• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

More B5 on the way?

AnlaShokGrey;371931...I know this is something that B5 fans find hard to swallow said:
It makes sense, it was more of a British-style of writing.

I have heard it said that JMS popularized the use of the concept (and term) "arc"/"story arc" in the USA. I admit, I hadn't heard it used before, with television series in the USA.

So, did he catch the front of a new "wave" of some kind of unified storyline in t.v. series in the USA? Or is that a bit of a myth?

AnlaShokGrey;371931...I know this is something that B5 fans find hard to swallow said:
It makes sense, it was more of a British-style of writing.

I have heard it said that JMS popularized the use of the concept (and term) "arc"/"story arc" in the USA. I admit, I hadn't heard it used before, with television series in the USA.

So, did he catch the front of a new "wave" of some kind of unified storyline in t.v. series in the USA? Or is that a bit of a myth?

Yea, I couldn't name "arc" as what really fascinated me about 1970s/80s+ Dr Who or Blake's 7 or "V", but by the time B5 and DS9 arrived, I too had learned "Arc" as what I liked about it.

I still have a bad feeling in my stomach about the chances of something new in the B5 universe but if it does happen, I can't think of a network it would find a home at. SyFy is obvious but I know they wont spend money on it. Yes, a big motion picture would be great but as it has been mentioned before, it is hard to see B5 on the big screen as it is more suitable for tv with its long arcs. So my guess is for something like the Lost Tales dvd. A mini series of maybe the Telepath war, released straight to dvd over a period of several months. Maybe Warner Brothers convinced JMS to agree to such an approach after deciding to put a good amount of money into the project ?

So my guess is for something like the Lost Tales dvd. A mini series of maybe the Telepath war, released straight to dvd over a period of several months. Maybe Warner Brothers convinced JMS to agree to such an approach after deciding to put a good amount of money into the project ?

That would certainly be the ideal situation, IMO. Fingers crossed!

If its a feature film, then there are many events in the B5 universe you could go to. I'm not going to post story ideas (respect to Joe) but there is lots of unexplored territory. Could also work in Mini series format.

On the other hand Wb could always re-boot the series.

Given how fans reacted to WB demanding recasting of the characters in exchange for funding the proposed Memory of Shadows film, I doubt that a reboot of the series would go over well.

Given how fans reacted to WB demanding recasting of the characters in exchange for funding the proposed Memory of Shadows film, I doubt that a reboot of the series would go over well.

Right. There is absolutely no need to reboot the Babylon 5 TV series.

Is there any hope that enough money could be made to actually get the Telepath War? That would be nice, but how can now be the prime time to strike on that project idea?

Sweet as it would be, it is hard to see any station seeing this as a way to boost ratings.

Make something in England, then we could swap series with them. Torchwood comes over here, and B5 over there? :p

Then we'd have a chance to see both. :LOL:

Is there any hope that enough money could be made to actually get the Telepath War? That would be nice, but how can now be the prime time to strike on that project idea?

Sweet as it would be, it is hard to see any station seeing this as a way to boost ratings.

Make something in England, then we could swap series with them. Torchwood comes over here, and B5 over there? :p

Then we'd have a chance to see both. :LOL:

B5 was more popular in Europe than here, and I wouldn't mind a B5 Series that ran a tight season with a season long arc, ended in a way it could be expanded upon, or left as is. Brits often complain about "Catering to Americans" on some co-productions, such as Torchwood or Dr. Who episodes (over on TrekBBS), I wouldn't mind a little catering to the Brits in a B5 Series.

And...He did spend all that time in England awhile back

So being that B5 was more popular in Britain if there is a B5 movie it might make sense to release it first in Europe. For some reason, I think this coming Monday is the day when JMS lets us know exactly what, if anything is going to happen in the B5 universe. Just a guess of course. But I wish, I was a telepath and walked by JMS at an airport somewhere. I do not think he would mind a quick peak inside his mind. Would he ?

dunno that B5 was overly popular in Britain. To me B5's success has been and will always be the fact that as a saga you buy it on DVD. It was only shown on Channel 4 in the uK and had ok - if not spectacular viewing figures. I always felt it needed to be shown on one of the main 2 channels (BBC1 or ITV1) to be a success.

For me it's strength is in its 'sense of wonder'. JMS created a galaxy spanning epic with enough possibilities to enable him to create stories within the B5 universe for as long as he would wish.

So my guess is for something like the Lost Tales dvd. A mini series of maybe the Telepath war, released straight to dvd over a period of several months. Maybe Warner Brothers convinced JMS to agree to such an approach after deciding to put a good amount of money into the project ?

I think JMS is pretty firmly against any more straight-to-dvd projects. People have talked about this elsewhere, always including something about how "if WB gave it a good budget" JMS might be amenable. But the point is: you *don't* get a good budget on a straight-to-dvd project, because the projected returns are markedly less than something that airs on tv first.

After the first one, JMS was ready, willing and able to do another as long as there was a substantially better budget than the first. Then, reportedly, there was an arrogant response when he pointed out that there was a writer's strike coming and later, the offered budget wasn't any better. After that, JMS said no more unless it was a big budget film. Since then he's added the possibility of a series but again, with a proper budget and creative control.

Jan

After that, JMS said no more unless it was a big budget film. Since then he's added the possibility of a series but again, with a proper budget and creative control.

Jan

Thats the way I understood it. What would be the point of more 'Lost Tales'?

Big budget feature film please? :thumbsup:

After the first one, JMS was ready, willing and able to do another as long as there was a substantially better budget than the first. Then, reportedly, there was an arrogant response when he pointed out that there was a writer's strike coming and later, the offered budget wasn't any better. After that, JMS said no more unless it was a big budget film. Since then he's added the possibility of a series but again, with a proper budget and creative control.

Jan

He also voiced concerns at the quality of LotR and TLT, as he later described them as 'subtracting from the legacy, rather than adding to it'. He also said that he wouldn't care to make them again. Gotta admire his honesty.

Oh oh. Comic Con is almost here and I thought JMS said he would have something to say on the matter of B5 before then....and nothing so far. Anyone else a little nervous ?

In general, JMS doesn't get to decide when an announcement about a project. It's up to the people who buy it.

Jan

Quick repeat of what I've posted elsewhere about the JMS spotlight at Comic-Con this afternoon:

RE: B5 Yes, there was a B5 thing in negotiations (yes, good budget - yes, full season commitment, yes, creative control) for a new distribution system but that venue never materialized.

BUT - after this, JMS went to them and said that if they weren't going to do A, B & C, let him do D, E & F. So there are negotiations going on but nothing he can talk about in detail.

in other TV news, he'll shortly begin writing a pilot for a show called 'Epidemic' that's got a some oversees companies bidding on it (and looking for a US partner).

Jan

Quick repeat of what I've posted elsewhere about the JMS spotlight at Comic-Con this afternoon:

RE: B5 Yes, there was a B5 thing in negotiations (yes, good budget - yes, full season commitment, yes, creative control) for a new distribution system but that venue never materialized.

BUT - after this, JMS went to them and said that if they weren't going to do A, B & C, let him do D, E & F. So there are negotiations going on but nothing he can talk about in detail.

in other TV news, he'll shortly begin writing a pilot for a show called 'Epidemic' that's got a some oversees companies bidding on it (and looking for a US partner).

Jan
So, possibly Web-Series was agreed on, with good budget, but when it came time to lay out the actual money it fell apart?

However, Plan B is still in the works?

And if nothing he's writing a Pilot for a show called "Epidemic"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back