B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 22nd 06, 21:15   #1
babylonfan
Commander

Star Gate SG1 cancelled

The future of Stargate is in question today, as SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running Stargate SG-1, Multichannel News reported today and a GateWorld source has confirmed. The news regrettably follows the airing of the show's milestone two-hundredth episode on Friday.

Stargate Atlantis, meanwhile, has been renewed for a fourth season, with the network hoping to see that the spin-off series can stand alone, according to a source.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...d_iatlan.shtml
babylonfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 21:34   #2
vacantlook

Re: Star Gate SG1 cancelled

It's in, what, it's tenth season now? That's a really long run.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 22:11   #3
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I was never a huge fan, and so I can't speak to the issue. Some claim the show has gotten tired and needs to end (a viable complaint about most long-running shows, I think...). But my gut reaction was still, "Well, shucks." It's another blow to sci-fi TV.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean SG Atlantis and BSG will be the only space-based scifi shows on air?
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 22:21   #4
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Well, S10 is only just starting, there's about 5 more before the break, and then it comes back in March for the second batch.

Dr. Who (Although British) returns on Sept 29, and S3 is getting ready to start filming, plus the spinoff Torchwood is coming up in the UK.

Who knows what will come up by next season. They aren't cutting the Season short, they're just not renewing it next year.

I never thought SG-1 was "the best show out there", but, it's generally pretty good, and I think it's as good as it's ever been.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 22:36   #5
Joseph DeMartino

I really do think there is a difference between "not picking a show up for another year" and "cancelled" - especially when a series has been on the air for 10 years and just broadcast its 200th frickin' episode. Especially whan the press release indicates that Sci-Fi announced the decision when they did precisely in order to give the producers time to wrap up storylines and bring the show to a satisfying conclusion. That just isn't the same as getting yanked off the air in mid-season because your ratings suck.

Also it is likely that the SG-1 actors/characters could turn up on Atlantis - even join the other series a la O'Brien and Worf going from TNG to DS9. The fact is that after 10 years a show like SG-1 becomes incredibly expensive to produce. Everyone involved gets an automatic raise year after year under the union contracts, and key personnel are able to negotiate for even more. And the show doesn't generate the kind of ratings that would make a network and a studio lose money on a show. Friends was the most expensive thing ever produced for television in its last couple of years (given the minute-for-minute cost) but NBC thought it needed those ratings to draw eyeballs and build up possible replacement shows. SG-1 never had remotely that kind of value to Sci-Fi.

I've only caught an episode here and there, but appreciate the fans being a little sad that the show is going off the air, but at least it is getting a decent send-off.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 02:17   #6
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

I hope that we'll get to see some of the characters on Atlantis. I do like SG-1, but admit I'm more of a fan of earlier seasons than what we have seen lately. Still, they're strong characters with a great following. It would be a shame if they just disappeared.
Boxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 05:23   #7
G Kar of the Kha Ri
First One

Send a message via ICQ to G Kar of the Kha Ri Send a message via AIM to G Kar of the Kha Ri

And there I was last Friday thinking, "man, SG-1 seems like it could go on forever."

I hope that they can wrap everything up well enough, though. Either that, or see if they can't find a new home for the show.
G Kar of the Kha Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 10:10   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
And there I was last Friday thinking, "man, SG-1 seems like it could go on forever."
You jinxed it! It's all your fault!

... sorry. Whenever I see a GKKR post, I'm automatically in Babbleon.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 11:28   #9
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

Quote:
I thought the same thing recently.

I was a late bloomer to SG-1 because I didn't have Showtime when it was on that network for 5 years. I eventually caught up through syndication and Sci-Fi Channel repeats. I think it's gotten better every year, and I've especially enjoyed the last 4 years.

I may be in the minority here, but I feel that SG-1 is one of the few shows--if not the only show ever--to successfully survive a major re-invention when Richard Dean Anderson left around the same time they elimited the Goa'uld threat. Bringing on a new team leader, new general, and a new enemy race in season 9--and at the same time have one of the lead actors on maternity leave for the first 6 episodes--was risky. And yet, they handled it much better than ever could have been expected.

There's supposed to be an announcement later this week about the future of the Stargate franchise. A producer has hinted that SG-1 is not dead, and I've read that having two simultaneous productions sharing writers, producers, directors, sets, special effects staff, etc., helps with cost, so my hope is that there will be a third Stargate show starting up with at least one SG-1 actor joining Atlantis and at least one other joining a new show. Maybe that's asking for too much.
Ninja_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 15:27   #10
vacantlook

Quote:
so my hope is that there will be a third Stargate show starting up
It really will be becoming the Stargate Channel.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote