• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season 2 Episode 1 (and 2?) Title Sequence

Elipsis

Regular
So I'm watching the DVD series with a group of my friends, some of which have seen it before (we must be very very careful about spoilers) and 2 of whom have not.

I was incredibly careful to keep those 2 away from the box for Season 2 until after Season 2 Episode 1... (given that there are 2 spoilers on the box, Sheridan and Half-Human Delenn).

Then the title sequence for Points of Departure fires up and Delenn post-crystalis is shown in with the rest of the cast.

I read at the lurker's guide that they had a special edition of the open credits for the first two episodes... but apparently that did NOT translate to the DVD release of Season 2.

So when I watched the show with my girlfriend... I had to hide the Box... fly by the DVD menu... AND skip the opening sequence to not spoil Delenn. FFS.

Is anybody else trying to share the show with someone who has never seen it before and having a similar experience?

There were lots of episodes with modified openings that may or may not have made it to some editions of the DVDs (I think they just copied and pasted one episode's opening to all the others for each season).

Season 1:

Ko'Dath was credited on Born to the Purple in place of Na'Toth (actually that might have made it, will have to check)

Season 2:

First 2 episodes, as you said, didn't show Delenn transformed.

At some point midway through Sheridan's opening narration was rerecorded to give it more oomph.

Season 4:

Sheridan spoke Garibaldi's line until after his reappearance.

Ivanova was cut out of the Deconstruction of Falling Stars since she'd left at that stage, and replaced by a shot from Endgame.

Season 5:

The B5 shield was replaced by the psi-corps logo on the Corps is Mother the Corps is father. The B5 shield then appeared on the back of the station in place of JMS' credit, which appears below. This is the one I'm most annoyed about having lost.

Warner Bros. commissioned an outside company to produce new widescreen masters when the reruns were picked up by the Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S. They produced hi-res digital masters from the original film elements and the video-resolution master tapes of the CGI and composite shots. This cleared a major stumbling block for Warner Home Video, which had was convinced that the show would perform better on DVD in a widescreen release, but which didn't want to pay for new masters. Unfortunately, the contractor was not given detailed instructions on things like the opening (and in some cases closing) credits and the result was that they did indeed transfer one main title sequence for reach season, then attach that to every episode.

So the error predates the DVDs.

Regards,

Joe

Mr. Video Productions has recorded most of the different openings and made them available for download. The videos are very high quality. The only omissions are in season four. I've written the site's owner a few times over the years about this but he refuses to honor his word.

With regards to Region 2, the set I have for season 5 and possibly some earlier seasons retain the differences in the title sequence, I have the psi-corps logo for instance. I brought all my DVD's a while after they were released, they were probably from second batches.

Some fans in the UK wrote to Warners to get replacement disks.

Season 5:

The B5 shield was replaced by the psi-corps logo on the Corps is Mother the Corps is father. The B5 shield then appeared on the back of the station in place of JMS' credit, which appears below. This is the one I'm most annoyed about having lost.

Actually I just saw this episode and it did have the correct title sequence. I have a Region 1 DVD and I bought my copy when it was first were released in 2004.

Actually I just saw this episode and it did have the correct title sequence. I have a Region 1 DVD and I bought my copy when it was first were released in 2004.

In that case I think it may only be the early R2 releases (like mine) that are missing it. It was also missing the whole teaser from the Fall of Centauri Prime, but they were nice enough to send me a replacement disc. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back