• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Online Chat with Warner Bros scheduled for June 6.

Re: Online Chat with Warner Bros scheduled for Jun

I'd like to ask them when they are going to release two of my favorite movies of all time, which they have been promising for a few years. :rolleyes:

The films are O, Lucky Man, and The Devils.

Tonight's chat is limited to TV and Animation releases, they covered feature films in the last chat. I joined late, but as far as I can tell nobody's asked about Brimstone. Since someone has asked about Night Court (under consideration) and that was the only show I was really curious about, I'll ask about Brimstone if I get a chance to ask a question.

Joe

One piece of good news: WB plans a restored and remastered release of all 17 Max Flescher Superman cartoons, despite their being in the public domain and having had several earlier releases.

Joe

Sorry, never got a chance to ask a question, and nobody else asked about Brimstone that I know of. I'll check the transcript tomorrow.

Regards

Joe

Well, I love Fleischer Bros. work, and the Superman cartoons, which were WAY ahead of their time, so I am glad they are doing that. But, I didn't know that WB ever owned them, they were originally owned by Paramont, I believe, like most Fleischer stuff. I know they sold some Betty Boops to Republic for peanuts, so maybe WB bought them, or maybe WB doesn't own them, and can do them, because they are now PD. I own the LD version, and that looks pretty good. Real improvements could be startling!

Apparenlty the actual films fell into the public domain, so anybody who gets his hands on some prints can transfer them to DVD and sell them, but the underlying rights to the Superman character belong to DC Comics, which is owned by Time Warner, and the video rights are held by Warner Bros. So anybody wanting to produce supplements or create new restoration prints that have been altered in any way (and therefore be subject to copyright as "new" works) featuring Superman would have to go through Time Warner and WB.

That's why Warner Bros. remains the home of the Superman and Batman films and that animated features based on them and related characters. Everything is kep in house.

Regards,

Joe

Makes sense. I hadn't thought about it in terms of who owns Superman, vs. the animation.

Makes sense. I hadn't thought about it in terms of who owns Superman, vs. the animation.

Yeah, strange things happen with intellectual property rights (and real property rights) over time. When the cartoons were produced Fleischer would have licensed the character directly from National Periodicals Publications, which published the "DC" line. Warner Bros. was still being run by Jack, Harry and Sam, and Time, Inc. consisted of a grand total of three magazines.

Regards,

Joe

Sorry, never got a chance to ask a question, and nobody else asked about Brimstone that I know of. I'll check the transcript tomorrow.

No need. Nobody mentioned it. What, me surprised? Naah.

I'll drop WHV a note. Yeah, like that'll do any good. :LOL:

I'll drop WHV a note. Yeah, like that'll do any good.

Hey, I started lobbying WHV to release Babylon 5 on DVD in 1997. They largely ignored me through HTF chat after HTF chat until I finally got a cautious "under consideration." In November 2000, at Studio Day at Dave's Video in Los Angeles, I cornered a WHV rep and got the word that there would be a B5 DVD release in 2001. They just made it under the wire, releasing the cheesy 2-TV movie "test disc" in December of that year. (A concept I'd suggest to them in a letter in 1998. :))

But they did finally release the show, remember? :D

Regards,

Joe

I'll drop WHV a note. Yeah, like that'll do any good.

Hey, I started lobbying WHV to release Babylon 5 on DVD in 1997. They largely ignored me through HTF chat after HTF chat until I finally got a cautious "under consideration." In November 2000, at Studio Day at Dave's Video in Los Angeles, I cornered a WHV rep and got the word that there would be a B5 DVD release in 2001. They just made it under the wire, releasing the cheesy 2-TV movie "test disc" in December of that year. (A concept I'd suggest to them in a letter in 1998. :))

But they did finally release the show, remember? :D

Regards,

Joe

But Brimstone is a 13-episode, long dead series that isn't riding on the coat tails* of <u>anything</u>. Big difference.

* like Crusade did with B5.

If they think they can release Brimstone at a profit, they will. That simple. Don't forget, with a 13 episode cancelled series there's really nothing else they can do with it that might make them any money. Maybe The Sci-Fi Channel will offer a pittance for it so they can run a "Chain Reaction" sometime, but other than that, Brimstone would normally be a dead loss for WB. TV-on-DVD is the only way that a cult show like that can eventually make a profit, provided expenses can be kept low and there is a big enough potential audience.

The other thing that determines when a project is released is internal scheduling and production capacity. A marginal properties like Brimstone won't get pushed to the head of the line like a feature film or a current series. But at some point there will be some slack in the production schedule. If in a given year a bunch of blockbusters are being prepared for the end-of-year holiday season and all the current TV series are scheduled for release in August to let fans catch up in time for the new fall season, space might open up on the assembly lines in June or July for the Brimstones of the world.

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back