• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Daily Show

Is the Colbert Report generally as funny as The Daily Show

No.
It's MUCH funnier.

Agreed!

I like Colbert, but I think The Daily Show is much funnier! :p

Colbert has basically one joke, his faux right-wing personna, where as Stewart, and the others on the Daily Show, present many more takes on things. I do think Colbert has improved quite a bit since he started with the separate show. Of course, Stewart is the producer of The Colbert Report, and I believe it was his idea, and he sold it to Comedy Central. Not that I think that diminishes Colbert at all. I just wanted to make it quite clear that they are colleagues/collaborators, not rivals.

Well obviously they're not rivals- Colbert got famous as a "correspondent" on the Daily Show.

Colbert's comedy is much more subversive. His "one joke" act is actually a brilliant way to efficiently unearth the great lies of our time. His monologues and interviews can better expose the folly of right-wing authoritarian bullshit in one moment than months of hearings, debates, and news articles can.

Well obviously they're not rivals- Colbert got famous as a "correspondent" on the Daily Show.

That would hardly rule out them being rivals, in fact that is why one might think that they are now rivals, Colbert having his own show.

But, yes, I like Colbert, and think he is funny, and effective. I just still like The Daily Show better. I like Stewarts changing moods, and the variety of the other "reporters."

That would hardly rule out them being rivals, in fact that is why one might think that they are now rivals, Colbert having his own show.

I tend to see Colbert having his own show being more like a promotion than a creation of a rivalry, if that makes sense.

Sure, calling it a promotion makes sense, it definitely was. But, that sort of promotion is often the cause of rivalry. When someone under someone gets made an equal, they often become rivals.

It's obvious that the two have no problems with each other. At the end of the Daily Show, when Jon Stewart introduces Colbert's show, sometimes it's fairly obvious these guys are friends. :beer:

And isn't the important point here that we have two really good make-fun-of-the-news shows? :)

The Daily Show has been celebrating its 10th yr anniversary by occassionally playing clip montages. A couple of weeks ago they played one of Steve Carrell and Colbert (who, as Stewart said, have since vanished into obscurity, wink-wink) arguing, when they used to do a take-off of debate shows. Hilarious stuff! Carrell is one hell of a comic actor.

Thanks Hyp for the links to the video clips. Just the thing I needed to cheer myself up after my fiancee went back to Uni.

I only asked about whether The Colbert Report was as funny as the Daily Show because I was wondering whether it would be worth e-mailling the channel here that broadcasts The Daily Show to see whether they would be interested in The Colbert Report as well. Yeah, they probably won't listen to me, but it's worth a try. :D

Until then, I always have the Comedy Central site clips. :)

I get the Global Edition of The Daily Show on CNN here.Even though I don't know half the people they are talking about I find it quite a good show.There is loads of clips from it on You Tube.

I like Colbert too, espcially his "Bill O'Reilly" impression. But, from what I've seen of him, he doesn't know when to turn a joke off, he has a habit of beating it into the ground to where it stops being funny and starts to become annoying. Not sure if he's still doing that, as I haven't seen him in some time.

he doesn't know when to turn a joke off, he has a habit of beating it into the ground to where it stops being funny and starts to become annoying.
dave1997wa4.jpg

Er... that is, if only his jokes were funny to begin with. :)

Back