• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Are Sci Fi fans different than other people?

StarStuff

Regular
Very few people I know are fans of Science Fiction. Part of the problem, I think, is that 'horror' and 'cartoon-like characters' are what many people think of when they think of Science Fiction. How can "Rangers" be promoted to pull in the non Sci Fi viewers? And, what is there about Science Fiction that has made you a fan?

For me, good Science Fiction expands the world with imaginative possibilities and story lines that don't insult our intelligence.

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

Fans of Science Fiction are as diverse as any other grouping of people. On the whole, I've found the fanhood community to be more openly accepting of others, to be as passionate about their friendships as they are about the shows they watch.
There are those in the fanhood who express themselves creatively through writings, songs, drawings, costuming, the list goes on....

There are those in the fanhood who are shy, almost ashamed to admit they watch these shows, for fear of being labeled a 'trekkie', and being expected by their peers to walk around in a classic Trek T-shirt, with rubber ears and a plastic ray gun, and on the other extreme, there are people dressed and made-up to look like a hoarde of vicious aliens who march into a local shopping mall, or a local restaurant, and proceed about their business as tho they were in their Sunday finest.

The fanhood for me has seen many generous people lending time, money, blood, sweat and tears toward charity work, as well as helping one another.

The fans come from many backgrounds, and have so many varried interests. Some want to know a little about everything that's out there, some focus on one or two shows, and will be able to tell you the most obsure trivia pertaining to them off the tops of their heads.

One thing I will know the instant I walk through the doors of a Sci-Fi convention: I am amongst those who share my interests, and while i may not get along with every single person there, I know I am amongst friends.

Cheers,

------------------
Todd (Scots)
Creator,
Scotsman's BabblingFarce
http://www.treebeard.net/scotsman/babindx.htm

I am a closet scifi fan. I don't have any real life friends who like the stuff like I do that I know of. If you met me in real life you probably would not guess I'm a fan and I certainly wouldn't be giving many hints. It's just easier not to have to explain to people why their preconceptions about nerdy scifi fans aren't neccessarily true.

This is why I come here, to discuss a great show with others of the same interest.

Even so I do occasionally feel the urge to let out a long Neeeeerrrrrrdddss yell ala Ogre in Revenge of the Nerds. Sometimes the sterotypes are true.

------------------
Bus
"Yes, he is handsome in an ugly sort of way."-Homer

I find that most of things I like nobody else likes.

Most ppl who I know who don't like scifi stuff complain that "it's too got too many big words that we don't understand" or "it's weird".

Which for the most part can often be true..but those happen to be the things that I like.

So are Sci Fi fans different than other ppl? Of course..just like everybody's a little different..but chances are you're going to relate more to another sci fi fan than you would say a sports fan.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

Granted, I've seen folks in the sci-fi fanhood who not only personify the stereotype, they take it to the extreme.

On the other hand, I've seen people who look like they belong in the upper echelons of society, people who would think they're looked down upon for admitting they know what a Hyperspace Jumpgate is.

It's a question of acceptance, I suppose. You happen to like Sci-Fi, but you don't wish it to be made public knowledge, certainly I'll not presume to try to comvince you otherwise. Given the 'bad rap' the sci-fi stereotype has given fans, it can be risky to 'out' yourself amongst the wrong crowd. But then, you never know.
I've had situations where I was in corporate surroundings, and blue-collar jobs, and if I hadn't made some obscure referance to some sci-fi series, I would never have discovered just how many of my co-workers were 'closet fans'.

Just another way sci-fi fans stand apart, they can accept ya whether you're in a closet, or you're out there........even WAY out there......

Cheers!

------------------
Todd (Scots)
Creator,
Scotsman's BabblingFarce
http://www.treebeard.net/scotsman/babindx.htm

I think that most people who like SF don't fit the "nerd" stereotype. It's too bad that the old Saturday Night Live "Get a Life" sketch had to depict us in the usual negative light. There *are* SF-fans like that, but thankfully, they are in the minority.

I've tried for much of my life to get into one group or another, but B5-fandom is the only group where I have felt truly accepted. It's nice.

Tammy

------------------

Vir, I feel the same way you do--I seem to like things others don't like. Musically, I've been out-of-touch for the last ten years. I didn't like grunge, & I can't stand the '70's-revival. I keep wondering how people can wear bell-bottoms & platform-shoes with a straight face.

Where SF is concerned, I was a huge fan of the short-lived series Max Headroom in the late-'80's. I'm talking about the version with Edison Carter & Network 23. But try as I might, I couldn't find a lot of people who watched & enjoyed the show. I actually have more luck with B5--I'm always finding fans when I least expect it.

Tammy

------------------

<endless sarcasm>
We sci-fi fans are freaks, we should be locked up in a little box and the key should be thrown away
</endless sarcasm>
Seriously, I couldn't care less about what the "mundanes" think, just cuz they are too stupid to get it, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with us.

------------------
This short dewd in my pic scares me...

I'm in a similar situation to some of u, my friends do not understand how I can possibly enjoy Sci-fi.
Most of my friends expect sci-fi to be extraordinary somehow, and are dissappointed when presented with horror.

I received a great deal of criticism when I attempted to share B5 with them. Some claimed that "they all look human", others that "they don't understand what's going on" (like how hard can that be?) or that the characters look ugly & funny. (I think it was due to the Season 4 titles which I started off with that make Londo & Lennier freak ppl out.)
laugh.gif

But generally there's no understanding of what the whole fun behind Sci-fi is, I don't think u can really make ppl enjoy something that they're struggling to convince themselves that they are above of.

------------------
"I don't watch TV. It's a cultural wasteland full of inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media league."
- Guard outside Sheridans cell in "Between Darkness & Light"

Not really, people are people everywhere...

And you certainly can't expect everyone to like sci-fi. Sometimes it's what you expect that prevents you from noticing something really good. I'm sure that has caused me to miss many good things in genres I'm not familiar with...

But sci-fi is one of many things that can add some unique perspectives to your point of view... hopefully allowing for a bit more open-mindedness, tolerance and curiosity. May-be even a little "special relationship with the universe"...
smile.gif

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited May 05, 2001).]

No, I don't think we're different. We have extremes, too. Folks who will tut or look down on you if you misquote a verse, etc. But all in all, the fans that I've met are down-to-earth people. They have lives outside of books, TV, and the Internet...well maybe not the Internet.
smile.gif

If someone looks down on me because I like SF, then I see it as their loss. If all they can see are pointed ears and ray guns, then they're missing the "meat" portion of SF. They're missing the interesting (and sometimes humorous) discussions that we have. Heck, it was through SF (and talking with other fans), that I began to read different genres.

Now I will confess to feeling a tad uncomfortable at conventions (the few times I'm able to go). If I can get into a writing workshop or other kind of workshop, I'm fine. Meeting the actors/actresses...that's another story. I've heard that the B5/Crusade cast is quite personable, but I get the jitters really bad. Guess I'll have to remember what one of you said about "being among friends" when you go to a convention.

------------------
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." Elric the Techno-Mage, "Geometry of Shadows"

Kitsune, the one cast-member I was terrified to meet was Andreas. He ended up being so nice, though! I've met almost all the B5 cast, & they really are a great bunch of people. This year, I *finally* get to meet Peter Jurasik (Londo)--hooray!

Tammy

------------------

<mindless rant>
Damn you, damn you all to hell!!!
</mindless rant>

I'v never been to a convention in my life, I'm a longtime Star Trek/ B5 fan, but I've never been to a convention, and I would give anything to go.

------------------
This short dewd in my pic scares me...

When I first posted this particular thread my questions were kind of jumbled together.

Other than family, I have encounter very few Science Fiction fans in my daily life. This is OK but along with all of you I am hoping for a successful 'Ranger' film followed by a great series along the lines of B5.

JMS COULD EASILY BE MARKETED TO A WIDER AUDIENCE. I hope that at least part of the promotion for 'Rangers' would address those people who don't count themselves Science Fiction fans. Someone of you said, on one of these message boards, that there was virtually no advertising when B5 first aired. I am sure that 'Rangers' will be more widely advertised but I just hope that they will cover all bases and not just promote it to us true believers. A wider audience, once exposed to an exceptional experience, might lead the way to better Sci Fi programs in the future.

OR

Perhaps my question should be: "Is it strange for me to be concerned with the marketing of a TV program that is only in the very early stage of production??? Yikes!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

Where SF is concerned, I was a huge fan of the short-lived series Max Headroom
Tammy

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah you too eh? I loved Max and knew that it was ahead of it's time. I've not watched it for ages but I do have it on tape. In general, my social circle is Sci Fi fans. It wasn't really planned that way, especially since most are people I came to know after being cajoled in to going to a Dr. Who Fan Club meeting back in the early 80's. 20 years later, we still meet to enjoy B5 or Millenniium or maybe some Dr. Who or Red Dwarf- the list goes on and members have come and gone. We've participated in conventions, hosting panels and providing video programming. We've learned alot about patience and tolerance and how to work together, despite some strong and widely different personalities. It's been the most loyal group of friends I could ask for.

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>StarStuff wrote:

Is it strange for me to be concerned with the marketing of a TV program that is only in the very early stage of production??? Yikes!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, StarStuff, not at all.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

The possibility of a good movie or series suffering due to less-than-good marketing decisions by non-interested suits concerns me too... But I have to admit that marketing strategies have never been my specialty. I seriously doubt if I could come up with any useful suggestions. Well, others might...

Besides, there is always hope that the decisions are made by suits who actually know and care what they do - quite a rare phenomenon, but I can assure you they do exist.

What fans can do is to let the film-makers know:

- who we are... (well, the universe never asks easy questions...)
laugh.gif

- how did we find out about the movie/series...

That would enable them to find out which kind of advertising actually works and reaches the audience...

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited May 08, 2001).]

The problem is the Star Trek fans. In my opinion, they are the reason why sci fi fans
are viewed they way they are. They are (not all of them, you know what i'm talking about) weird.

------------------
"You mustn't allow yourself to be chained to fate, to be ruled by your genes. Humans can choose the type of life they want to live. The important is that you choose life... and then live".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vorlon:
The problem is the Star Trek fans. In my opinion, they are the reason why sci fi fans
are viewed they way they are. They are (not all of them, you know what i'm talking about) weird.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I'm a big of a Trek fan as any, but I think the reason that Trek fans get a bad rap is because of the ones that constantly dress, talk, and act like the characters. Granted, this usually only happens at conventions and such, but it is enough to make people think that all sci-fi fans are like that. Star Wars fans tend to do much the same thing at conventions, but for some reason they do not get as heckled or ridiculed as Trek fans. Anyway, it probably is the small amount of the Trek fans that dress like Kirk, Spock, Worf that make others want to turn away from sci-fi entirely.

------------------
You name it, sooner or later, everyone comes to Babylon 5.
-Commander Jeffrey David Sinclair, The Gathering

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back