• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (SPOILERS)

Chilli

High Treason Prevention Officer
Ha! First! :p

Not that I'll be able to look into this thread for a few days to come, only have gotten to page 115 :D .. suspect this thread might just be needed though :p

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (SPOILE

My town had a big huge Harry Potter book release night last night. The whole downtown area was blocked off, and the local stores were open, and they made a big event of it. I didn't go, but I know a guy who had a shirt made up with one BIG spoiler from this book, and was going to walk around with that printed on his shirt and see how many people got pissed at him.

Haven't heard from him today, so maybe it didn't go so well. ;)

This thread says SPOILERS loud and clear, right? So I can say this without getting my throat cut?

In case not SPOILERS TO THE END OF THE BOOK BELOW:

Spoiler space

*Hypatia weeps and weeps and weeps and weeps*

I kind of knew, but hoped against hope this would NOT be. I must say, I do admire JKR's writing. But I must go off and weep now. :( :eek:

I know a guy who had a shirt made up with one BIG spoiler from this book, and was going to walk around with that printed on his shirt and see how many people got pissed at him.

If no one has been allowed to even peek inside the book before release, on pain of death, how did he know the spoiler?

I probably won't read this thread again. Even though I am not giving in to the hype this time, I still don't want to know what happens. I'll wait until I can borrow a copy off someone.

If no one has been allowed to even peek inside the book before release, on pain of death, how did he know the spoiler?

There are always ways. You just can't keep things super air-tight no matter how hard you try. If theres a will, theres a way...

There are always ways. You just can't keep things super air-tight no matter how hard you try. If theres a will, theres a way...

I have the book, & I know the big spoiler, but I'm not saying! :p

It *is* sad, though... :(

Tammy

Can someone Private Message me the spoiler? I don't read the books and the movies are renters at best. I'd rather someone just tell me. :)

I was impressed with HBP. JKR managed a good balance of darkness and humour, answering questions and setting up for the grand finale.

Heh. This is a spoiler thread yet everyone's avoiding saying the really big spoiler. :D
I thought it was well written yet again and like Hyp I didn't want for my suspicions to be right. Two things are rolling around my brain now. First I'm wondering if it was planned that way because it was obvious that he was losing his edge. Secondly, if Harry couldn't land a curse on the prince when he was that close then he'll have big trouble fulfilling the prophesy.

I am 99.9% sure Snape is *not* evil and is doing exactly what Dumbledore wanted him to do. What entirely convinced me of this was how Dumbledore suddenly had a look of pleading in his eyes when Snape arrived. He MUST have known he was done in when he noticed the trap .. he can't have been pleading Snape to leave him alive. If Snape had not killed him, someone else would have. He MUST have been pleading Snape to keep his cover, at every price, which I am sure they had both agreed on beforehand. Especially since Dumbledore seemed quite aware of Malfoy's plan .. and quite was building up Harry to stand on his own in this book. My suspicion is that he instructed Snape to act as he did already early in the book, when first catching wind of the plots being knitted.

All in all, quite a good book. Won't beat my all-time favorite The Prisoner of Azkaban :D .. but I want the next book. Want want want want want :eek:

Yeah I think the "please" was please do it yourself and get them out of here before they find Harry. After all Harry wasn't exactly guarding his thoughts and Legilmens seem to have a sense when someone wearing an invisibility cloak is about.

Snape and Dumbledor's argument was probably about letting Draco continue his plan and the need to keep Harry safe over even Dumbledor if not actually agreeing to sacrifice Dumbledor.

I would guess R.A.B would be Regulus Black, although I haven't looked to see if he was given a middle name.

God I hope she gets the next one done quicker than the two year guess that's out there.

I hope it doesn't take 2 years also! Considering, especially, that I read this one in 2 days. I couldn't help it.
Pretty good read!
The kids are ready to kick some ass.

Regulus Black crossed my mind too.

And from what I gathered, 2 years seems like a safe guess actually. Rowling has noted that she won't start writing the next book till the end of the year and that she is a bit afraid of writing the end, so it might take time .. which is fine with me .. in principle :D .. in reality .. gwaa! Want book! Gimme book! :D ;)

There will be one movie, probably two, coming out before the last book is published, right? Maybe only one. Yes, it will be a long Potter-less stretch. :)

There is an interview with JKR (part 1 of 3, I think) at mugglenet.com but understand it does contain major spoilers from book 6. She discusses as much as she seems to think she can about book 7.

