• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Famke back for X3

Sinclair

Looks like we were right when we suspected the next one would be about the Phoenix saga. I'm still not sure when this is scheduled to be released.

Someone explain to me what this whole Phoenix stuff is. I never read the comics so Im not familiar with the story, but I know it comes from there. Its not really a spoiler since its already in print somewhere IMO...

This kind of explains it. I only read the X-Men comics for a few years (late '80's to early '90's, I believe). I just remember hearing about it and watching it on the animated series in the early '90's. Someone else may be able to better explain it.

That site pretty much explains it. Im just curious how they will use that in the movie since they have to eliminate so many characters from the movie that were involved in the comic series. The Phoenix does come back later on in the X-Men as the daugher of Jean Grey and Scott Summers from an alternate reality/universe. It is a great storyline and one of the best from X-Men.

Why the mighty GKarsEye shall attend a showing of this film:

pics_famke_01.jpg

Even though the Dark Phoenix saga is one of my all-time favorite comic book stories, I'm not so sure that you can truly capture it in a live-action film. I mean Phoenix wasn't just some pretty red-head with cool mental powers, she was a cosmic force ... up there with Galactus, the Watchers, the Celestials... etc. I mean she took out entire planets. And the best part of the saga will probably have to be axed, which had to do with the Shi'ar empire sitting in judgment over Phoenix and the X-Men having to choose whether to let them kill her or help her escape, knowing that her destructive nature will harm millions.

With the ending of X2 making it seem as if the movieverse Jean Grey became Phoenix-y due to "evolution leap[ing] forward," my guess would be if that's how they have Phoenix being in the next film, that that'd definitely cut out any possibility of the Shi'ar showing up. If for the movie they do do it quite differently, but still do it well, I'll be glad, though I know there will be quite a few people who'll continue being rather pissed that the movies aren't stories exactly as told in the comics.

As long as they can somehow capture how the X-Men are conflicted by their love for Jean and their need to stop the all-powerful destructive being that she has become, I'll be happy.

I'm sure all that empire/planets stuff won't be in the film. The movies' central emotional theme is that the mutants are part of the natural evolutionary process and how everyone deals with that. It's what I like about the films- the costumes and trappings are all secondary, mostly it feels kind of "possible." If they start throwing in other alien galactic empires, it would be as shark-jumping and jarring as when Highlander 2 introduced extra-terrestrail alien beings as the explanation for the existence of immortals to the non-comic fan.

...it would be as shark-jumping and jarring as when Highlander 2 introduced extra-terrestrail alien beings as the explanation for the existence of immortals to the non-comic fan.
That pissed me off to no end. I never saw another Highlander movie after that.

I'm sure all that empire/planets stuff won't be in the film. The movies' central emotional theme is that the mutants are part of the natural evolutionary process and how everyone deals with that. It's what I like about the films- the costumes and trappings are all secondary, mostly it feels kind of "possible." If they start throwing in other alien galactic empires, it would be as shark-jumping and jarring as when Highlander 2 introduced extra-terrestrail alien beings as the explanation for the existence of immortals to the non-comic fan.
I agree 100%. I was never an avid reader of the comics or the watched the cartoons, but I was very familiar with the series. I like that the movies "keep it real." If they start bringing in some of these more fantastic elements of the series, like other planets and stuff, it would really seem odd given the first 2 movies.

As do I, just lettin' ya' know the back story of The Phoenix.

But if you want to read a really good, somewhat newer X-Men Saga, read up on Onslaught .

Oh, BTW GKarsEye, thx for reminding us all about the craptacular sequel to Highlander, Highlander II. I only threw up seven times just thinking about it! :LOL: :p :D ;)

Back