• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Can't Remember Episode

Gelo

episode, can't remember which.

It was an episode in which a membari class ship above the White Star class was intoduced.

Are you referring to Call to Arms? That was the movie that set up Crusade and introduced the Victory class destroyer...but that was an Earth-Minbari project rather than strictly a Minbari one

Or maybe from Legend of the Rangers the flying brick, I believe it was called the Valen.

You would bring up that memory. <shudder> I maintain "That TV movie never happened." That was a "Jump the Shark/Nuke the Fridge" thing if there ever was one.

Not everyone thoroughly disliked Rangers as you and many, many others did. :p

Yeah, some people supposedly liked the Rangers TV movie/pilot better than Crusade. :eek: Personally, I think they're either disingenuous or nuts.

Also, I didn't thoroughly dislike the Rangers TV movie/pilot; it had about 5 minutes of good footage, and a few good, new characters. Gotta get a new DVD recorder so I can edit my SVHS copy of the Sci-Fi Channel Broadcast down to the good bits, and make a short. That way I can see the good without having to wade through the awful. (Yes, I'm completely serious about that.)

I conversely do not thoroughly like Rangers. Some of it does bug me, like the seemingly endless repetition of "live for the one, die for the one"; it's like, stop, we get it already!

I conversely do not thoroughly like Rangers. Some of it does bug me, like the seemingly endless repetition of "live for the one, die for the one"; it's like, stop, we get it already!

Some of Rangers TV movie/pilot gives me a true, physical shudder, like I just received a chill. While there are a few lines in Crusade that I wish could have been written differently and better, none actually made me shudder.

ps. "Conversely" doesn't quite work there unless you quote my "Yeah, some people supposedly liked the Rangers TV movie/pilot better than Crusade. Personally, I think they're either disingenuous or nuts." line, because after all, we both didn't like the Rangers TV movie/pilot. ;)

Last edited:
"Conversely" works fine. You hold one position -- it sucked, but not totally; flip that and you've got my position -- it was good, but not totally. Quoting directly from my desk dictionary, converse: "Reversed in postion, order, or action. The rerverse or opposite of something."

"Conversely" works fine. You hold one position -- it sucked, but not totally; flip that and you've got my position -- it was good, but not totally. Quoting directly from my desk dictionary, converse: "Reversed in postion, order, or action. The rerverse or opposite of something."

OK, when I first read your "I conversely do not thoroughly like Rangers." I blew right by the "thoroughly" bit.

I simply never bothered with Rangers. But then, I never got around to A Call to Arms and Crusade, either.

I simply never bothered with Rangers.

IMHO, you shouldn't.

But then, I never got around to A Call to Arms and Crusade, either.

IMHO, you definitely should, even though Crusade is open ended (unfinished).

How about Dell #7, #9 and the three Del Rey trilogies?

Title: Book #7 The Shadow Within
Author: Cavelos, Jeanne
Timeframe: 11/2256 - 01/2257
Isbn1: 0-440-22348-2
Copyright1: April 1997
Publisher1: Dell
Isbn2: 0-345-45218-6
Copyright2: December 2002
Publisher2: DelRey

Title: Book #9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Author: Drennan, Kathryn M.
Timeframe Marcus in 10/2260, recalling events of 1/2259-9/2260.
Isbn1: 0-440-22354-7
Copyright1: July 1997
Isbn2: 0-345-45219-4
Copyright2: July 2003

Title: Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps
Author: Keyes, J. Gregory
Timeframe: 2115-2189
Isbn1: 0-345-42715-7
Copyright1: October 1998
Publisher1: DelRey

Title: Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant
Timeframe: 2189-2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42716-5
Copyright1: March 1999

Title: Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester
Timeframe: 2271-2281
Isbn1: 0-345-42717-3
Copyright1: October 1999

Title: Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Author: David, Peter
Timeframe: ~10/2262-12/2266. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42718-1
Copyright1: December 1999

Title: Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark
Timeframe: 12/14/2266-04/18/2272. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42719-X
Copyright1: May 2000

Title: Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness
Timeframe: 05/14/2273-01/21/2277. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42720-3
Copyright1: November 2000

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows
Timeframe: 11/2258-12/31/2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42721-1
Copyright1: March 2001

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light
Timeframe: 1/2259-2/2259
Isbn1: 0-345-42722-X
Copyright1: July 2001

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness
Timeframe: 8/2260-2261
Isbn1: 0-345-43833-7
Copyright1: December 2001

Man, you just cut and paste that list into any post you can, don't you? I sold you my Technomage books, remember?

IMHO, you shouldn't.

It's not good, but it's B5 so I forgive most of its faults and will watch it when I'm working my way through everything B5 related.

IMHO, you definitely should, even though Crusade is open ended (unfinished).

Definitely, A Call To Arms isn't just the best B5 TV movie, but it's a great sci-fi movie period.

I've said it many times, but I absolutely loved Crusade. The acting, the score, the locales, the mythos, I loved everything about that show, and that one lone season ranks up there with seasons 2 and 3 of B5 and just below season 4 in my mind.

Title: Book #7 The Shadow Within
Timeframe: 11/2256 - 01/2257
Isbn1: 0-440-22348-2
Copyright1: April 1997
Isbn2: 0-345-45218-6
Copyright2: December 2002

It's Cavelos, so I like it, a lot. She was able to make you feel for Morden and actually empathize with why he chose the path he did. Plus, any and all insight into Z'ha'dum and the Shadows is choice.

