• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The No Speculation Thread - News Posts Only Please

Re: The No Speculation Thread - News Posts Only Pl

>Comics (ALL of 'em)?
>"But in Purple..."?
>TV (if any)?
>Animation (just covering all bases)?
>Shared Universe?
>and....whatever it is that you're not able to tell us about this week?
too bad he missed TMoS part :)

Yea no kidding. If he was indeed working on something, you would think he would at least make some sort of small off-hand reference like the last 100 posts when he hinted at it.

That post of his is just plain odd...

Damn i've missed alot in the year since i posted last. I know this is kinda off topic (but it was mentioned in this thread so please forgive me joe :)) but when did when did Richard Biggs (think that's mispelled, kinda fubard right now) pass away??? Like i said, i've been outta the loop for a bit. It's cool that the ole B5 wheels are still trying to grind out new stuff for use to enjoy though.

Regards,
Jerome

That post of his is just plain odd...
Lets analyse the posting.

Two projects rejected => JMS upset, twice.
CBC radio project given go ahead => JMS happy.
Radio project being syndicated to BBC => JMS proud. Also JMS may be nervous about joining their list of writers. Hope for future work from Auntie?

Book publisher changed => there may have been a row => JMS upset
New publisher => JMS relieved.
New tv series given go a head => JMS happy but may be worried whether he can do it.

TMoS not announced yet => not fully green lit => JMS getting very, very nervous (the stuff about hope).
TMoS probably being merchandised by WB. JMS hates merchandising – strangers send him notes.

Talk of the time when show runners are hired may be a rely to fans posts or JMS may have submitted a new series. New series => JMS nervous.

Living away from home tends to wreck your private life. Anyone know the state of his marriage?

All the above conflicting emotions will be going on at the same time and can be detected in the posting.

Teekas, he died some time ago. I forget just when, but it was several months ago, I think. IIRC he died from some kind of undiagnosed heart problem.

Tim Choate (Zathras) also died recently, in a motorcycle accident, I believe. Jan has been running some auctions to benefit their families.

Just to catalogue the latest rumor (hey that kind of things my job, ok!)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7515

Babylon 5 Movie Starts Filming in April
Source: Production Weekly
December 8, 2004

Steven Beck will direct a big screen adaptation of the popular sci-fi TV series Babylon 5. The movie, titled The Memory of Shadows, is intended for theatrical release and was written by series creator J. Michael Straczynski. Production Weekly reports that the project starts filming this April in the UK.

In "Shadows," the technology of the ancient and extinct Shadow race is being unleashed upon the galaxy by an unknown force, and Earthforce intelligence officer Diane Baker, whose brother was recently killed in a mysterious explosion, it out to find out who is behind the intergalactic conspiracy.

Joining her is Galen, a techno-mage who has been charged with keeping the technology out of the hands of those who would abuse it.

See also:
http://www.productionweekly.com/site.html

Not sure about the sources, but it looks theatircal for sure!!! :D

'Babylon 5' Movie Rumored To Be In Works

Author: Michael Hinman
Date: 12-08-2004
Source: Cinescape

With movies coming everywhere from former television series, it's no surprise that "Babylon 5" is next on the list.

The Production Weekly Web site is reporting that there is a "Babylon 5" movie in the works, and that it will have elements from both the original series, and the failed spinoff series, "Crusade."

According to the rumors -- which have been circulating on the Web for quite some time -- the motion picture is being called "The Memory of Shadows." If rumors are true, filming will begin next April in the United Kingdom with Steven Beck directing. J. Michael Straczynski, who created the original series, apparently has developed the story and written the screenplay.

So, what would a new B5 movie be about?

"The technology of the ancient and extinct Shadow race is being unleashed upon the galaxy by an unkonwn force, and Earthforce intelligence officer Diane Baker ... is out to find out who is behind the intergalactic conspiracy," the site reported. "Joining her in her investigation is Galen, a technomage who has been charged with keeping the technology out of the hands of those who would abuse it."

Cinescape has pointed out that Galen was the name of a character in "Crusade," which lasted a short time on television. That character originally was played by Peter Woodward, but it is unclear whether or not he would appear in a new film, or if the role is going to be recast.

Straczynski himself has been pretty mum on an ongoing movie project, But last October, the creator did make a Usenet posting where he said that "for the first time in five years, there is an office somewhere in England with the words 'Babylon 5' on the door."

