• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Galactica Season 4 (Spoilers Within)

From the writing and Moore's interviews, the guiding force behind the show's plots are "wouldn't it be cool if." As in "wouldn't it be cool if" if we took that one-season 1978 space show and remixed and make a new show out of it. "Wouldn't it be cool if" we flash-forward a year after they settle on a planet. "Wouldn't it be cool if" we showed what happened from the Pegasus' point of view. "Wouldn't it be cool if" 4/5 of the human cast were really Cylons and now that turns everything upside. "Wouldn't it be cool if" we sort of remember what these people were like before their whole world got annihilated.

This has been the show's strength and its weakness.

I think GKE is onto something.

"Would it be cool if..."

If...

SciFi

Which was Sci-Fi Channel's big marketing campaign. Remember the cool ads with neat little science fiction looking things, then they showed the IF which beame SCIFI?

So if the thought process behind BSG is driven by IF, and IF was the marketing campaign for Sci Fi Channel, then this means that BSG is everything the Sci Fi Channel is supposed to be, and now that its ending, they are remarketing the channel and calling it SyFy.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE. EVERYTHING. THATS THE YING AND THE YANG BOYS AND GIRLS! THATS FROM A TO B!

Nicely done GKE.

(more closure than we will get Friday night) ;)

It all just depends on the episode of the week. One week, yes, let's welcome the cylons in and have them help us. The next week: Cylons are boogedy boogedy evil. The third week, cylons, eh, they're kind of ok. The fourth week, cylons help us, we're dying! The fifth week, cyclons are horrible, they killed us, except for last week when they kept us from dying. It all depends on what each episode's plot calls for.

Exactly. It looks like the personality of each character changes every week depending on the episode.

The best example of that is Chief Tyrol - one week he hates the cylons and wants to stay on Galactica, the next week he makes a 180 degree turn and starts making plans to leave with the Final Five.

...they are remarketing the channel and calling it SyFy.

I thought that was some kind of joke that I just wasn't getting, but OMFG. They actually are changing the name of the channel from "The Sci-Fi Channel" to "SyFy". I just read one article that said part of why they've decided to go with "SyFy" is because, according to the president of the channel, that "is how you’d text it". From an article I just read, the channel worked with a brand consulting agency and they considered 300 different name possibilities. "SyFy" is the best they could come up with? :wtf:

Up there amongst the suckiest rebranding ever. Like changing the UK Post Office to Consignia. And Marathon Bars to Snickers.

Snickers don't count - they were called Snickers first, and then rebranded for the British market to disassociate themselves from the American brand they were representing. A strategy they ditched after a while. Twix were "Raiders" for us for some time, under the same policy.

"SyFy" is WAY more retarded than that kind of policy change. :eek:

I have a feeling this show is going to end with a time-travel/orobourus twist. My guess is Adama et al with go through the black hole and get zapped back thousands of years to become the original inhabitants of Kobol.

I have a feeling this show is going to end with a time-travel/orobourus twist. My guess is Adama et al with go through the black hole and get zapped back thousands of years to become the original inhabitants of Kobol.

And where do we fit into that timeline exactly?

The big problem have with the orobouros theory is that there is absolutely no point origin for the human race. It's a flashy idea but it's incredibly messy. I hope they don't do it.

I can't remember, what was the age determined of the Kara-corpse? If they time travel, I'm thinking it'll be to the point back at which Kara crashed and died on Earth. That'll do nothing to explain how Kara survived the explosion in the storm, how she originally got to Earth and back, and why her ship when she got back was brand new, not to mention her prophetic hallucinatory artwork, but it would explain the dead body she and Leoben found when they got to Earth. So, I won't be surprised if Starbuck dies in the finale.

And where do we fit into that timeline exactly?

The big problem have with the orobouros theory is that there is absolutely no point origin for the human race. It's a flashy idea but it's incredibly messy. I hope they don't do it.

Why is that so important to you?

Why is that so important to you?

Which bit?

How we fit into things is important to me because they've made so many references to Earth and it's culture. Heck if it were just the name Earth, I could view it as a coincidental name and just let it go as a separate thing. However there are numerous ties to our own existing history and I don't think that is so easily dismissed.

As to ouroboros being a problem, the science is well shoddy. In B5, the closed circle works because although Sinclair travels back and becomes Valen... he has a fixed point of origin within the B5 timeline. Where would humanities fixed point of origin be if BSG ended this way? The numbers just don't add up.

