• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deconstruction of Falling Stars - DVD question

Elenopa

Regular
Just watched 'Deconstrution' on my new DVD set, and was surprised to see Ivanova on the opening credits.

What gives?

She wasn't on the original transmission (They had a shot of the Agamemnon instead) and I'm sure she wasn't on the video release, so why is she on the DVD?

I know it was for contractual reasons that she was taken out, so I won't go into that here, unless anyone asks.

Part 4 of the old story that the same title sequence was used throughout the season when the episodes were converted to widescreen?

Part 4 of the old story that the same title sequence was used throughout the season when the episodes were converted to widescreen?
Yes, I think that the people who remastered the seasons for widescreen never had the idea enter their head that maybe slightly different title sequences should be used for some episodes in a season. They always just used the same "standard" opeing credits for every episode of a given season.

If you look back at the first couple episodes of season 2 you will see a similar error in the opening titles. Delenn is shown in her post-cocoon appearance, even though that is a pretty significant spoiler at that point. That is most definitely *not* the way the tilte sequence orginally appeared (they showed S1 Delenn until after we had seen the "new" Delenn in an episode). However, on the DVD's there is only one "standard" title sequence for all of S2 episodes.

The same thing happened with DoFS and the "standard" S4 titles.

They always just used the same "standard" opeing credits for every episode of a given season.

there is only one "standard" title sequence for all of S2 episodes.

This may just be me , but in the early season 2 title sequences , The voice over seems different .in the later eps , it seems more in tune with the situations .

If you look back at the first couple episodes of season 2 you will see a similar error in the opening titles. Delenn is shown in her post-cocoon appearance, even though that is a pretty significant spoiler at that point. That is most definitely *not* the way the tilte sequence orginally appeared (they showed S1 Delenn until after we had seen the "new" Delenn in an episode). However, on the DVD's there is only one "standard" title sequence for all of S2 episodes.

I just checked out my other DVDs and there are loads of inaccurices with the credits.

Season 1: Ko'Dath is missed.
Season 2: The Delenn transformation bit is correct (They must have listened for R2) but Ivanova never gets her promotion to commander.
Season 4: Garibaldi remains chief of security; so Zack never gets his promotion.

This is lazy work on the DVD makers I feel. What if they got to do Buffy? Those could change two or three times in a season. I remember poor Tara finally got on the opening credits for one week; the week she was killed.

This is one major gripe I have with the B5 sets. The opening credits were a part of showing that the story and universe in which they were set were not static, that things could change from week to week. It irked me somewhat.

Elenopa said:
What if they got to do Buffy? Those could change two or three times in a season. I remember poor Tara finally got on the opening credits for one week; the week she was killed.

Fear not. The opening credits for Buffy are intact, including the tribute to the wonderful Amber Benson as poor Tara.

Fear not. The opening credits for Buffy are intact, including the tribute to the wonderful Amber Benson as poor Tara.

I'm glad the credits are intact for Buffy, but there is one thing that was cut that I really, really, really wish hadn't been: the "previously on Buffy The Vampire Slayer" that's at the start of the fifth season finale "The Gift." It started slow all the way back with the beginning of season one, and slowly increased in speed with shots from throughout the seasons, ending in a tumultously flurry of images that then exploded into the openning scene of the camera flying down the alleyway where the boy was being chased by the vampire. The other Previouslys mattered not, but this one particular one had massive style and impact on how that openning scene of the alleyway is viewed.

American NTSC version, right? (Stupid question since Season 5 isn't out in PAL DVD yet?)

Except that DoFS is season 4 not 5, and that certainly is out in PAL for R2.

:D

This may just be me , but in the early season 2 title sequences , The voice over seems different .in the later eps , it seems more in tune with the situations .

That was certainly the case. IIRC Bruce did the original voiceover before the visuals were ready, and they just didn't quite hit the spot, so once the title sequence was sorted out JMS had Bruce re-do it and the result was a more punchy versions that gelled better with the images.

This is lazy work on the DVD makers I feel.

While the DVD makers have had their ... erm ... difficulties, I don't think this is their doing. I am sure I read a comment from JMS confirming that the DVDs had been done using a straight transfer of the credit sequences from SFC's widescreen broadcast versions, and it was SFC who had used a single credit sequence per season.

Unless someone specifically told them to check that the sequences tallied with the original 4:3 broadcast version, why would they not just assume that the most recent version was correct.

Of course I could be wrong - it's not like that would be anything new!

Juast had a thought about Season 5, and someone from R1 should be able to tell me.

What credits are used for 'The Corp is Mother the Corp is Father', because they were quite significantly different?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back