Title: Book #9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Author: Drennan, Kathryn M.
Timeframe Marcus in 10/2260, recalling events of 1/2259-9/2260.
Isbn1: 0-440-22354-7
Copyright1: July 1997
Isbn2: 0-345-45219-4
Copyright2: July 2003

Top be honest I wasn't a big fan of this novel. It's cool form the pure fanboy perspective, you get find out all kinds of neat tidbits about what Sinclair was up to after he left B5, what Sakai was up to, and Marcus before he came on the show. You also get a good look at the Minbari life as well as at the differences in the Vorlons. But, it doesn't contain anything close to resembling a plot, it's juts a collection of events thrown together so the we can be privy to some big events in the universe.

Title: Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps
Timeframe: 2115-2189
Isbn1: 0-345-42715-7
Copyright1: October 1998

It's cool for much of the same reasons that book #9 was, but it has a tad bit tighter of a plot. The entire history of teeps and hearing about descendants of characters we know from the show was cool and it did allow you to connect with all the various characters. However, I felt it was a bit too thin in order to accommodate so much information and history and the narrative suffered a bit because of that. It's good, but the thinness stops it from being great.

Title: Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant
Timeframe: 2189-2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42716-5
Copyright1: March 1999

This is pretty much the same as book #1, but it's a character study so the jumps in time aren't as jarring because we stay with Bester through the whole thing. To see how his character is both not evil in any way and yet completely evil was very compelling and well done. It really tied into the last book and was a great read.

Title: Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester
Timeframe: 2271-2281
Isbn1: 0-345-42717-3
Copyright1: October 1999

Easily the bets of the trilogy, it both humanized Bester and made him worse because of his actions after he's been made more human. It had Garibaldi spitting fire all over the place, some great action, and a very interesting story with some great pathos.

Title: Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Timeframe: ~10/2262-12/2266. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42718-1
Copyright1: December 1999

Title: Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark
Timeframe: 12/14/2266-04/18/2272. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42719-X
Copyright1: May 2000

Title: Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness
Timeframe: 05/14/2273-01/21/2277. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42720-3
Copyright1: November 2000

I remember liking these quite a bit, but I haven't read them in some time. They are next in line for a reread after I finish rereading the Techno-Mage Trilogy.

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows
Timeframe: 11/2258-12/31/2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42721-1
Copyright1: March 2001

Just finished rereading this today, tremendous book. I already liked Galen as a character from Crusade, but this gives him so much depth, and it gives all the Techno-Mages so much depth. They aren't just fancy wizards with powers, they are people and this novel allows you to experience their fears, loves, and all that makes them just as "human" as you or I. The way the powers are described is excellent and the way it ties into what we know from the show and specific events from the show is really great. The plot is also very tight, cohesive and completely works, supplying plenty of intrigue and action. Great, great novel.

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light
Timeframe: 1/2259-2/2259
Isbn1: 0-345-42722-X
Copyright1: July 2001

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness
Timeframe: 8/2260-2261
Isbn1: 0-345-43833-7
Copyright1: December 2001

Can't wait to finish reading these again, I've never hidden the fact that out of everything B5 ever written, or shown on TV, I consider the Techno-Mage trilogy to be the best. I can't wait to continue with this series and rediscover all those great elements that first caused me to hold it in such high regard.

Last edited:
Man, you just cut and paste that list into any post you can, don't you?

Yeah, I keep trying to get people to read. Usually, it's like pulling teeth. (You want me to do what? READ? :eek: Isn't that stuff out on audiobooks?)

I sold you my Technomage books, remember?

I've bought sooo many, trying to get the out of print stuff into the hands of those who didn't buy them when they came out, and who want to read 'em now, that it's hard to keep track.

To be honest I wasn't a big fan of this novel. It's cool form the pure fanboy perspective, you get find out all kinds of neat tidbits about what Sinclair was up to after he left B5, what Sakai was up to, and Marcus before he came on the show. You also get a good look at the Minbari life as well as at the differences in the Vorlons. But, it doesn't contain anything close to resembling a plot, it's juts a collection of events thrown together so the we can be privy to some big events in the universe.

Re. To Dream in the City of Sorrows, I found it pretty dry, much like the next book. One more thing we found out was the origin of Marcus' Minbari Fighting Pike, which connects to Delenn's observation from the show, that it is very old. Yeah, 1000 years old. ;)

It's cool for much of the same reasons that book #9 was, but it has a tad bit tighter of a plot. The entire history of teeps and hearing about descendants of characters we know from the show was cool and it did allow you to connect with all the various characters. However, I felt it was a bit too thin in order to accommodate so much information and history and the narrative suffered a bit because of that. It's good, but the thinness stops it from being great.

Re. Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps, I thought it was pretty dry.

Just finished rereading this today, tremendous book. I already liked Galen as a character from Crusade, but this gives him so much depth, and it gives all the Techno-Mages so much depth. They aren't just fancy wizards with powers, they are people and this novel allows you to experience their fears, loves, and all that makes them just as "human" as you or I. The way the powers are described is excellent and the way it ties into what we know from the show and specific events from the show is really great. The plot is also very tight, cohesive and completely works, supplying plenty of intrigue and action. Great, great novel.

It certainly adds a lot of backstory to the Technomages. One minor nit is that in the books, Galen appears to be much more powerful, adept and in control at the end of Book 3 (2260) than he does in Crusade (2267).

I very much enjoyed the Legions of Fire books, which Koshfan sent my way. KoshN, thanks for recommending that series to me as it was quite fascinating background to Londo's time as Emperor.

It certainly adds a lot of backstory to the Technomages. One minor nit is that in the books, Galen appears to be much more powerful, adept and in control at the end of Book 3 (2260) than he does in Crusade (2267).

I always took the difference in his character to signify how he was very powerful, but understood that the majority of his power he had to keep under wraps, lest he lose control and hurt people. On a personal level I don't think he was in control at all when book 3 ends, because he still had yet to come to grips with who he was and what the universe was, etc..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back