• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

More B5 on the way?

What was Ridley's latest flop?

Robin Hood cost $200m and has made only $105m to date.

Kingdom of Heaven cost $130m and has made only $47m to date.

In fairness to the latter, the studio is to blame and not Scott. The theatrical cut is severely trimmed down because the producers wanted a film more akin to Gladiator (a film with more emphasis on action over intrigue and character.

It falls flat because too much hangs on Orlando Bloom and that just doesn't work.

The Director's Cut restores 45 minutes of deleted footage and works and flowsca LOT better. The characters are better developed and there is even an entire plot arc restored to the film (concerning Sybilla's son, Baldwin V). It's much more an ensemble piece and better for it. This later version has been significantly better received by critics and audience alike.

Punk was never as popular as Disco, sad as that may be. "No Aliens" was never as popular as "Aliens." Arguably the humanoid cylons from the RDM BSG were alien.

Cylons were either pure machine or a human/machine hybrid. That's not alien.

Certainly they weren't human, though they were semi-compatable with us.

They were augmented humans.

Depends on how you define aliens. The Jaffa and Nietschians from SG and Andromeda are also 'augmented humans,' and are clearly portrayed as alien as any other extraterrestrial species in either universe. The Borg were an alien species that used humans (And other) bodies for their own purposes. Ditto Heinlein's Puppetmasters. Lem goes into the whole question of whether or not a sapient machine can be considered a different species, and concludes that it can.

The Humanoid Cylons were somewhat telepathic with their own kind, were resurrectable, had a completely different social order than humans, and were effectively immortal. They look like us, but they ain't us. If you're going to argue that they aren't alliens in all-but-name, then you're going to have to argue that Guinan and Troi from TNG aren't aliens as well.

Has enough time passed since April that I won't be seen as a dick asking if there is any new news on this?

It's a question JMS is asked almost daily on FaceBook and Twitter. So far the answer is still that he can't talk about anything. The good news is that he still can't talk about anything because if whatever it was/is/will be was no longer in process, he could probably talk about it.

I think...

Jan

Hollywood types don't tend to discuss in detail failed projects, do they?

TNT was, of course, a note-worthy exception. But normally don't most failed efforts end cordially enough that no one wants to make anyone else look bad? ;)

Hollywood types don't tend to discuss in detail failed projects, do they?

TNT was, of course, a note-worthy exception. But normally don't most failed efforts end cordially enough that no one wants to make anyone else look bad? ;)

Eh, after the "wind up", one would hope he would at least say, it was supposed to be XXXXXXXXXX, but that didn't end up coming together

Keeping in mind that I don't really know what I'm talking about, I think it depends on the project. There are a lot of projects that just end up in 'development hell' and stall out. Sometimes things go pretty far and then can't go all the way, such as with the TMoS movie.

However, when JMS was asked directly just a couple of nights ago, he said:

@straczynski any new projects in the B5 Universe in the works?
20 Jun ↑

@straczynski
JMichael Straczynski That's a far more interesting question than you might imagine...but I can't talk about it at the moment.

So it would seem that whatever it might be is still a ball that's in play. Otherwise I don't think he'd have answered at all.

Jan

And I do know we're all just playing a big guessing game. :D

It would be nice, maybe. It may not be nice. I will say that I like some of what JMS does, and I think the best sci-fi show ever made was made by him.

But who knows, maybe someone is willing to take another shot at their own "Star Trekian" franchise. :)

Today JMS has posted several joke twiters ending in the word DISMISSED.

Several jokes could mean (a) JMS is very happy or (b) JMS is very sad.

Of course, there's no indication at all that he was doing anything other than joking around on Twitter. No sense trying to read something that's not there.

I'm really enjoying his fractured definitions!

Jan

Over on Facebook JMS made some important announcements and someone asked him about more B5. JMS said that was a seperate annoucement and he would have something to say on the matter before comic con. So it is etheir good news or bad news obviously. For some reason, just by the wording; I have a bad feeling about this.

I think it's also worth noting that on the Babylon 5 Facebook page — the one that WB mysteriously took official control of some months ago — they have made an announcement about the WB being at ComicCon, and you should grab their ComicCon schedule, and they have new tv, etc. I mean, there's nothing of substance there, but I also do not see them taking official control of any of their other 90s-era tv shows and making ComicCon announcements on *their* pages. I'm just saying.

I think it's also worth noting that on the Babylon 5 Facebook page — the one that WB mysteriously took official control of some months ago — they have made an announcement about the WB being at ComicCon, and you should grab their ComicCon schedule, and they have new tv, etc. I mean, there's nothing of substance there, but I also do not see them taking official control of any of their other 90s-era tv shows and making ComicCon announcements on *their* pages. I'm just saying.

The CW ?

Over on Facebook JMS made some important announcements and someone asked him about more B5. JMS said that was a seperate annoucement and he would have something to say on the matter before comic con. So it is etheir good news or bad news obviously. For some reason, just by the wording; I have a bad feeling about this.

Courtesy of Jan, who found it for me:

"Dukhat said that when there is good news, we always ask if it is true or not, because it is so hard to believe. When there is bad news, we rarely inquire, because it is always so easy to believe."

Forell in "Lines of Communication".

[devilsadvocate] May just be an easy and efficient method of targeting that particular demographic [/devilsadvocate]

When it comes to new B5 projects, I've learnt not to get my hopes up!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back