• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Valen's fate

superoxide

Hey guys,
New member here. I have a question about the fate of Valen.
In the episode "Mind War", What did Ironheart mean by his final words to Sinclair? "Good-bye commander. I will see you again, in a million years."
To me it hints that Valen also evolved and became like one of the first ones and Ironheart.
Did JMS ever talk about it in the novels or any other place.

Thanks.

Hard to say. We know Valen's body was never found, but that's it. I take Ironheart's words to mean he would see humanity in a million years, not specifically Sinclair. In Deconstruction of Falling Stars we see that in a million years humanity has evolved to be like Ironheart, so the timeline fits there.

Welcome to the forum, btw!

hmm, yes his word can be taken as that but since Valen's body was not found that is why I was thinking on that line.
Sheridan's body was never found either, since he went to beyond the rim I thought may be Valen did too but I guess we will never find out unless JMS says something about it.

JMS has stated in the past that near the end of her life Delenn goes on a quest related to Valen, and that nobody sees or hears from her again. Are there any more details about this, and is it wishful thinking to assume that Lorien came back for Delenn and Valen as he did for Sheridan?

Springer, This is one of your posts, I just read it. Funny thing is that I was hoping something along the same line :)

Related question... Was Ironheart more powerful than the Vorlons?

He could reshape matter with his mind and had become pure energy with no form. The Vorlons still had physical form and were never shown to have telekinetic power, to my knowledge.

That's a question that hasn't ever occurred to me. He did seem to be more powerful in some ways than the Vorlons. Perhaps the Vorlons were more advanced in terms of the societies and tech they'd had time to develop, but in a way it does seem that Ironheart was in some ways superior to pretty much everyone in B5 except Lorien.

I don't like to think about stuff like this because it gives me a headache. The events of WWE 1 & 2 with Sinclair going back in time to become Valen are hard enough for me to wrap my simple mind around. :LOL:

That's a question that hasn't ever occurred to me. He did seem to be more powerful in some ways than the Vorlons. Perhaps the Vorlons were more advanced in terms of the societies and tech they'd had time to develop, but in a way it does seem that Ironheart was in some ways superior to pretty much everyone in B5 except Lorien.

It could be viewed as a hint at humanities potential to advance to that level or perhaps as the early part of the series not having such a well defined power structure and introducing a Trek like "man become god" kind of character.

That is actually probably closer to the real explanation. :tommie:

Yes, it was early in the writing, and the exact extent of the First Ones powers may have been tamed for later scripts.

I kind of like the idea that Ironheart evolved beyond even the First Ones. :cool:

Wasn't it rumoured amongst the Minbari that his body was kept cryogenically preserved on the Vorlon homeworld? Perhaps the Humans from The Deconstruction of Falling Stars will find him and wake him up.

Wasn't it rumoured amongst the Minbari that his body was kept cryogenically preserved on the Vorlon homeworld? Perhaps the Humans from The Deconstruction of Falling Stars will find him and wake him up.

As I recall, JMS said on one of the commentaries that Valen vanished. Similar to Sheridan, in fact.

Jan

That was my speculation in the Babylon 5 Historical Database.

Latest posts

Members online

Back