Beck, 30, is still pretty new to the business. His only credit -- according to the Internet Movie Database -- was an associate producer for the film "Alma Mater" in 2002, a film with unknown actors about a 1960s Harvard University professor having an affair with his male teaching assistant.

Of course, none of this has been confirmed by anyone, so please treat this as you would any other rumor.

I just received an email saying that filming starts in April, and providing a link to productionweekly.com, which basically said what the comingsoon.com release said.

Hardly confirmation, probably just rumor propogation. But this should at least get things rolling -- the rumor will either be confirmed or denied shortly. (And if it's neither, I'd read that as confirmation in part.)

ALL of the news that has been posted today originates from ONE source....production weekly. One site posted the "rumor" or story, and all the others reacted to it. If that one site is wrong, there is nothing, if they are right, then we are in business.

Just dont mistake all this activity for fact yet. So far everyone is pointing back to that one single website.

TMoS news from Empire

Just read this on www.empireonline.co.uk

Babylon 5 Goes Theatrical

The last, best hope is upon us
09 December 2004
All things considered, sci-fi fans get something of a raw deal. Not only do you have to sit back and seethe quietly when your favourite shows are rescheduled to accommodate random sporting events, but you must also watch powerless when works of genre genius like Farscape and Firefly are summarily cancelled without good reason. And let's not forget the ridicule of your peers – wearing that Klingon ceremonial garb to your school reunion isn't something you're likely to live down in a hurry.

Still, all the years of degradation and shame can be washed away by news that a theatrical Babylon 5 movie is in production, has found a director and is destined to begin filming in the UK this April.

Anyone wondering what we're on about clearly doesn't know their bat'leths from their zatni'k'tels and is thus beyond redemption, but for the rest of you this will be very good news indeed. Created by J Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5 saw its fifth and final series air in 1998, only to be followed by two lacklustre spin-offs, Crusade and Legend of the Rangers (or Anla'shok to those in the know). The series was also blessed with a number of straight-to-TV movies over the years but none of these ever did justice to the original show's abitious story arc.

All that may be set to change, however, as Babylon5: The Memory of Shadows moves forward. Scripted by Straczynski himself and to be directed by Steven Beck, the story sees the technology of the long-departed Shadows being unleashed on the galaxy by an unknown enemy. Earthforce intelligence officer Diane Baker is entrusted with the mission to discover the truth behind it all, aided by techno-mage Galen – who you may remember from his appearance in Crusade.

There's no denying the fact that it might well be rubbish, but for fans of the show this is Babylon 5's last, best hope.

Re: TMoS news from Empire

Looks like another site posting the same news from the same source. At this point we need a post from good Ol' JMS in regards to the recent productionweekly.com announcement confirming or denying it. :)

It could be a 'Harry Potter and the Fingernail of Doom" moment (pardon me, I don't remember the 'fake' title put out by a fan who just wanted to get a laugh...

Harry Potter and the Green Flame Torch was the rumored title of the 4th book before it came out, which JKR named HP and the Doomspell Tournament, and then eventually became HP and the Goblet of Fire. The new book had a rumored title in the last year of HP and the Pillar of Storge (How the heck do you make that accent thingy above the "E"), which JKR followed up by telling us the real title was HP and the Half Blood Prince.

I notice most of these B5 announcements have typos in them. The first post, there's a sentence which makes absolutely no sense, I have no idea what it's trying to say. And this latest one is missing an "M" in ambitious. Also, I came up with the same information about Steven Beck, just the one movie credit for Assoc. Producer of Alma Mater, but, Jan (or possibly someone else, my apologies if so) corrected me saying it should be Steve Beck (director of Ghost Ship).

If the rumor is false, hopefully it will be discounted quickly.

Babylon 5 Goes Theatrical

The last, best hope is upon us
09 December 2004

All things considered, sci-fi fans get something of a raw deal. Not only do you (The author is not including himself in the group.) have to sit back and seethe quietly when your favourite shows are rescheduled to accommodate random sporting events, but you must also watch powerless when works of genre genius like Farscape and Firefly are summarily cancelled without good reason. And let's not forget the ridicule of your peers – wearing that Klingon ceremonial garb to your school reunion isn't something you're likely to live down in a hurry.

Still, all the years of degradation and shame can be washed away by news that a theatrical Babylon 5 movie is in production, has found a director and is destined to begin filming in the UK this April.

