B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old August 6th 07, 18:17   #1
garak0410
Lurker

Shadow War Question - Minor Spoiler

Minor Spoiler for some...

I was a little disappointed in the end of the shadow war...with the Vorlons and Shadows going off leaving the "third age of man." Not that it was a bad idea, but I kind of expected the war to go on a little longer...was anti-climatic to me.

Was it just me?

Still got more episodes to view for the first time...saw the first appearance of "The Keepers."...
garak0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 07, 18:27   #2
hypatia
First One

Re: Shadow War Question - Minor Spoiler

Yea, there are B5 fans who just like the big fight and stuff-blowing-up and they were downright mad that JMS took a more clever way out.
Old August 6th 07, 19:12   #3
garak0410
Lurker

I don't mind the way it went out...I just had a feeling that the entire Season 4 would be the war...that's all.
Old August 6th 07, 19:21   #4
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
I don't mind the way it went out...I just had a feeling that the entire Season 4 would be the war...that's all.
The IA didn't stand a chance of winning an all out actual war, it wouldn't have been realistic if it had gone the way some expected it to. The Series was never just about the Shadow War, it was always meant to hit all the points it did.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 07, 19:41   #5
n_stock
Lurker

I believe either in script books or on the DVD jms stated that since both the Shadows and the Vorlons were so much older and therefore (as scifi logic typically goes) more advanced that the only way the war could have been won as it worked out. Although, you are correct in saying it felt short because "Into the Fire" was originally intended to be a two-parter but because jms knew Warners might tell him to pack it up jms couldn't quite do the big finish to the Shadow/Vorlon he intended.

Read his comments here. As he says if he hadn't been rushed and he would have made the two-parter the war still would have ended the exact same way.
n_stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 07, 21:25   #6
garak0410
Lurker

Exactly...I didn't mind the way it ended...just thought it would come later...so thus, as I was not ready for it, that ending was anti-climatic to me.
Old August 6th 07, 21:33   #7
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Exactly...I didn't mind the way it ended...just thought it would come later...so thus, as I was not ready for it, that ending was anti-climatic to me.

In a sense, I think it was meant to be a little, because the end of the Shadow War feeds into something else, which you will see played out by the end of S4. To have the Shadow war play out grand as some expected it to, would've made the rest of the series a bit anti-climactic.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 07, 21:49   #8
RMcD
First One

Quote:
I found it anti-climactic the first time I saw it. It seems at this point JMS switches from a parallel storytelling approach to a more sequential one, essentially so that everything can finish tidily and satisfactorally at the end of S4. However in retrospect I can appreciate that the first 6 episodes of that season form a very intense mini-arc, that the plot rallies and ratchets up again very quickly after that, and that the latter part of S4 is about as good as it gets. It's just that brief moment at the end of Into the Fire where you feel like you've just run unexpectedly off the edge of a cliff, especially if you didn't know that cliff was coming.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 07, 22:59   #9
Jade Jaguar
First One

On original viewing, it was clear to me that Sheridan's strategy was to pit the Shadows and the Vorlons against each other, in direct combat, in the hopes that they would pretty much wipe each other out, and that his forces, including a few First Ones, could mop up what was left. So, yeah, I was expecting a big space battle, and was just a little disappointed that JMS fooled me, and ended it differently. But, what he did do was fine.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th 07, 11:55   #10
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

I felt the same at the time, but the more personal conclusion to the season with the Earth Civil War more than made up for it.

Season 4 really does rock.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote