B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 18th 07, 20:17   #1
garak0410
Lurker

Season 5 - Dull?

Hello...

My wife and I are up past Phoenix Rising in Season 5 and with the exception of the few good Londo episodes, we are quite bored with Season 5 at this point. The telepaths story was just dull and we didn't care about any of the characters.

From what I've seen with the setup so far for the Centuari stories, we may be in for a good ride the rest of the season...but at this point, Season 5 is the weakest.

Did others have this feeling when they saw it up to Phoenix Rising?
garak0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 07, 20:54   #2
Elipsis
Commander

Re: Season 5 - Dull?

I really felt like Season 1 was the weakest.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 07, 21:27   #3
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
Hello...

My wife and I are up past Phoenix Rising in Season 5 and with the exception of the few good Londo episodes, we are quite bored with Season 5 at this point. The telepaths story was just dull and we didn't care about any of the characters.

From what I've seen with the setup so far for the Centuari stories, we may be in for a good ride the rest of the season...but at this point, Season 5 is the weakest.

Shhhhhhhh!!!!! Don't mention Byron, some people are.... kind of twitchy about that!

I actually like some of the standalone Season 5 episodes like Learning Curve.

I certainly don't feel Season 1 was weak. I actually preferred Sinclair to Sheridan. It's not that I didn't like Sheridan, I just related more to Sinclair...but hey I kind of related to Kosh as well. Explan that!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 07, 21:47   #4
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
Hello...

Yes, but this was because JMS was regrouping after the Claudia debacle. It only gets better from Day of the Dead through Sleeping in Light. You're through the bad part of Season 5. The remaining part of the season with its Centauri arc is excellent.

Personally, I find No Compromises through Phoenix Rising the weakest of the whole series, with the Centauri parts of that span to be the only redeeming features.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 07, 22:58   #5
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Byron was a wanker.As soon as he is gone the season is more enjoyable in my opinion.

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th 07, 06:19   #6
RW7427

The first B5 ep I ever saw was a season 5 ep, and I fell in love with the show right away. Since I hadn't seen any of the action-filled eps of previous seasons I guess I didn't know any better.
Old September 19th 07, 09:03   #7
maneth
Ambassador

I didn't really like Byron and the plotlines involving him. Still, it was an interesting season, even if not quite as action-packed as 2-4.
Old September 19th 07, 10:08   #8
dencor
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to dencor

Considering all that happened prior to season 5 getting the go ahead, though not great it still is not to bad. The first four episodes were good in my opinion. The Long Night of Londo Mollari being one of my top ten episodes during the five year run. And as others have stated before me after Byron is gone things do get better.
I do think that Day of the Dead could have been much better. It would have been great to see Kosh come back and they should have concentrated more On the Londo, Adira moments but they had to set up the whole Lennier story and trying to develop new characters. It was a slighty above average episode.Things really get moving around the last six episodes or there about and the ending as we all agree here is perfect. Even a friend of mine who is a big trekkie. ( I know that is a bad word ) has told me that no ending for any of the trek series comes close to what he saw in Sleeping in Light. I watch that episode once a year and it still brings me to tears. Heck the first time I watched it so many years ago. I cried all the way through and am not ashamed to say it.

thanks dennis
dencor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th 07, 10:16   #9
raw_bean
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Yes, but this was because JMS was regrouping after the Claudia debacle. It only gets better from Day of the Dead through Sleeping in Light. You're through the bad part of Season 5. The remaining part of the season with its Centauri arc is excellent.

Personally, I find No Compromises through Phoenix Rising the weakest of the whole series, with the Centauri parts of that span to be the only redeeming features.
Quoted for truth. To my mind, 'The Long Night of Londo Mollari' is the only really outstanding episode in the first half of the series, but the main four eps (almost a four part story in the way 'Messages from Earth', 'Point of No Return' and 'Severed Dreams' run as a three-parter) of the Centauri arc - 'Darkness Ascending', 'And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder', 'Movements of Fire and Shadow' and 'The Fall of Centauri Prime' - are possibly the high-watermark and emotional climax of the whole series, for me.

The Season 4 (Shadow and Earth Civil) wars may have been the overall climax of the 5 year story, but like 'The Scouring of the Shire' in LOTR, the Season 5 denouement brings home the consequences and after-effects of all the previous years' events to characters we've grown to care about, in tragic fashion. I love it.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed, garak.

Last edited by raw_bean; September 19th 07 at 12:15. Reason: Correction
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th 07, 10:53   #10
Telepath
Ranger

Quote:
they had to set up the whole Lennier story and trying to develop new characters
I assume S5 was also used as a possible bridge for a potential sequel series. "Learning Curve" again emphasizes the rangers, which would have featured prominently in the sequel according to JMS's intent. The fall of Centauri Prime sets the stage for the Drakh war, the telepath crisis will lead to the telepath war. A new ensemble of people gathers on Babylon 5. It's all neatly set up for a new series after B5.
Telepath is offline   Reply With Quote