• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'Revenge of the Sith' reviews (Spoilers)

Re: \'Revenge of the Sith\' reviews (Spoilers)

We see Luke in the bacta tank for barely any time at all. As far as we know, he was only in there for a couple of hours.

I personally found the making of Vader scene in RotS to be psychologically scary. One of the things Anakin had always wanted was more control over things in his life. He was a slave, and had little control over how he and his mother were treated. He was a Jedi and had to live by a code of conduct which prevented him from having romantic relationships. And then, here after having his body destroyed nearly to death, he's being locked away behind a mask with displays filling his all of his vision, forced to use mechanical means to be able to breathe, and all of his limbs are machines.

That scene would have been awesome and it was pretty cool to watch, especially as the mask came down and you could see his eyes. This whole part was ruined for my by the 'NOOOOOOO!!'

I loved how evil Sidious was in that scene. I think he told Vader that he had killed Padmé just for the sole purpose of making Vader angry so he himself could revel in the wake of the power of his new apprentice as Vader Force-crused the droids and walls around him.

I loved how evil Sidious was in that scene. I think he told Vader that he had killed Padmé just for the sole purpose of making Vader angry so he himself could revel in the wake of the power of his new apprentice as Vader Force-crused the droids and walls around him.

Oh he definitely got a Force-chubby from that. But also he was just hammering in the last nail into the Sith coffin- now Vader really has nothing else but power and servitude to live for.

When Vader was at the edge of the lava pit, couldn't he have used similar Force rage to lash out at Obi Wan? Though I guess he was just in too much pain.

A couple of us got into this crap @ work and one dude asked why Vader never used that dark side force lighting dealy. One guy said it was because Anakin had a robotic arm and since Force comes from living tissue, the missing arm didn't allow him to do that trick. If so, it also means that post-OB1 ass-kicking Vader was very much weaker than Darth Vader was supposed to be.

I assumed that the lightning would screw up his life support.

I'm sure he was weaker than he would have been. I also wonder if Palps didn't give Vader the best available parts so he would be easier to control.

A couple of us got into this crap @ work and one dude asked why Vader never used that dark side force lighting dealy. One guy said it was because Anakin had a robotic arm and since Force comes from living tissue, the missing arm didn't allow him to do that trick. If so, it also means that post-OB1 ass-kicking Vader was very much weaker than Darth Vader was supposed to be.

That's the impression that I got as well. As powerful as Vader was, he was just nowhere near as powerful as he would have been had he not been mutilated. This did disappoint Palpatine, who saw Luke as a better, "more whole" replacement for his damaged apprentice.

Vader's power may have even diminished further over time, as the older Vader never displayed powers of destruction on par with the scene in Revenge of the Sith. He was still king of the Force Choke, but he never did use Force Lightning. It was Force Lightning, in fact, that killed him the Return of the Jedi.

As powerful as Vader was, he was just nowhere near as powerful as he would have been had he not been mutilated.

One of my first thoughts was why Palpatine even bothered saving him. And, other than the fact that episodes IV-VI wouldn't make sense if he didn't, Palpatine really had nowhere else to turn for an apprentice. For all intents and purposes the Jedi are now extinct, with the possible exception of some stragglers here and there. I really don't know how he got any other of his apprentices, so it may be even easier than I think. How did he come across Darth Maul? I have a pretty good idea how he and Dooku would have connected up.

Seeing the movie today (finally) I realize how much I just don't remember from the original trilogy (eps 4-6).

Could Palpatine see somewhat into the future?

I agree with a lot of what I read about the movie. Both good and bad. There was more character development this time around, but still groanable lines during the "love" scenes. And yea, the gal gets depressed and within (what was it?) hours is dead? I wish Lucas had just killed her off in a bit more of a realistic way.

And yea, by the end there weren't any other Jedi to recruit.

I'm glad I went to see the film. I took great care to not need a bathroom break for 2.5 hours, but that wasn't hard skipping having any caffeine in the morning (went to the 10:30 a.m. show).

It was worth seeing in the theater now that all of the annoying kids were out seeing Batman. :D

And yea, the gal gets depressed and within (what was it?) hours is dead? I wish Lucas had just killed her off in a bit more of a realistic way.

Star Wars is not now, nor has it ever been, exactly realistic. It's an updated mythological tale -- a fairy tale almost -- so Padmé dying of grief fits fine provided one doesn't get stuck in one's expectations.

It was worth seeing in the theater now that all of the annoying kids were out seeing Batman.

Hee hee hee!!!

hyp wrote:
Could Palpatine see somewhat into the future?

Well, anyone sufficiently strong in the Force can get a sense for the future. But as Yoda warned, "Always in motion is the future." The Emperor knew Luke would show up at Endor and face Vader, but he didn't know that Vader was going to sell him out. His grasp of the future was not as strong as he thought it was.

Ep 3: Great movie, superb entertainment, gave me the shivers on several occasions.. now the story is complete! Yay!! :D Bravo George Lucas!!

:LOL: Hey there, CE. I take it you ... disagree. :)

I was very glad I saw it. It was fun to watch, the dialog wasn't as horrible as it was in the previous two, and it was kind of a kick to see it all wrap up to its own beginning.

Maybe some of the plot points seemed a bit contrived, by now I knew not to expect great entertainment, just a kind of mindless romp through Vaderland. :)

Star Wars is not now, nor has it ever been, exactly realistic. It's an updated mythological tale -- a fairy tale almost -- so Padmé dying of grief fits fine provided one doesn't get stuck in one's expectations.

It's a story for an audience, and the audience has a right to think its stupid.

It's a story for an audience, and the audience has a right to think its stupid.

Yes, and that thinking of it being stupid is built upon expecations within individual audience members who want it one way, but are being given it another. "Focus determines your reality" after all. Nothing wrong with disliking it, but dislike it and then move on; stop carping about it at every given opportunity (not saying you, specifically, are, but there are so incredibly many people who do).

Back