• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

G'Kar in Rangers movie

RW7427

Super Moderator
G\'Kar in Rangers movie

I still can't understand why G'Kar is to be the major character in the movie. He's a Narn, and as far as I know, there were no Narn Rangers. Does he decide to join the Rangers after he leaves B5? Or does he decide that his purpose in the universe is to help them? I would think that it would have made more sense to have Delenn or Lennier be the major character. Does anybody have any reasons why it's to be G'Kar (besides he was the only one of the B5 cats available)? Thanks in advance for any answers given.

------------------

Re: G\'Kar in Rangers movie

Good question. And you're right, G'Kar doesn't seem to be the most likely choice for a Ranger-related movie. I have to admit though, I haven't thought about it too hard. He's my favorite character, so I almost don't care why he's in it. I'm just glad he is.

------------------

Nobody ever said anything about G'Kar being "the major character" in the Rangers pilot. JMS said that one established character from the B5 universe, a "fan favorite", would be in the movie. That's all.

This character has turned out to be G'Kar. This doesn't mean that he's a Ranger, doesn't mean that he's going to be in the series and doesn't mean that he's the "major character." In fact, given that the probable series lead is David Martel, you can be pretty sure that G'Kar isn't the major character.

Presumably G'Kar is in the movie because he is a character that JMS decided would work for this particular story, because Andreas hasn't been in the last couple of TV movies (and JMS always made a point of spreading the movie roles around among the actors), and because Andreas was available and interested. (As Mira would not have been. She wasn't asked, but it turns out she was already committed to another film shooting in Europe and wouldn't have been able to work on Rangers anyway.)

Because of the when the TV movie falls in the storyline, Lennier was not an option.
wink.gif

And, by the way, there are Narn Rangers. Delenn & Sheridan opened up the ranks to all races, even the Pak'mara, back in season 5. If you read the series description that Antony has put together, or any of the numerous threads quoting JMS posts on the casting, you'll find both a Narn and a Drazi among the Ranger crew and presumptive series regulars. (In fact, it seems that you'll find the actor who plays the Drazi Ranger posting here.
smile.gif
)

If the series becomes a reality (and they get a decent budget) there will be plenty of opportunities to see other B5 (and perhaps Crusade) characters in guest roles down the line.

For the time being, I'm perfectly happy to have G'Kar in the film. I'm sure whatever the story is he'll fit in perfectly and Andreas will do his usual great job. I don't think that JMS has suddenly become stupid in the past two years, or forgotten how to write, or that he isn't aware that G'Kar isn't a Ranger. I have enough faith in the man to assume that he has a good reason for doing this and that he will carry it off just fine.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

As Joe here said, whatever the reason, G'Kar will most probably fit in just fine.

As to the why?... well, why not? One possible reason I can think of (which may be very far from the truth, but hey, I'm just speculating here), is that G'Kar knows a lot. Not just about the past.

I'd imagine that during his travels he may have picked up some interesting little pieces of information that could be of use to the Rangers. Or uncovered something that needs to be dealt with by the ISA, and this would require using the Rangers.

Or they could just have decided that the Rangers in the movie need some extra power in case there's a fistfight.
smile.gif

In any case, I'd be happy even if he just sat quietly in a corner and peeled potatoes for two hours.
laugh.gif

------------------
"You've misspelled this. There's no 'Y' in liberties."
"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."

My brain isn't working today, I can't remember the timing of the new movie, is it before or after the teep war? One motivation G'Kar may have for being out there, is that he still feel he is worshipped on homeworld, and wants to stay out and about for a while. Without Lyta either because she is preparing for the teep war, or because of it, G'Kar has no travelling companions. What better than to travel amongst Rangers, teaching people to respect each other and restoring the balance post conflict. Also, G'Kar would probably become like a mentor character if he became a major fixture. G'Kar knows more about sacrifice than most people alive, who better to teach a ranger who some might think had lost his way. You could say the same of Galen, why did he need to be on the Excalibur, or Kosh on B5. Sometimes the reasoning is not evident until far later on. If G'Kar feels there is a need to be on that ship, then the character will pull JMS in that direction. If you ask JMS, he will tell you Kosh told him when to bump him off. A writer gets to know his characters.

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:
My brain isn't working today, I can't remember the timing of the new movie, is it before or after the teep war?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right after the teep war, I believe.

Your comparison to Galen on the Excalibur and Kosh on B5 is interesting, Galahad.
It's certainly true that Galen wasn't a "natural" part of the Crusade crew - and I really don't think that the Vorlons needed to have an Ambassador on B5 for the ordinary reasons (i.e. I don't remember the Vorlons having trade relations with anyone and they didn't seemingly/actively meddle in the affairs of the others... yeah, sure) - but they were really important characters, story-wise.

------------------

Thanks everyone for your answers to my question about G'Kar in the Ranger movie
smile.gif
Your insights are appreciated, and they make sense. I was thinking some of those things myself, but wasn't sure if those thoughts had any merit.

------------------

SMALL SPOILER
FYI, G'Kar keeps an eye on the Rangers... not in a sense of overseeing, but almost spying for a bit. Then he has a little mission for them. That's what I remember from reading it. Plus I ain't saying too much!

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

Even before AnthonyF's small spoiler, it was looking to me like G'Kar will be playing something of a mentor role, like Kosh or Galen. He knows more about what is going on than the main characters, and nudges them in the right direction. He certainly has the spiritual aspect of a mentor (particularly if the Narn Ranger is a follower of G'Kar, which would make G'Kar rather uncomfortable and probably make for another few classic G'Kar reactions!). So his role would (possibly) be that of the one to unleash the arrow from the bow, to set tumbling the first pebbles (the "Heroes") which will lead to the avalanche.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
SMALL SPOILER
FYI, G'Kar keeps an eye on the Rangers...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which eye, I wonder?
wink.gif

Thanks, Antony. Sounds intriguing.
laugh.gif

------------------

Since the new Narn's name is Na'Feel, I would guess that she is not a disciple of G'Quon. (Don't Narns choose their permanent names to reflect their religious beliefs, and don't G'Quon's followers always choose names that start with "G'"?) Unless he converts her, or she converts herself and becomes a follower of G'Kar instead of G'Quon.
smile.gif

I'm rather curious how G'Kar's new status and his book played out over the centuries among the Narn. Is the Book of G'Kar taken as a commentary on the Book of G'Quon, a Talmud to the G'Quon Torah? Or does G'Karism start out as a "sect" of G'Quon and eventually become a new religion of its own? Does the future Book of G'Kar actually incorporate the Book of G'Qoun, as the Bible incorporates both the old and new testaments. Or do the followers of G'Kar consider it complete unto itself, while still acknowledging the inspired nature of the earlier work, as Muslims do the Koran in relation to the Bible?

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

It is great, that Andreas Katsulas is in the movie. He is really good actor. I think, his best appearance in B5 was during the imprisonment of G'Kar on Centauri Prime. He was excellent.
I have been little disappointed how he act in season 5 (but of course for G'Kar there wasn't much to do), but I believe that G'Kar will get good role in B5LR. If so, it will be certainly good movie.

------------------

Joe D to paraphrase a character from a different universe, "Where he get all this info?" You sound like an 'inside guy' but that's probably because you're a freelance and have access to people and info we 'peons' don't
wink.gif

As to the G'kar questions...
I thought there was a mention of the Book of G'kar in Deconstruction? I haven't seen it in a while but if that's the case, G'kar obviously became a religious figure in his own right.
On a different thread, same thing..
G'kar had a very similar career as Sheridan did.
Both had a change in careers, were military, then statesmen, then had a 'revelation' and became more philosophical/icon. Well, Sheridan died, but I think you can call that a revelation eh? Hmmmmm, fascinating!
One of my own questions on a continuing note..We saw how Sinclair handled himself as Entil'zha, we saw Delenn also..imagine Sheridan in the job. Would he embrace the philosophy as Sinclair did? He certainly had the military background to be a great leader. How would he have handled taking the oaths from Rangers? Would he have become Entil'zha or just Ranger One? These and more questions....perhaps answered in a book ;-)

------------------
PM
"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future .. and it changed us."
--General Susan Ivanova
Sleeping In Light

Hey PM! Nice to see you here!
smile.gif
Too bad we're both still ensigns. Oh well, one of these days one of us will be top dog!
cool.gif
Hopefully the other won't end up being chopped flarn or spoiled spoo or something!
shocked.gif

------------------
Sheridan to Bester:
And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Would he have become Entil'zha or just Ranger One?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that Sheridan was Entil'Zha, but only for the last two years of his life. "Entil'Zha" means something like "The One who Brings (or Builds) the Future." Thus the Entil'Zha is "The One" that the Rangers and Zathras will live and die for.

(The particle "Zha" means "future" in the language of the religious caste. It is used in the message Lennon has Sheridan give Delenn in In the Beginning. According to JMS the "spilt" "zha" of "Z'ha'dum" indicates a broken future, or no future. The complete word has carries the sense of "The Future's End.")

For most of the Ranger's history "The One" is Valen, since no leader of the Rangers holds the title after Valen's departure until the arrival of Sinclair as Earth's Ambassador to Minbar. (In the interim the title used is Anla'shok'Na or "Ranger One.")

The title of Entil'Zha is therefore rarely applied, and means something much more than "Ranger One" (As detailed in the novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows, which JMS has said is largely canon.) After Sinclair's departure, the title passes to Delenn. ("Grey 17 is Missing")

According to the Centauri Trilogy Delenn remains Entil'Zha until Sheridan is finally able to get the Interstellar Alliance to stop electing him President and he retires from politics. When Delenn is elected President in his place she relinquishes the title of Entil'Zha and it passes to Sheridan.

In "Sleeping in Light" it is stated that Delenn has been President for "two years", indicating that she was inaugurated around 2279, and that Sheridan has been Entil'Zha since that time. (Thus confirming both Zathras's statements that Sheridan is, "The One who is to be" and "...the end of the story that creates the next great story", and Londo's vision of Sheridan in "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari")

All indications are that only the three named by Zathras as "The One" ever bear the title of Entil'Zha: Valen/Sinclair, Delenn and Sheridan last of all. I believe the title languishes again after that, much as it did after the departure of Valen. Ivanova is presumably Anla'shok'na at the end of "Sleeping in Light."

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

The best explanation I can think of for G'Kar with a bunch of Rangers would be that Delenn asked him to check up on them as a personal favor. She'd be pretty busy and would need someone she trusted implicitly.

Also someone who would be respected.
Someone from Outside who would notice things another ranger might not.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
The best explanation I can think of for G'Kar with a bunch of Rangers would be that Delenn asked him to check up on them as a personal favor. She'd be pretty busy and would need someone she trusted implicitly.

Also someone who would be respected.
Someone from Outside who would notice things another ranger might not.

/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds very logical to me. Either someone asked G'kar to intervene or the saw something that forced him to get in touch with the Rangers. Although he has no official position, he is an old and trusted friend of Sheridan and Delenn. They might even have asked the Rangers to find G'kar because they need his knowledge and advice.

------------------

Back