B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 11th 17, 04:31   #121
hypatia
First One

Re: Game of Thrones, HBO series

I have no idea. Yes, I had read/heard the fan theory that the undead Dragon was the real objective of the Night King.

I'm almost uncaring who wins the throne. I just want to know where Arya will end up.

In this universe, Daenerys might make sense as a world leader. But she kind of represents a kind of religious fundamentalism that makes me kind of route for someone else.

As far as the Jon Snow question: can the undead impregnate the living? Why not? Everyone else does in this story.
Old September 11th 17, 19:48   #122
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
In this universe, Daenerys might make sense as a world leader. But she kind of represents a kind of religious fundamentalism that makes me kind of route for someone else.
You know this is so crazy. I've always tried to put into context what puts me off about Daenerys and I think you just summed it up. Don't get me wrong I love her character, but I've always felt the adoration she has gained has a tenuous status; as the show has shown repeatedly. I think her most volatile followers are the ones who seem like they could turn on her at any moment, the Dothraki. She has taken them out of their entire way of life; a VERY violent and barbarous way of life. I keep feeling that if she is to have a downfall it will be because they withdraw their support or they turn on her. Her followers only follow out of a sense of devotion and devotion can be fickle if it isn't providing what you want. She has completely uprooted most of the Dothraki culture and turned it on it's head. If it were reality she likely would not be able to keep bending them to her will for long. I half expect that if we do have a war with Cersei then one of the pitfalls Daenerys faces if preventing the Dothraki from raping and pillaging, as has always been their way of life. One failing the show has is that it as never really given us much positive to root for in the Dothraki.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th 17, 05:18   #123
hypatia
First One

Spoiler for for Hypatia:
I hadn't thought of that, actually. They seemed pretty steady to me, to have crossed the sea also kind of commits them to something. But yea, that can change. And she's already lost one dragon. Do you think they'd follow her if she lost all three?

Last edited by hypatia; September 18th 17 at 02:31.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th 17, 05:27   #124
Kraig
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Should I be worrying about spoiler code? I forgot how to do that.

[SPOILER] I hadn't thought of that, actually. They seemed pretty steady to me, to have crossed the sea also kind of commits them to something. But yea, that can change. And she's already lost one dragon. Do you think they'd follow her if she lost all three? [/SPOILER]

(spoiler=for Hypatia]Content[/spoiler]

Spoiler for for Hypatia:
Replace the open parenthesis "(" with open an open bracket "["

More BB code can be found here.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 17, 02:32   #125
hypatia
First One

Thanks a lot, Kraig!
Old April 18th 19, 16:10   #126
Looney
Telepath

Okay people, SEASON 8 who is watching?
Old Yesterday, 04:18   #127
Sinclair

I'm watching. What did you think about the season premiere?
Old Yesterday, 09:51   #128
Springer
Ambassador

I'm watching it. Loving it, it's my favourite modern-day series, has so much in common with B5. Was a little indifferent on my first watch of the season premiere, but after a couple of rewatches I warmed up to it. I'm still not sure about the dragon ride though, I appreciated the writer, Dave Hill, sought to include some humour, presumably before the rest of the season becomes very dark, but the dragon ride I think verged a little too much into parody. I loved the soundtrack to the dragon ride though, while jovial it had a militaristic undercurrent which I think could come more to the fore as a soundtrack if Jon rides Rhaegal to fight the Army of the Dead (or perhaps he'll have to fight Dany? - they seem to be setting those two up for a possible conflict).

I think the first episode just needed to get all the inevitable reunions out of the way so they could get on with the story. I'm looking forward to episode 3 in particular!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:42   #129
Looney
Telepath

Loved the episode.

Loved the reunions. VERY disappointed we did not see the Mormonts meet.

The Dragon ride serves a purpose. The fact that it was humorous is just a bonus.

If logic dictates Jon will likely tell Sam to keep what he knows to himself. If the truth is exposed then I hope it leads to very little tension between Jon and Daenerys. I highly doubt there would be a dragon fight between those two. If it were possible Jon would lose quickly because Drogon definitely has the advantage over Rhaegal.

Sorry but my theory is Jon is doomed. His two purposes with regard to the story have always been the revelation of his true origin and defeating The Night King. He has never sought to be a leader; leadership has always been thrust upon him. My guess is Jon will finally die defeating The Knight King. He has already died once so in the realm of long serial narratives that led to the creation of this series, , his life is on borrowed time.

The end of the episode has to be top 5 for all endings in the series.

And just to keep you updated. I watch the show on Monday nights at a friends house. So I won't be posting anything about the next episode until Tuesday.

Last edited by Looney; Yesterday at 16:49.
Old Yesterday, 20:23   #130
Springer
Ambassador

We get it at 9pm on Monday evening in the UK too (also at 2am, but I wait until the evening). It means I have to pretty much avoid the Internet all Monday to avoid spoilers!

I must admit Jon is my favourite character, so I'd prefer it if he lived, but I accept there's a good chance that he won't. So long as he goes out like a boss, I'll accept it! I wonder though whether dying defeating the Night King is too predictable? I half expect him to beat the Night King, then get shot and killed by accident by Bronn with the crossbow while aiming for Jaime. That would be really shocking but very typical for this show!

But the thing for me that makes me think there's more to his story is the fact that he's the heir to the throne. Why tease us about that for so long, and then just kill him? In that case he might as well not be the heir. His heritage has got to factor into the endgame somehow.

I do predict he's going to die at least once more though, only for Melisandre to bring him back!
I guess we'll find out soon enough!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote