• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Questions for Ambassador Joseph DeMartino

StarStuff

Regular
Are you one of the First Ones who has stayed behind to oversee us - - the younger races?

I doubt that you are a Vorlon because your answers are more than one word. Lately however, I have been thinking that you might be Kosh's more loquacious brother.

Honorable sir, may we ask, who are you?

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StarStuff:

Honorable sir, may we ask, who are you?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you want?
Who do you serve?
Who do you trust?

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Nobody special, really. I'm a B5 fan who started watching when I could find the show during the summer reruns in the first season at the urging of a friend. I started watching regularly during the original run of the second series and discovered "The Lurker's Guide" and the Compuserve SF Media Fourm (where JMS used to post all the time) around the same time. Not long after that I found The Station and other B5-related sites, and even joined the fan club, something I hadn't done since I was a member of the "Merry Marvel Marching Society" about 25 years before.
smile.gif

I've been interested in the nuts and bolts of the TV biz since reading Gene Roddenberry and Stephen E. Whitfield's The Making of Star Trek when the original series was still on the air. I later had a chance to have a private chat with Gene for about 40 minutes late one night after a Trek convention in New York. (The rest of the convention committee and the volunteers at the wrap party were in the next room listening to William Shatner tell war stories. Gene was left alone in a corner of the Con suite, apparently unnoticed, and not minding it a bit. He was sipping a drink and reading a magazine when I found him.)

Gene R. was very nice about answering my questions, and after that I started reading everything I could about the biz. Over the years this interest (and my participation on the internet) has led to pen-pal friendships and even a few personal meetings with folks in the industry or related businesses (like advertising) and therefore to the odd scrap of genuine inside information.

But mostly what I know has come from other fans. B5 has been the topic of internet talk going on ten years now, and many of the questions that new fans come up with have been hashed out repeatedly over the years, often with input from JMS when the show was still in production. (He's been less of a presence on the 'net in recent years, having had to put up with some truly horrendous crap including virus attacks, cyber- and physical stalking, and various permutations of slander and libel. He only stuck around through the full five years of production on B5 because he had promised in the beginning that he would, and he keeps his promises.)

He has recently resurfaced on Compuserve (because somebody asked where the heck he has been for the past few months) but mostly he posts to the moderated newsgroup (where there is some measure of control and the genuine trolls and crazies can be weeded out.) He has also been known to lurk on fan sites, although he runs at the first sight of story ideas of fan fiction.

Over the years we have exchanged a few private e-mails, but I can't claim a real acquaintance with the man. I suppose that if someone mentioned my name he might recognize it, but that's about it. I've only ever e-mailed him when there was something I thought he should know about that I didn't want to publicize on the 'net. That doesn't come up very often.

The only time he has ever initiated an e-mail exchange was when some clown on the old TNT B5 site posted a libelous message about JMS and Chris Carter (alledging that Fox and Carter were suing JMS and Warner Bros. for copyright infringement over the Crusade episode, "Visitors from Down the Street.") The guy who posted the message had registered on the site with a close variation of my name, and had included my actual e-mail address in his message.

Let's just say that things were interesting for a few hours. Luckily one of the above mentioned e-mail pen-pals worked for TNT Productions. She was able to get hold of the webmaster, identify the imposter, delete the message and the account, and notify JMS that I had nothing to do with the whole thing.
smile.gif

One of the main reasons that TNT had gone to user registration on that board was the number of fake posts that were showing up under various people's names, including mine. (In fact, when they first set up the registration system someone registered as "Joseph DeMartino" before I did. I had to register as "DeMartino" to get onto the new system, where I found a slew of messages left by the imposter. Nobody was fooled by them, though, because the guy was such a terrible writer.
smile.gif
TNT fixed that problem, too.)

In real life I am a (currently unemployed) computer network administrator. I've spent most of my carreer working on Novell systems, but after being laid-off from one job I discovered that there were very few Novell jobs left in this area. Everything is Microsoft now. So I collected unemployment for awhile and applied for a state "displaced worker" grant to pay for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer school.

This requires that you pass a series of 7 tough exams once you finish the classroom work. I'm part way through the list now, so I have my basic MS Certified Professional designation. Unfortunately school finished up just around the time the economy went south, so there haven't been many people looking for someone in my line of work. And no one will hire me for a technician job because they figure I'll quit as soon as a network admin position becomes available. (And they're right, since the salary difference is between $20,000 and $30,000 in this area.
smile.gif
)

But things seem to be looking up in the last week or so. At least I'm getting a lot more prospects in my e-mail from Monster.com, Dice.com and the three or four other on-line job search places I've registered with. Even the Sunday paper had more jobs in my field or closely related ones than I've seen in months.

So with any luck at all I won't have nearly as much time to spend on this board and others in the near future.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

So that's why JoeD spends so much time on messageboards...

Well, hope it goes well Joe, hope you get a job soon too. Currently I'm not working, but going to school. I still have some free time though, which is usually invested on this board (and its chatroom).

Hope the rest of the exams go well for you.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

You're just the man. I still wanna be your trivia guru apprentice.

Wasn't there a time on the old WB board that someone actually thought that maybe you *were* JMS? I could've sworn someone had that theory, and frankly it's not a bad theory, except I think you've succesfully quelled it by now.

Still, with your knowledge and articulation, it's probably no coincidence that your name is Joe too
smile.gif

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

Well there was a certain someone on another board, to remain nameless, who tried arguing with Mr. DeMartino and after being shown for the moron that he is with simple logic simply claimed that Joe is a paid agent of JMS sent to supress any negative thoughts about him or his shows.

