• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Coming Attractions!

You know, much like others here, I can deal with trailers. I enjoy them, because sometimes, the theatrical trailer can make a movie seem more appealing. A good example would be that movie Paycheck, or whatever it's called. Personally, I haven't seen a theatrical trailer for it, but friends of mine who HAVE seen it said it helps explain the plot a little more, which the TV trailers most certainly DON'T. It's just, "His memory was erased, and now shit blows up. A lot."

But then we reach the part I DON'T like. The commercials. Mostly, they're annoying. As are those godawful piracy rants. Of course, I didn't say anything new here, methinks. :LOL:

[quoteI'm not that old) but the reason the previews for upcomig films are called trailers is because they showed after the main feature.

[/quote]

I'm in my early 40's, which means that I have been going to the movies since the mid-1960's. I don't *ever* remember seeing previews after the feature. Perhaps this is a secondary side effect of the main credits havine moved from the beginning of the film to the end. I know (well, OK; it's my opinion) that is largely responsible for the change to most of the audiance leaving before the house lights come up.

A bit tangental, but on the topic of "coming attractions":
I remember one case where the reaction to an early preview (and I do mean preview, as in trailer, not a screening) was so strong that it actually caused a change in the movie (well, the soundtrack according to what I've read). The claim was that the original Addams Family movie was originally not going to use the old TV theme music at all. Then their first trailer hit the theaters. It was so far in advance (probably 9 - 12 months) that there wasn't *any* footage in it. It was just the Da-da-da-Dum Snap Snap of the TV theme opening with a blank black screen, and then something like "Coming Next Year" on the screen. I don't think they even bothered to put the title up. I remember seeing that in a theater and the crowd went nuts, just from that couple second snippet of music. Apparently that was common across the country. Because of the strong reaction, they decided to use that theme music.

I'm in my early 40's, which means that I have been going to the movies since the mid-1960's. I don't *ever* remember seeing previews after the feature.

I agree! The word arises from the clips 'laying a trail' for the forthcoming movie. They've always been shown before the movie in my memory, and I'm a little older than you :)

I believe the practice I mentioned was mostly done in the 1930's and 40's, when going to the movie was more than just to see the film. It was also to see the news with visuals via newsreels (TV's were around in the 40's, but cost roughly what Bill Gates is worth) and some cartoons (where do you think all those Loony Tunes shorts came from). I'm not sure how the running order went, so if anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.

I can just remember when an evening out at the cinema was a WHOLE evening. The running order would normally be (as far as I can recall) 1) a B movie, 2) a newsreel, 3) coming attractions, 4) some commercials, 5) an intermission then finally...

<drumroll>

6) The main movie!

The whole thing could easily last 3 hours :)

So ...... kinda like a Lord of the Rings installment now (without the previews and other ads).

:LOL:

Except you got an intermission, so didn't have to worry about whether you keep your legs crossed that long :devil:

For those with limited funds, try your local library. Our library lends both Videos and DVD. Many are movies released within the last year or two. And, you can keep them longer than the ones you rent from the Video stores.

Yes, I saw that preview and it looked like it would be a very good movie. But did you see the previews for "Hildalgo?" It stars Viggo Mortensen as a cowboy in Arabia on a 3000 mile race across the desert. Its based on a true story. Ought to be good.

No, I didn't see that preview but will watch for it and the movie. We're always looking for something a little different. Most of the movie plots are just the same old thing over and over. We recently saw Terminator III, on DVD, and just couldn't believe how bad it was.

Whenever i go to the cinema , I try to time it so i miss the commmercials , or at least arrive when they are finishing .. And i allways try to go when it is empty (the Pictures)

But did you see the previews for "Hildalgo?"

Among the little features in the local newspaper around the opening of RotK I saw a quote from Mortenson about the making of Hildago. The gist of it was that there were a fair number of people in the cast and crew of Hildago who were complaining about the harsh conditions of filming in the desert, and he would look at them and think 'Man, you have no idea. Try climbing mountains and fighting orcs in full armour for a year and a half.'

:LOL: :cool:

I generally don't mind the commercials, and trailers can be kinda cool. But lately I have also had to sit through anti-piracy PSAs. They are so annoying that I feel an instant desire to run out and download a half-dozen movies just to strike back at such nuisances.

Alternatively start a shout of "Make copying legal".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back