• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'X3' Trailer

Re: \'X3\' Trailer

That trailer's been out for a little while -- I wonder why IMDB saw fit to scrunch the damned thing.

I can't wait for that movie to come out!

That was actually the first time I'd seen it or even knew it was out. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

"X Men : The Last Stand". With a title like that it does not sound like they are planning a fourth film.

No, they are not. '3' seems to be the magic number for comic book movies right now. There are plans for a Spiderman 3 but I don't know if they will do more. There was talk about wanting to make 3 Supermans and 3 Batmans before making a movie with them together.

Yeah, this is the last X-Men film, but the do have a Wolverine movie in the works for Hugh Jackman.

It's too bad Colossus is only just now getting involved. Now there's a character with some rich backstory... most of which I'm sure won't even be mentioned (or assumed) in X3.

The problem with the X-Men is that the cast is so diverse with so many rich back-stories, everyone has their favourite mutant, and it will be very difficult to satisfy everyone.

I keep hearing that, and it makes sense. But then why are they going to make this their last film? :confused:

Is it just getting too expensive to keep rehiring the well-known cast?

I doubt that's the problem. If some of the cast don't want to come back then there are still so many characters that they could make more movies.

Halle Berry, for example, probably commands a lot of money. So if she's too expensive, simply don't have Storm. No one would miss that character anyway (Storm and Rogue are, if I remember my childhood, the two characters translated least accurately from the comics. But at least this Rogue is interesting and charming, while Storm is not.)

The only three characters I can't see doing without are Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and Prof X (Patrick Stewart). Even the villain magneto (Ian McKellan) doesn't have to be involved because our heroes can always find new bad guys to fight. Heck, even Prof X doesn't have to be in every film. Actually, being without his guidance for a flick or two would make an interesting story.

They did that a lot in the comic too, IIRC, professor X was always dying /loosing his powers/ getting off with alien chicks.

As for Hyps question, Hollywood also tends to work in trilogies. I've no idea why but have heard various theories.

I guess when they sign up stars for the first one, the contracts put them down for up to two possible sequels as it seems a reasonable amount.

The only three characters I can't see doing without are Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and Prof X (Patrick Stewart).

I don't even see why Wolverine is needed. For some reason, he's superpopular with a lot of X-Men fans, but I wouldn't say he's needed for the story of the organization of mutants created by Charles Xavier to continue. The X-Men existed for quite some time before Wolvie ever came along.

His popularity is what I was referring to. The character himself is well-loved and the portrayal in the movies is so warmly accepted that, apparently, he's getting his own movie. Taking him out would lose a lot of casual fans.

It would certainly discourage me. I'm more of a Rogue fan myself (surprise, surprise), but Hugh Jackman as Wolverine was what made both X-Men and X2 so good.

I should see both of those again before X3 comes out.

I wonder, how blasphemous would it be if they continued past X-Men 3 with direct-to-video movies? With smaller budgets, they'd probably have to re-cast some/all roles, but it would be more acceptable, like changing actors in the James Bond franchise than switching actors of B5 characters.

With so many X-Men characters out there, I just think it's too soon to end with only three movies. Plus, the characters in the X-Men movies have been pretty cool, but I haven't been thrilled with the plots in either one. If the third one doesn't deliver, I'll still be wanting an X-Men movie where the story falls into place just as well as the character interaction.

I don't really understand the Wolverine thing either, he's always been the one I'm least interested in, and he kind of annoys me.

I'm of the opinion that they should have made the films rated 18 (sorry don't know the equivalent certficate for the US) and had Wolverine gutting the shit out of people with his claws. I know it would never happen as they would lose a lot of money.

I didn't think the first two were great, hopefully this one will be better.

The best part of the X-men was Xavier and Magneto. I still love that chess game shot. :cool:

I wouldn't bother seeing a Wolverine movie, but 99% of the public probably would. :LOL:

Back