I still get a laugh out of that one.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

Wooo hoooo, Joe's got his own topic...

Now, you've really arrived, Mister
tongue.gif

Hope the job situation clears up. I've recently found out my employer may be ceasing operations in this state...

So I may be a displaced employee myself in the not distant future.

If I go on the road again, I can probably make good money consulting, but I just finished three years on the road 40-50 weeks a year. Not looking forward to jumping back on another plane without a beach and some cabana boys at the other end of the flight...

Ah, well, c'est la guerre...

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited July 20, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Not looking forward to jumping back on another plane without a beach...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cabana boys are all yours.
smile.gif
I didn't travel anything like that often on my old job, but I was away for weeks at a stretch, and it sure did get old fast.

That was partly my own fault. When we had major upgrades to do at satellite offices with no on site tech, I'd usually draw five or six that became "mine." The usual practice was to fly out on Thursday morning, do some of the work during the day, working around the employees, but mostly after hours that night and Friday night. Saturday would be reserved in case more time was needed, or else for server maintenance, and you'd fly home Sunday. The next week you'd do the same thing.

I did that once. The next time one of these "upgrade tours" came up I arranged to have some of the branch offices mail me office keys and building access codes and then I'd just go out for 16 or 17 days straight. It was easier than constantly coming home, going back to normal life, and then heading out again. I'd do some offices entirely on the weekend before flying out to the next city, and built a couple of "rest days" into the schedule so I didn't burn out. But I sure did get sick of the sight of Hartsfield airport (where my connecting flights were never located in the same zip code) and having to switch back and forth between Eastern and Central time - sometimes twice depending on where I was, where I was going, and which airport I was changing planes in.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe
"When you die, you cannot get to Heaven or Hell without changing planes in Atlanta."

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
The cabana boys are all yours.
smile.gif
I didn't travel anything like that often on my old job, but I was away for weeks at a stretch, and it sure did get old fast.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'll have to think about the cabana boys. Don't know exactly where I'll stow an extra set.
laugh.gif

And I agree, it does get old. I only realized how long I'd been doing it when I took this job. Blessed telecommuting.
smile.gif

My exact thought was: Jeez, no wonder I'm so tired!

And I found it easier to do longer trips as well, but that much travel is just hard.

And my cat is sooooo needy that she, who never sleeps with me, began laying her body the length of my arm when I went to bed. Guess she wanted to be sure she knew if I made a break for it...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

"When you die, you cannot get to Heaven or Hell without changing planes in Atlanta."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's if you don't get stuck overnight in O'Hare and have to fight for an armchair to sleep in...
shocked.gif

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

Good luck with getting a job, Joe.
smile.gif

I was laid off a year ago and that was probably the hardest thing that's ever happened to me. Of course, now I could say it was also the best thing that could have happened - although it took me exactly a year to get a new job, it's better than the last job I did.

I wasn't really without work in the meantime, actually had so much work in the last few months that I had to turn down several good offers - but a permanent job gives a sense of security.

------------------
"What would you say if I told you that Councilor Du'Rog had hired someone to kill me? Someone close to me?"
'Ambassador, with all due respect, if it *were* me, you wouldn't be here for us to have this conversation.'
-- G'Kar and Na'Toth, "The Parliament of Dreams"

I wish you the best of luck in getting a job, Joe!

It was nice to finally hear a little more about yourself and how you have become a virtual Babylon 5 Fountain of Knowledge. I've never seen someone else so well informed as yourself on B5. Keep it up!

------------------
All my life I've had doubts about who I am, where I belong. Now, I'm like the arrow that springs from the bow. No hesitation, no doubts. The path is clear.
-Ambassador Jeffrey David Sinclair, War Without End

Thanks for responding Joe. I suspect that many people are like me - - always stopping to read your post. In a recent episode didn't I hear Sheridan say, "I need to know exactly what's going on around here. Get me Ambassador DeMartino."

I'm praying that just the right job comes along for you.

------------------

Good luck finding a job, Joe!
smile.gif

Have you ever read "Inside Star Trek: The Real Story" by Justman and Solow? Good read, that.

Though I think he STILL may be JMS in disguise. Remember, no one has ever seen them in the same room!
wink.gif

------------------
"During a witch hunt, don't get caught wearing a pointy hat."

Joe, I see that you are also posting under B5LR President. I dont't read everthing on these boards so I may have missed the explanation.
cool.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Joe, I see that you are also posting under B5LR President.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mostly by accident, and much to my embarassment. While Antony is on vacation I'm updating the news page. When you update a news story, the system automatically logs you in as B5LR in order to post the story as a forum message for discussion. Once it does that you remain logged in as B5LR until you manually changed the log-in. I forgot about that, and so posted a couple of non-news messages while still logged in under that account.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

You seem to be gathering quite a cult of personality, maybe soon you'll have to go into hiding.

Just don't let it go to your head.

------------------
"Watch the Shadows, they move when you're not looking..."

Good luck finding the right job, Joe.

The company I worked for was bought out and the new company decided it would outsource all the office positions. Being so close to retirement it did not botther me that much but I felt sorry for some of the other people.

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

Yes, best of luck finding a great job. You deserve it. You should get paid for what you do here. Of course, that might dip into Antony's 1 cent a year profit margin here...

If its any consolation, my sister was unemployed for over a year before she found a job she really liked. And this was back when middle management was being laid off left and right, and new jobs were very few and far between. At least we are not in a recession. Hang in there. Job hunting is so hard on the soul. But someone will recognize your worth soon. Faith manages.
wink.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Back