Yeah I've read the interview and two years does, unfortunately, seem to be reasonable.

You've got the movie for Goblet later this year, than Phoenix next year, and HBP the year after during which book 7 would probably be out so it's not really that much of a gap.

Finished it last night. My inital reaction of 'meh' was turned to suprise with the ending, I knew it was going to happen, i just was'nt sure it was going to happen like that. A twist after five books of anticiaption was great. I felt moved, and think she really pulled it off.

The book was still overlong though, 300 pages of teenage moping etc could have been cut, same as the previous one. To be honest, i'm not sure what kind of movies books 5 and 6 are going to make, the plot drags throughout the bulk of each book with clues building up to the finale. i'm not sure kids would sit through all of that in a theatre.

The end was just about worth it though. I'm also having reservations about some of the writing. Her style has improved no end, but shes' trying to write teenage characters whilst at the same time appealing to both a younger and an older audience. The darker aspects of the story are hinted at but never fully realised, even with the restrictions of the audience.

If you like your Potter and can't wait two years, then read Philip Pullman's Dark Materials Trilogy. You should also check out 'The Dark is Rising' sequence by Susan Cooper. Written 20+ years ago, it is clearly a massive influence on Rowling. I read them as a kid and loved them. They are also in many ways truer to English and cletic mythology than Rowling's somewhat cod attempts.

Terribly emotionally draining. I knew it was coming either end of book 6, or very early on in Book 7, it just had to happen. Still didn't prepare me. JKR is not graphic at all with the actual deaths, they're just kinda spit out, and happen in an instant. But the aftermath, the sorrow conveyed by the other characters is heartwrenching, especially Hagrid, I even teared up over his heartbreak at Aragog's death.

I actually expected an invasion, because Dumbledore had died, not causing Dumbledore to die.

I wonder if another Secret in the Chamber, is that it holds a Horcrux? Would that be duplicating an idea, since the Diary was destroyed there, or does that count as something she could do without it seeming duplicated, since the Diary wasn't actually hidden there? And what about the room in the Department of Mysteries full of "Harry Power"? How does that work into this?

Did Lily put a part of her soul into Harry? I've suspected this since the wait between GoF and OotP. Would that be considered a Horcrux since she is dead? Is there a charm similar to a Horcrux that would result in this, that allows a person to die, but, leave the piece of their soul behind? Did Harry have Lily's eyes before that Halloween night? Is that maybe why it's been brought up repeatedly how important it is that Harry has Lily's eyes?

I agree, I can't imagine Dumbledore pleading for his life, he must have been pleading with Snape to get the job over with, in the cave with Harry pleading with Harry to force him to drink the potion was foreshadowing this. But, then, if Snape was loyal to the Order, how could he reconcile the Unbreakable Vow, where he went so far as to say he would finish the job, if Draco failed? he agreement with Dumbledore to finish the job must have occurred before Chapter 2, if indeed we are interpretting Snape correctly.

Thanks for the R.A.B. I knew it should ring a bell, but, I couldn't come up with Regulus.

I knew Ginny never gave up on HArry, she just moved on with her life while she waited for him, and became more desireable to him in the process. And it appears Ron and Hermione may finally be being honest about their feelings for each other.

In an interview JK said Harry's mom did not know what the result of her sacrifice would be. It doesn't seem like she did anything intentionally, after all it was a form of magic few knew anything about.

The teenage love part seemed quicker and not as big an interruption in this book compared to the last as far as I was concerned.

But, then, if Snape was loyal to the Order, how could he reconcile the Unbreakable Vow, where he went so far as to say he would finish the job, if Draco failed? he agreement with Dumbledore to finish the job must have occurred before Chapter 2, if indeed we are interpretting Snape correctly.

My suspicioun throughout the book was that Snape would/could die .. either him or Dumbledore. Was susecting that Snape maybe made the vow in order to get into Voldemort's inner circles, planning all along to sacrifice himself by not going through with the Unbreakable Vow.

And I do wonder if Harry's scar could be a Horcrux .. can't see how it could be Lily's unless she killed someone (though of course, that is not impossible) .. possibly Voldemort's, if making the Horcrux through killing Harry went wonky, but still somehow succeeded since he was killed? Would that mean that ( a ) Harry would somehow get rid of his scar before killing Voldemort ( b ) Harry would have to die in order for Voldemort to be killable?

Waa! Want book! :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back