did the fateful deed, Brock's intense hatred of Spider-Man was noticed by the symbiote who had been hidden there since its last confrontation with Spider-Man. The two bonded and became Venom.

The symbiote is resistant to most attacks except for high-frequency sound waves.

Re-reading my post, it seemed a lot more agressive than I intended. I just thought it would be more in keeping for the character.

I'm not one for violence for violence's sake. Apart from when I watched The Punisher, I thought after the first few minutes that i just wanted to see the bad guys suffer as much as possible. Too bad the film seemed to descend into comic violence.

The image isn't grayscale, but it isn't really color either. It's called a duotone -- an image made up of 2 colors... in this case, blue and black. It helps create a mood for the picture. Looks like Spidey is going to fall on some hard times as symbolized by his pose, the cloudy sky, the rain, and the color scheme.

The costume he's wearing is the standard red & blue. You just can't see the difference between the colors, because red and blue have similar saturation levels. (Can you tell I work at a printing company yet?)

Whether or not Peter uses the Venom symbiote as a costume in SM3 is unknown... but if he does, I hope it looks a damn sight cooler than that picture. :)

Spidey's black costume (the Venom symbiote) never had the web-outline lines on it. The spider logo was much larger.

Good eye! However, the Marvel website indicates that he will indeed be shifting costumes to something darker looks like they wanted to tweak the image rather than show the real new costume. Or, maybe the symboite intergrated with his new costume.

http://www.marvel.com/movies/8

From USA Today: An exclusive first image from Spider-Man 3, due in theaters in May 2007, indicates a change of garb, as Spidey shifts from his signature red suit...

Anyhow, for me, black costume=symboite plotline. I do''t know if this will follow the new 'ulitmate' venoms story which was quite a cool retelling, or the classic orginal one.

All this does seems to indicate three bad guys, Green Goblin 2, Sandman and now Venom! That just gives me Batman and Robin flashbacks, you could get a movie about each of those...

Re-reading my post, it seemed a lot more agressive than I intended. I just thought it would be more in keeping for the character.

I'm not one for violence for violence's sake. Apart from when I watched The Punisher, I thought after the first few minutes that i just wanted to see the bad guys suffer as much as possible. Too bad the film seemed to descend into comic violence.

I think we should have more of that too, to be honest!

I watched the trailer for the movie and I cant wait to see it. I mean I dont expect Shakespeare but it should be fun at the very least. And I'll admit Wolverine is one of my favorite X-Men but I think they could do a movie without him. From the looks of it they are finally bringing in Angel. It's too bad they had to wait 3 films to finally get him in since I believe he was one of the original X-Men.

Of course what I would really love to see in an X-Men movie are some Sentinels.

From the looks of it they are finally bringing in Angel. It's too bad they had to wait 3 films to finally get him in since I believe he was one of the original X-Men.

The original: Xavier, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, and Beast

Wow, didn't realise Beast was an original. IIRC, he wasn't blue then.

Marvel Girl? :LOL:
Man, I'm glad Superman was never called DC Man.

And who the fuck was Xavier? Prof X?

IIRC, he wasn't blue then.

Correct. Beast was originally just a bulky guy with big feet. His blue fur sprouting all over his body was a side-effect of some scientific experiment he eventually did on himself, if I remember correctly. Of course now he's experienced a secondary mutation or some such crap and looks like a walking cat with claws so unweildly that he has had to use come kind of mechanical device in order to actually have fine manipulation of objects in order to continue being a scientist.

Is that a joke? In case it's not: Xavier. Professor Charles Xavier, founder of the X-Men.

Wow, didn't realise Beast was an original. IIRC, he wasn't blue then.

Marvel Girl? :LOL:
Man, I'm glad Superman was never called DC Man.

Yeah, Beast originally looked like this:

classicbeast6gq.jpg

At some point after he finished school, he worked as a scientist for a spy organization called the Brand Corporation. He isolated a chemical that would alter his physiology for a time to grant him anonymity in his investigations. The serum mutated him further, into the blue-furred Beast most people recognize. However, when he stayed too long in this state, McCoy found he was stuck and had to adjust to being a beast in fact as well as in name:

beast5az.jpg

Beast's most recent mutation came after he was seriously injured in a fight. Psylocke (another longtime member of the X-Men) sacrificed her own life to save his. His 3rd mutation was triggered by one of the doctors in order to help him heal. He now looks like this:

beastsbs8kt.jpg

I'm really hoping they reverse this mutation. I don't care for it much at all... although recent storylines have hinted that he now has a more primal side that comes out when he gets very angry, as you can see in the picture. So that might be cool. I just don't care for the whole "cat" thing.

As for the Marvel Girl name, I'm just glad they started calling her by her real name. It WAS originated in the 60's, you know. :)

Is that a joke? In case it's not: Xavier. Professor Charles Xavier, founder of the X-Men.

Yeah that's what I figured, my brain just doesn't group the Prof as one of the X-Men, more like their mentor or something.

That's weird that they'd give Beast even more mutations in addition to his natural one.

I'm really hoping they reverse this mutation. I don't care for it much at all... although recent storylines have hinted that he now has a more primal side that comes out when he gets very angry, as you can see in the picture. So that might be cool. I just don't care for the whole "cat" thing.

It's been some time since I stopped reading any of the X-books, so I guess it ultimately doesn't matter what I think, but I so agree: Beast as a humanoid cat-person is eyeroll-enducing. As for him having a primal side now that he's physically more animalistic: wow, how original no one's ever had that going for them before.

That's weird that they'd give Beast even more mutations in addition to his natural one.

I guess they started feeling bored by some characters and thought giving them more mutations would mix things up or something. Emma Frost, for example, is not just a mondo telepath anymore, upon further mutation, she can now turn her skin as hard as diamond. (At least this was so at the last time I checked in on what was going on in the world of the X-Men.)

I thought they had some pretty unambiguous Wolverine killing in the second movie. When the soldiers invaded the mansion, he was stabbing guys in the chest which isn't the usual "disarm" crap movie heroes usually do.

I don't have much confidence in the next movie given the multiple switches in directors and the lack of time to adjust.

My spiderman, as well as xmen, knowldege comes from the 90's cartoons but spiderman should wear the black costume at some point. The costume may very well be simply a black version of the standard given this is a movie and not a shot for shot translation/nerdgasam.

Spiderman has had many costumes in his day, this being my favorite:
asm258.jpg

Its not the best pic but as you can see he's wearing a Fantastic Four uniform with a bag on his head. It's what he wore after Reed Richard's got the alien symbiote aka Venom off of him the first time. As Spiderman is web-slinging out the Baxter Building, Jonny Storm taped a sign to his back that said 'Kick Me'.

Back