• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Gate SG1 cancelled

Man, my news-writing mind kicked in when I read this....

The future of Stargate is in question today, as SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running Stargate SG-

I would say SG-1 is cancelled, it's pretty clear.

The news regrettably follows the airing of the show's milestone two-hundredth episode on Friday.

Why is that regretabble. Would it have been better before the 200th episode?

with the network hoping to see that the spin-off series can stand alone, according to a source.

Wow. I'm glad they have the source. I could never have deduced that they'd want that!

:D

But yeay, it's been ten seasons. Give it a damn rest already.

They're already doing a BSG spinoff?

Work, work, work....

Yeah. They've finished running the old one into the ground within two years, so they need something else to turn into crap. If they're really good it'll start crap.

Point of interest: Why would something named after a planet (Caprica) be spaced based? Isn't BSG already spaced based?

Caprica, is currently supposed to be a prequel, so, while it will have ties to the planet Caprica, I would imagine they will have space ships and such as well.

Oh, did they kill Helo?

No, they just killed good writing. :) Even the hotness of Tahmoh has not kept me to the show, which I've given up on by the end of season two.

That show started off so damn good, it really did. And it was "no technobabble, no Star Trek blah blah" arrogance. Then you have a woman with cancer cured by the blood of the half-robot/half-human baby. And that half-robot is actually another version of a robot who was in love with another crewmember, who for some reason decided to punch another woman's face to pieces. I could go on.

Well, I suppose I did ask, but that's a bunch of very interesting spoilers for someone who only saw up to "Pegasus." Fortunately I didn't understand the second half of it, and I'm not about to go back and read for clarity....

Sci-Fi is like a psycho girlfriend.

You want with all your heart to love her and cherish her, and you feel that spending time with her will change her, but just when you think things are finally going well, she reminds you that she's really just a crazy bitch.

SG-1 has reinvented itself more successfully than any other show I've seen... and did so not only after losing its main character (Richard Dean Anderson), but after ending the storyline arc that had carried it for 8 seasons (the Goa'uld arc). I'm loving the new "King Arthur/Merlin" arc, and the new enemies are even greater than the Goa'uld were.

The additions of Ben Browder and Claudia Black turned off a lot of people when the news broke. These are the same types of people who said Star Trek TNG would never amount to jack. As much as Browder's character of Cameron Mitchell seems similar to John Crichton, Claudia Black's Valla Maldoran is the complete opposite of Aeryn Sun.

A new article in Multi-Channel News has a couple of interesting quotes:

Stern added that under terms of its contract, the network’s decision to cancel the series prohibits MGM from making any new episodes of the show to air on U.S. television.

He noted, “If MGM came to us for less,” Sci Fi would be interested in more Stargate SG-1 fare, whether in the form of episodes, movies or miniseries. He would not disclose the network’s license fee to MGM.

Sounds to me like Sci-Fi is doing some hardball negotiating in the press, instead of behind closed doors, as would be appropriate.

Crazy bitch.

Wow, thats airing dirty laundry.

I've also heard movie rumors in SFX magazine, focusing around the original movie cast. If ture, where that leaves the TV show after 10 years is anyone's guess. It would seem a bit odd to ignore 10 years of a TV show though....

I really enjoyed the show, but was never an avid watcher. Later episodes are generally of a very high quailty.

Wow, thats airing dirty laundry.

I've also heard movie rumors in SFX magazine, focusing around the original movie cast. If ture, where that leaves the TV show after 10 years is anyone's guess. It would seem a bit odd to ignore 10 years of a TV show though....

I really enjoyed the show, but was never an avid watcher. Later episodes are generally of a very high quailty.

To make movies without acknowledging the TV series isn't so bad, different cast so easier to flow with it. One would hope thesse movies would take place in between the first two movies and the first TV Adventures, or early on in the TV adventures, and not bring up something that goes against TV canon. The thing that I have a difficult time envisioning, is how they can make these two movies, while ignoring the TV series, and then spinoff a series from them (As some rumors suggest) unless they go to an entirely different side story.

Well the spin off and movies again they took a crack at it in the 200th episode. They mention the their could be alternate universes where things are diffrent and they start the Puppet bit, where Daniel is clearly more the movie version than the sg1 version, they also have the movie description of how the gate works sort of making fun of it. Though some strange bits in that vignette were they had sg1 characters too.
Dosen't make it any better. And from what i hear the stargate movie sequeal would take place several years after the orignal movie.

Well, I am not am not shocked. It is now in the midst of its tenth season.

I am glad that they are at least giving the show a bit of lag time before dumping it. It will give them time to resolve dangling plotlines or move them onto Atlantis.

A part of me is saddened by SG-1's end. I did not subcribe to Showtime, and was jazzed when the show moved to Sci-Fi. However, for the past few years it has been in the back of my mind that the show was going the way of the Dodo.

I think they did a swell job of soldiering on after the departure of RDA. (Pun intended!) Some things worked for me and others did not.

I love Browder as an actor, but Mitchell was a humdrum character. His character never seemed to have any zip.

Claudia Black was another fav of mine. (Can you tell that I loved Farscape?) She, however, worked my last little nerve last season. However, when they brought her character back, I was shocked by how much I liked Vala. Kudos to the writers for coming up with a character unlike those that preceded her.

At any rate, there is nothing to be done. The show will soon be gone and that is that.

I hope that they are able to concentrate their efforts and make Atlantis a better show. Thus far, it truly has been SG-1's ugly step-sister.

I hope they flesh out their characters and give more thought to the show's plotlines. They need to beef up the roles of Teyla and Ronan (aka Conan and Xena). Right now they are dead weight.

Weir's stupidity has grown exponentially. They need to give that woman her brain back pronto.

Rodney's still is somewhat ha, ha, funny, but they need to move his character forward a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Back