• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers: How are decisions are made?

StarStuff

Regular
Is broadcasting a show and looking at ratings the primary way TV stations make decisions? Do they ever use other means such as showing it to a test audience - sneak previews, etc. - the way some movies do?

By using other testing methods they might be able to proceed with contracts for the actors and more definite plans to begin filming episodes.

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

Ratings would be the primary way, if only because Ratings are the way revenue rates may be determined for advertising.

Other element might surely be used, but fundamentally its butts in the seats and eyes on the screen.

Difficult to measure as that may be.
crazy.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Well normally there's a lot more risk involved. Doing a telemovie then waiting to see isn't normal practice. Normally the commission something like 13 episodes, and see how it fairs. If it does okay, they commmision the back 9 to make it a full 22.

Before that process, obviously a lot of people are involved. Test audiences and focus groups may be used, and in some cases (like Buffy) an initial pilot was made to sell it to a network.

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

Sometimes I think we should be glad if SciFi relied soley on the ratings: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>WB did a focus group for B5. Peeled of 20 folks for an in-room review, the rest of us watching through mirrored glass. One guy hates the show vehemently, keeps saying it's not science fiction. Finally the guy running the group says, "Could you tell us what you feel is an example of good science fiction?"

And the guy says, "Power Rangers."

I damn near went through the glass at him.

jms<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Power Rangers?

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

That's a tragedy.

------------------
"Thin air? Why is it always thin air? Never fat air, chubby air, mostly-fit-could-stand-lose-a-few-pounds air?"

Apparently this guy sees the future color coded for his convenience.
crazy.gif

Talk about your lowest common demoninator...

Can I get a species check on aisle 3? I think we have an amoeba masquerading as a complex life form here.

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
Sometimes I think we should be glad if SciFi relied soley on the ratings: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO
I love that JMS quote!
smile.gif

------------------
Noone here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

power rangers???...

my god...Oh my god
shocked.gif

------------------
I have no one to envy...