• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Smallville (How many have fallen for their scam?)

Recoil

Regular
No offense to those who are fans of the show, but I am just curious as to what you really think about it. I've seen it enough times. I realize it is and was hyped up as a "current day telling of Superman as a teenager" a glimpse of which is seen in the original Superman movie.

Those of you who are fans of the show. Are you huge Superman fans?

I've got a friend who since the day this show was announced was all over it because he is a HUGE Superman fan. My brother, to a lesser extent is the same way. They both think its one of the top...3 shows on TV. Myself and his wife...kinda look at them like they are nuts. I mean, I get it. Ive seen it. Its OK. I even loved the Superman movies as a kid...but thats where it loses it for me. My friend for example, you just can't say anything bad about this show in front of him because "hey, its superman dammit"

Sorry, but my opinion is that WB, in one of their more brilliant marketing scams ever, ensnared him and countless others into this show. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to him and others...but this show is basically Dawson's Creek, except with Clark Kent/Superman.

Seriously. That's it.

It was a "meteor mutant of the week" show the first season, but even that has taken a back seat. It truly, TRULY is a Dawson's Creek/Beverly Hills 90210 show. Hell its even on WB...which has been called in other threads in this forum...as the "TEEN" channel. They even bust out the "you can buy this crappy up and coming artists CD that was featured tonight at _____ store" after each episode.

Just curious to what others think about this show. I'm not totally dissing it. Its OK. But people who watch it with die-hard loyalty because its Superman, I think is severly misguided, and frankly they are really diluding themselves and not seeing the show for what it really is. Dawson's Creek.

Thoughts?

I saw the pilot episode when it first aired and followed it for about four or five episodes, then just quit watching it. I've caught a sparse few episodes here and there, but I just can't get into it. I see what you're saying about how it's like 90210 (which, sadly, I watched the first few years) or Dawson's Creek (which, I'm proud to say I've never seen).

I've never really been into Superman. I too like the movies when I was little. I wonder if Jerry Seinfeld watches Smallville.

I'm giving the show to the end of the season to improve. If it doesn’t, I'm ditching it.

Nothing to do with what you said Recoil, but I just have to get that off my chest.

Re: Smallville (How many have fallen for their sca

I fell for the one episode where the three hottest babes on it were possessed by witches and got busy stripping Clark down, tying him up, and sucking the life out of him........but beyond that.......NO.

Although they are moving into a semi-intreging arc regarding caves and symbols.......who knows, the show might go legitimate soon......not that I would have anyway of knowing, as I really don't care to seek it out typically. I heard they did a tie in to a young Flash recently though......that might not have been a bad thing.

I wasn't a *huge* Superman fan, but at least a middling one. I've stopped watching Smallville because I think it's crap. Tom Welling is a lousy, if pretty actor. Ultimate.y Meteor-horror of the week did it in for me.

It's like watching Murder She Wrote. How many people can possibly be murdered in one small town?

I used to watch it relatively recently, I guess, but I don't watch it anymore. Tom's being nice to look at for me isn't enough to keep me watching, and there isn't enough there outside of his physical appearance to keep me interested.

It's tat, really.
A Dawsons Creek take on sci-fi. I like the effects, and Lex is ok, but rarely watch it. The plot has never moved beyond villan of the week, and its messed up a lot of DC continuity.

I watched the first season of Smallville and now only watch it occasionally if nothing else is on. There have been a few good episodes in the last few years that dont deal with the "mutant of the week" or "will Clark finally let Lana know how he feels". The thing that gets annoying for me is this love triangle thing they play into the show every week. It really gets old and as mentioned, follows along the lines of 90210 and Dawsons Creek. I think Clark Kent gets more girls than Dylan Mckay ever did.

Now as for the movies, I loved the first 2, the rest were crap. Even know I occasionally break out the original Superman DVD and when I hear that opening theme by John Williams, I get goose bumps. I honestly cant wait to see how Bryan Singer does with the new Superman movie. I like Clark Kent better as an adult, I dont really care much for him as a teenager.

The fact that it was on WB turned me off from ever watching it. I'm the kind of person that needs a good reason to get into a show, and the young Superman thing was kind of interesting (though I'm by no means a big Superman fan), but... WB, ew. So I guess I'm not surprised by this thread.

I do watch and while I definately has its flaws I think you're being a bit unfair. Last year expecially they had a nice little arc about Clark finding out why his father picked earth. They changed it so that he was sent to dominate earth not save it which of course has been dropped now. However there is alot of standard WB crap to wade through(Die Lana Die). When you're in the most danger is the filler episodes.

I'm normally more of a Batman fan.

It's starting to turn into crap.

I liked the season premiere but it's all downhill after that. Only reason i still watch it is Kristin Kreuk and Superman myth. But even Kreuk starts to get annoying thanks to supersilly plot.

I watched a couple episodes, but they totally lost me as a fan when they made Barry Allen (the Flash) some kinda teen punk who could run really fast. It totally doesn't fit continuity -- Barry didn't get his powers until a freak accident in a lab when he was an adult. They didn't even CALL him Barry... it was something like "Bart." Retarded.

Oh, and 1980's Lana is now playing Lana's Mama. Creepy.

...they had a nice little arc about Clark finding out why his father picked earth. They changed it so that he was sent to dominate earth not save it...

This was definitely the most ineresting story arc on Smallville and was ripped-off an early Superman 5 script. :rolleyes:

Recoil said everything.
I started watching the show since the beggining and by the first half of S3 when Clark finally gets real and try to push Lana way, I though everything will fall on the tracks, but in the next episode...there comes Lana again and despite the fact that she is a babe, I gave up.
It all resumes in Lana-Clark, Clark-Lana, Clark-saves-Lana, Lana-dumps-Clark and so on. I never watched Dawson's Creek, but for what I read about it, the only difference is that is set in the Superman universe.

See since I tape the show and watch it later I can avoid the WB stuff. Especially since they split the storylines it's easy to fastforward through any scene with Kreuk if she gets too annoying. She's the only one I would consider a traditional WB character, not to say all the others are likable or interesting.

totally lost me as a fan when they made Barry Allen (the Flash) some kinda teen punk who could run really fast. It totally doesn't fit continuity -- Barry didn't get his powers until a freak accident in a lab when he was an adult. They didn't even CALL him Barry... it was something like "Bart." Retarded.
Erm, just to call you on this one; Bart Allen, aka "Impulse" is actually a separate character, Barry Allen's grandson. :)Click here for details.

As to the show in general, I like it. There's still a little of the gurney-gurney teen soap guff, but hardly any compared to the first season. And the mythology stuff is interesting as well, a different take on a well established story.

I do kinda wish they'd hurry up and let Lex go hard-core evil though. :devil:

VB

Well I'll be. I'd heard of Kid Flash before, but never made that connection. They took a lot of liberty with his background story, obviously... but now that I see the connection it's pretty obvious there are some hardcore comic fans behind the scenes on that show. I still don't go for the "teen soap" aspect, probably because I'm a good deal past that these days, so that's still the main reason I don't watch it. :)

Back