The finale is scheduled to start earlier and end later than usual.

For Americans on the East Coast, that's 9pm - 11:11pm.

Alluveal, I hope this doesn't blow up your VCR.

The extra 11 minutes are, I presume, for the post-series lecture Ron Moore will give us explaining everything with a Power Point presentation.

The finale is scheduled to start earlier and end later than usual.

For Americans on the East Coast, that's 9pm - 11:11pm.

Alluveal, I hope this doesn't blow up your VCR.

The extra 11 minutes are, I presume, for the post-series lecture Ron Moore will give us explaining everything with a Power Point presentation.

Man, I just got home and it's 8:21. So, I'll have to watch the 10:12pm airing, or record it. I don't know. Commercials piss me off so much. I may just record it and watch it tomorrow morning, or I may suffer through yet another "sell your gold here" mini-infomercial. Bleh. I'll record it anyway, so the hubby can watch it (he's working.) But, chances are, I'll likely watch it real-time here in another 1.5 hours. Bleh on that.

I'll be avoiding you guys like the plague until after I'm done as to not spoil anything for myself.

I give it thumbs-up. I thought they did a decent job. A few things are a bit fuzzy. I want to watch Dollhouse right now though, so Ill collect thoughts and post them here later.

Going into this finale without the expectation of a "satisfying" wrap-up in terms of plot was the smartest TV decision I ever made, because I really enjoyed it.

Galactica's final battle was awesome. That colony ship looked like a giant B5 Shadow ship. The whole sequence of Sam shutting down the hybrids, Galactica crashing in, the centurions marching in with Lee Adama, Athena killing Boomer, etc... all wonderful. Loved it.

I'm sure I'm not the only who cheered when Chief killed Tory. "We've all made mistakes." Heh.

The resolution of the opera house and piano dots mysteries was profoundly lame, IMO. Plot-wise that is- visually the rescue of Hera, cut back with the opera house dream, was wonderful, but when it was over, I got hit with the same reaction as Baltar and Caprica 6 when they realized that's all the dream was about.

I suppose this would be as good a time as any to eat my hat- yes, the earth they found was not our earth. Those of you who called it were right, and I disagreed. Instead, Starbuck knew the coordinates in piano music disguised as secret numerical system form. Or something. Then she disappears. Ok.

Which brings us to ghost Six and Baltar. Good lord... wtf.

Ok, here's the thing- Baltar has been talking about angels this whole season. Ghost Six, Baltar and Starbuck since her death are... angels. That's, um, it.

Pardon me for getting a bit pretentious here but I'm gonna quote wikipedia's intro paragraph on its entry for Deus Ex Machina:

A deus ex machina (IPA: [ˈdeɪʌs ɛks ˈmakʰɪna], literally "god from the machine") is a plot device in which a surprising or unexpected event occurs in a story's plot, often to resolve flaws or tie up loose ends in the narrative.[1] Neoclassical literary criticism, from Corneille and John Dennis on, took it as a given that one mark of a bad play was the sudden invocation of extraordinary circumstance. Thus, the term "deus ex machina" has come to mean any inferior plot device that expeditiously solves the conflict of a narrative.

You tell 'em Cornelle and John Dennis! I know that if any of my stoner college English major friends pulled this kind of shit in creative writing class they'd fail. Do you hear me Ron Moore et al- YOU FAILED FRESHMAN COLLEGE ENGLISH!

See folks, it really was God all along ("don't call it that"- because IS IT GOD? Dun- DUN). And apparently two of his angels decided to hang around Earth forever so they could read over Ron Moore's shoulder. Ok.

Adama had to leave everybody else to live alone for the rest of his life. WHY? I mean I get why Galen did it and hates people.

Galahad, you got your human origin point. We started on our own, but space people (who are biologically exactly like our native ancestors) came in and gave us civilization. But of course since Hera is "mitochondrial Eve," we're all 1 / one-quazillionth Cylon.

Which reminds me, black people- all proud of your TV hero figures of recent years, like President Palmer from 24? Well you can just forget all that, because BSG just told us that while Africa is indeed the birthplace of humanity, our black African ancestors couldn't have done it without technologically advanced white colonizers with a violent history. Hah-hah!

Last edited:
Back