• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deadwood season 2

Sinclair

Just a reminder to those Deadwood fans out there that the second season starts tonight.

Can I get a hell yeah? :cool:

Swearengen is the man. Believe it or not, however, I still think he and Bullock will wind up being allies when its all said and done.

Yeah, he's a badass. That fight scene between him and Bullock was awesome. This season's already off to a great start. It'll be interesting to see what happens to everyone.

I'm not exactly sure why Swearingen started shit with Bullock. Because he was nailing Garrett? So what?

Cy is a truly frightening and disturbing individual.

Loved the Bob Dylan tune during the end credits.

Looks like Bullock will stop seeing Garrett. Too bad, she seemed a like a great lay.

I'm not exactly sure why Swearingen started shit with Bullock. Because he was nailing Garrett? So what?
S
p
o
i
l
e
r

S
p
a
c
e

It could be because Swearengen sold what he thought was a worthless gold claim to Garret's husband. Now that he knows the claim is valuable he wants the claim back. Swearengen feels the gold that Bullock is protecting for Garret should belong to Swearengen.

It appeared to me Swearengen was pissed off when he saw the people Bullock hired to work Garret's claim, and protect the ore, load the gold onto the wagons.

Yeah, I guess he was pissed that he wasn't getting a cut. Or, if not him directly, than the town. Instead, Bullock was working completely in the financial interests of Garrett, who was making a huge amount of money.

Swearingen wanted Bullock to be sheriff because it adds respectability to the camp and he thought it would keep the government off his back. This is not happening, but that's not Bullock's fault, that's the nature of the comissioners, but since they're faceless politicians far away, he can at least vent at Bullock.

I was surprised when he was willing to kill Bullock. He never liked him per say, but at least respected him.

I was kind of confused as to why Al was starting shit too. I just rewatched it and I think Kraig's right. It always seems to come down to money.

Last night's episode wasn't as good as the season premiere, but it still had its moments. Al just standing there talking and talking while he's getting head was classic.

Here's a pretty cool article about the show you Deadwood fans might want to take a look at.

I have to admit, co*ksucker is quickly approaching motherfu*ker as my favorite curse word. Much like motherfu*ker, it can be used as a noun, an adjective, an adverb -- though I'm still unsure if it can be used as a verb.

As far as lastnight's episode goes, it was definitely anit-climatic, but it almost had to be -- it was either an ending like the one we got, or either Bullock, Swearengen or both had to die. It was also good to see more of Calamity Jane, who had me rolling over in laughter.

In my mind, Deadwood is one of the best Western series of all time ... running a close second to Gunsmoke.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ending of this episode. It's one of the reasons I like Al. He knows when to let things go and take the loss and he knows when to save face and I love the way he almost burns a bridge, but .....not.... quite.

If the show stays true to the basics of known history, and they have, Jane will be with us a while, as will Swearingen, Sol and Bullock.

At the end of the episode, when Bullock comes home and he and his wife go upstairs, she mentions the "bundling board." I looked this up (yes, TV is helping me learn!). It is a wooden board placed in the middle of the bed to prevent couples from having sex. In some European areas this was a tradition, placing courting couples in bed with either a bundling board or tying the girl's legs together. I suppose a way to get to know each other without succumbing to temptation before marriage.

So how does this apply to Bullock and his wife? We know Bullock married her because her husband, his brother, was killed and traditionally it's his duty to care for her via marriage. To him, this is a business-like arrangement, where he's a provider and she keeps the house and he is a father figure to her son. Placing the bundling board is a stark symbol of this arrangement.

By removing the board, his wife is declaring her desire for a husband in every sense of the word.

I didn't even think about looking up what a bundling board. I didn't know what it was. My guess was that it was a crib, as in he might be expected to provide another child.

Thanks for the history lesson. :cool:

Thanks for the info also. I went to look it up right after the show but somehow heard it as "bungling board" so my search was fruitless.

Man, I think same person who writes Sophie's character for Carnivale must be writing Trixie this season too. Never know whether they're comin' or goin.

Poor Trixie is certainly confused. She can't handle Sol's treating her like kind of a lady. She can understand guys like Al and so feels for him. Still I don't truly get her deep hatred for Bullock.

Garrett has now become a Grade A certifiable bitch.

Last night's episode saw the mention of George Hearst

One of Hearst's successful mining properties was in South Dakota, so I'm guessing that's the one related to Deadwood. In the series, his representative, via Cy and Farnum, is already starting to spread the false rumour that all the claims will be nulled, scaring the independant miners into selling their land to Hearst.

Deadwood also once again stepped into the realm of psychologically disturbing sexual situations, and once again with Jonie, who has become my Ultimate Fantasy Woman (TMI?)

And Al.... OUCH!!!! :eek:

Still I don't truly get her deep hatred for Bullock.

I've been trying to figure that out too. I don't really see any reason for her to.

Garrett has now become a Grade A certifiable bitch.

Seriously! What the fuck crawled up her ass? Is it just because of Bullock?

Last night's episode saw the mention of George Hearst

I recognized his name and wondered if he might possibly be the father of Willaim Randolph Hearst. Thanks to your link, that's confirmed.

...with Jonie, who has become my Ultimate Fantasy Woman (TMI?)

Yeah, she's a hottie. So's that new chick that was with Sy, Layla or something like that.

And Al.... OUCH!!!! :eek:

I cringe just thinking about that.

I don't really see any reason for her to.

Well I would expect her to not like him, it's jut the viciousness of it that surpises me, especially from a normally frighteningly practical girl like Trixie.

On one level, she dislikes him because she holds him responsible for Sol's injuries. She's disgusted with how Sol always supports him, but because Sol is so nice to her, she puts the blame on Bullock.

On a deeper level, I think she distrusts him for the same reason she insists on pushing Sol away (ie, her storming out when Sol didn't like her offering to pay for his help by "taking it out in c***"): she's used to men being like Al. She can handle them. To her, Al is the norm, not Bullock, with his honor and his pride and his moral and aristocratic bearing, at least not in place like Deadwood.

Seriously! What the fuck crawled up her ass? Is it just because of Bullock?

I guess she's not used to the hardships of the frontier emotionally. She was thrust into a marriage with a man she did not love, using an opiate addiction to escape. Then even that was taken away from her. So she comes to lean heavily on Bullock, and then even that's ripped away from her. The frustrating thing is that it's not really anybody's fault. She loves Bullock because he's honorable, and he's doing the honorable thing by severing their relationship (she didn't even try to convince him not to). It's not his wife's fault either, she's only trying to keep her new family together.

So she takes it out on the man that, to her, symbolises everything dirty and slimy and disgusting about her situation: E.B. Farnum.

(I loved how he was spreading the rumor to the old guy. The whole scene was choreographed and directed so great. And nobody beats Deadwood's ability to come with with dialogue that is both profane and lyrical. Also dig Farnum's messages to Al when he was sick. :LOL: )

Yeah, she's a hottie. So's that new chick that was with Sy, Layla or something like that.

"Now roll over, stupid, and close your eyes."

Back