• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Poll: What about the Crusade DVDs?

Believers

• Bought it, will keep it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bought it, will return it

• Rented it

• Will buy it as soon as I can.

• Will wait to see if they put back the commentary

• Will never buy it

• Put back the commenatry (I work in WB)

• Total voters
No question about it. Will buy it as soon as I can. Hope to get to a Best Buy before they close tonight. Boycotting the Crusade DVD Set is the wrong thing to do, and will send Warner Brothers suits the wrong signal.

If you want to let them know of your displeasure at their deletion of the JMS/TNT comments, write to them at Warner Home Video (assuming the Crusade DVD Set was at least partly produced by Warner Home Video.).

I probably will some day buy it, but have not yet and now won't for some time. I think it's disgusting that they lied to him. He gave them a choice, use it in full or don't use it at all, they agreed, and then they stabbed him in the back.

Bastards.

Look at the poll :p :LOL:
"Put back the commenatry (I work in WB)" was a joke option.

EDIT: PS: If you really work at WB Home Video, this licence requires that you do it. And if you don't do it, Chtuhulu will kill a kitten.

Oh, yes, I see. :LOL:

It just seems such a weird thing for them to do. JMS said himself that he said use it as is or don't whatever you prefer. Then to go and pull this: it seems unnecessarily shitty to me somehow. I mean, they DID have another option and supposedly agreed. :rolleyes:

I'm glad I don't work in that industry. I really am. :rolleyes:

Warner Home Video, a division of Time Warner Entertainment Company LP, 3903 West Olive, Burbank, CA 91505.

Bought it on Tuesday was through watching it on Thursday. Was looking forward to JMS's comments about TNT and very disappointed when I heard nothing.

Could it work in Europe?

I think I'm going to write WB UK about it. Season 5 of Babylon 5 comes out in region 2 as late as january, so there should be time to fix it before the Crusade set comes in the summer :p. Of course, they will get the material from WB US, but
<ul type="square">
[*] They might get unedited content because they need to make PAL versions
[*] Their word might carry more weight with WB US than ours do
[*] Since the European version mostly will only be seen by Europeans, and because we are blessed with a legal system that isn't quite as absurd as the US one, though they are getting more and more similar :rolleyes:, the probability of a lawsuit from TNT-Atlanta people being brought or won may not be as high for WB UK as it is to WB US. * , **
[*]Internal company politics over in the US may not carry over to the UK. (TNT is part of the WB conglomerate, but the UK people may not be as involved with the US side.)
[*] It would be an added value for the R2 set. Customers could either wait for the R2 set, or the real fanatics could buy both the R1 set and the R2 set. The way it is now, a lot of people in Europe are importing from the US, since the UK sets are so horribly late.
[*] £££ :D : We're customers. And highly lucrative at that. Babylon 5 was one of the shows that showed a reluctant WB that TV-shows on DVD made a lot of money.
[/list]

*: Since TNT and WB are both part of Time Warner, I think this is more about protecting internal peace, employee relations and studio politics than it is about lawsuits.

**: Libel/slander laws may differ widely though.
In some countries, you might be convicted for lying about somebody (this is how I want it to be).
In the US lying in non-commercial speech is a protected right. You have to show "actual malice" to convict, very hard to do.
In some countries, it's far out on the other end: There, you could be convicted for negative comments about somebody else, even if they're true! In Norway, although lying in non-commercial speech is protected, we have a tradition of disallowing negative true comments about named competitors in commercial speech. In some counties, this ban on true but negative comments even apply to non-commercial speech. :eek:
So maybe they would need to make two different versions of the set and chose one for release depending on the country.

Bought and will keep, and will write a letter to WHV this weekend expressing my unhappiness. I don't blame anyone who's on the fence if this tips them toward not buying it, though.

I completely understand why WB would not want JMS to comment on that stuff. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is their lying in order to get his cooperation - cooperation which was then used as a selling point.

I had it ordered as soon as it was announced. I will be keeping it. Unfortunetly it is the honest people who always get the shaft. I am not suprised that WB did what they did, money is all that counts in a business, we fans showed them that Babylon 5 was a money maker on DVD so their eyes lit up with dollar signs. Why would they let a little thing like honesty and fairness get in their way of making money.

I will be sending my voice out to let WB know I still believe in honesty and doing the right thing.

My copy has been despatched from Canada and is on it's way.
I intend to return it to the retailer as soon as it arrives and ask for a refund.
I realize that legally WB didn't mislead anyone (as it was JMS who said his TNT comments would be on the DVD, not WB), but it is my SMALL protest at the disgraceful way they have treated him.
I shall spend my money on another companies' product instead. :mad: :mad:

My copy has been despatched from Canada and is on it's way.
I intend to return it to the retailer as soon as it arrives and ask for a refund.
I realize that legally WB didn't mislead anyone (as it was JMS who said his TNT comments would be on the DVD, not WB), but it is my SMALL protest at the disgraceful way they have treated him.
I shall spend my money on another companies' product instead. :mad: :mad:

And your protest will look like a black mark against the show, not the suits who were dishonest. Funny how suits can deflect "bullets" away from themselves and have those "bullets" hit the stuff we like, isn't it?

If you're going to do that, make sure you write Warner Home Video a letter explaining exactly why you returned it, or else like Mac says, your protest will easily be construed as lack of interest.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back