Anyone wondering what we're on about clearly doesn't know their bat'leths from their zatni'k'tels (an SG-1 ref.?) and is thus beyond redemption, but for the rest of you this will be very good news indeed. Created by J Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5 saw its fifth and final series air in 1998, only to be followed by two lacklustre spin-offs, Crusade and Legend of the Rangers (or Anla'shok to those in the know). The series was also blessed with a number of straight-to-TV movies over the years but none of these ever did justice to the original show's abitious story arc.

All that may be set to change, however, as Babylon5: The Memory of Shadows moves forward. Scripted by Straczynski himself and to be directed by Steven Beck, the story sees the technology of the long-departed Shadows being unleashed on the galaxy by an unknown enemy. Earthforce intelligence officer Diane Baker is entrusted with the mission to discover the truth behind it all, aided by techno-mage Galen – who you may remember from his appearance in Crusade.

There's no denying the fact that it might well be rubbish, but for fans of the show this is Babylon 5's last, best hope.

With all the Trek-droppings in that news story, and the advancement of the stereotype, I think the author should be visited by the NBS, or a Ranger and his denn'bok.

All things considered, sci-fi fans get something of a raw deal. Not only do you (The author is not including himself in the group.){snip}

The sterotypical Englishman will frequently use "you" when talking about himself in the third person. "You" is also a plural.

Newsonly: Film Jerk talks of re-casting, more plot

Even more detailed plot rumors here: Film Jerk note

SPOILERS? (if true)
The story follows Diane Baker, an Earthforce Intelligence Officer whose brother is killed in an explosion. She teams up with Techno-Mage Galen, previously played by Peter Woodward but whose part is being re-cast, to find the truth behind her brother's death. They discover that dark forces are unleashing ancient Shadow technology--technology that was supposed to be guarded by Galen--and the two uncover a huge conspiracy.

So far, the only original character participating is Elizabeth Lochley, played by Tracey Scoggins. She is still the commander of Babylon 5. She is friends with Diane. Part of the action takes place on B5, as the station is taken over by Earthforce Marines, including new lead character Colonel Joss Morgan.

Galen will battle childhood friend and Techno-Mage, Tyrell. Tyrell is sort of a mercenary, with an agenda of his own. Are you seeing Gandolf fighting Saruman in your head right now? You know you are. I can only imagine we'll see more original cast members on the station. Believe me, I'll keep you all posted. Damn, it's good to be back!

EDIT: Follow-up to: Latest Speculation thread or uh-oh....this doesn't sound good.

Re: Film Jerk talks of re-casting, and more about plot

I have little respect for someone that can't spell Gandalf.

As for the rest, time will tell if it is true.

Right, letters are in the post, just in case :mad:.

However there are a few things about this rumour that just don't make sense to me...

Those of you with long B5 memories will recall that WB asked JMS about a B5 feature film a good many years ago, they wanted to re-cast all the roles and JMS quite rightly told them to go jump. With this in mind, surely JMS would have sorted out the casting issue FAR earlier in the film process, not whilst pre-preduction had started? I'm going to make the assumption that JMS would never go ago along with a re-cast B5 movie and would rather walk out. I guess it's possible that WB is reneging on some earlier promise not to re-cast.

Do we have any idea when the casting sheets actually went out? If it were earlier than a few days ago then surely JMS would have known about it. He seems pretty sure in his latest postings to the MOD group that he'll be doing a lot of publicity for something in the coming months, this can't realistically be anything else other than TMOS. If it really was on a knife-edge I don't think this would committing to these kind of appearances.

If there really was a problem that the fans could help resolve, i'm SURE that by some mechanism JMS would let the fans know. He's master of the obtuse, he would find a way.

I do actually think a B5 movie would be better off at New Line (owned by WB) and not the WB mothership itself. New Line have a history of delivering moderately budgeted, successful genre pictures and more importantly tend to stay true to the source material. I think that if the situation deteriorates then a letter campaign to New Line to take over the B5 film would be sensible. WB have a habit of screwing these things up.

I don't think there is another TV show where the fans are put though so much stress for so little :confused:

Those of you with long B5 memories will recall that WB asked JMS about a B5 feature film a good many years ago, they wanted to re-cast all the roles and JMS quite rightly told them to go jump. With this in mind, surely JMS would have sorted out the casting issue FAR earlier in the film process, not whilst pre-preduction had started? I'm going to make the assumption that JMS would never go ago along with a re-cast B5 movie and would rather walk out. I guess it's possible that WB is reneging on some earlier promise not to re-cast.

Have you seen the recent JMS post about the commentary on Crusade DVD set? Where he was told by WB he could relate the TNT/Crusade story, and then they edited that piece out of the commentary?

Back