• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Brannon Braga Rocks

Talking about the overabundance of superpowerful beings on trek .. the prophets. Am I the only one that totally doesn't buy the bit where they don't get what "linear time" is? They're communicating with Sisko in linear time after all, god-damnit!

And yeah, Q was only cool because John de Lancie is cool, and because he brought the best out of TNG crew. There wasn't much good to get out of the Voyager crew ..

.. and I found making Q human cool enough the first time around, when they treated it as a disgusting punishment. It was utterly pointless on Voyager though (and already on TNG in True Q)

Last edited:
That's quite cool a list, yes.

And it is odd how it took new trek what, 10 years till they finally got uniforms that didn't look like pyjamas with the First Contact/late DS9 uniforms?

As for seatbelts, with all their tractorbeam and forcefield technolgies, I wonder why they don't use it on a smaller scale for the ships? Probably because people flying around just looks too cool. :D

As for seatbelts, with all their tractorbeam and forcefield technolgies, I wonder why they don't use it on a smaller scale for the ships? Probably because people flying around just looks too cool. :D

Unfortunately I think the real answer is much simpler.

It gives the show its level of action and excitement, having people fly around in a battle. If everyone sat in place held in by forcefields (which by that century is believable) it would make for a real dull show. Also, I dont think audiences would relate. I think they would watch it and go "god the acting and directing in this show SUCKS. Everyone just sits there in the middle of a big battle." The few fans that would get the science of it would be way outnumbered by those who would watch it and think the show is cheesy and poorly done.

No, I watched the Voyager episode where 7 of Cleavage goes on a date with Neelix or Harry Kim, or they all cluster-f*ck or something. I honestly blanked it out.

DS9 had poor moments, but my god did Voyager stink

DS9 drove me to Voyager, and Voyager drove me away from Trek. IMHO, they both stunk.

I like Jeri Ryan on "Shark."

Re. Brannon Braga, I liked "Threshold."

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think the real answer is much simpler.

It gives the show its level of action and excitement, having people fly around in a battle. If everyone sat in place held in by forcefields (which by that century is believable) it would make for a real dull show. Also, I dont think audiences would relate. I think they would watch it and go "god the acting and directing in this show SUCKS. Everyone just sits there in the middle of a big battle." The few fans that would get the science of it would be way outnumbered by those who would watch it and think the show is cheesy and poorly done.

Well yes, but even if you forget the science part, exploding consoles is just poor action.

I like that scene in one of the early Trek movies where they show a whole bunch of people involved in firing a torpedo. It gave it a nice classic submarine movie feel.

Yea that was in ST II. I remember reading that Nicholas Meyer, the Director, wanted to make Star Trek more like old sailing ships battling it out (the conflict between Kirk and Khan). The torpedo room was one old Navy feel that he added. The Navy sounds when Kirk entered the Enterprise (the whistle) and others were also added to give it that old feel.

He did similar things in ST VI as well as I recall. Yea I agree, he did a lot for that movie that made it feel as great as it did.

Yea that was in ST II. I remember reading that Nicholas Meyer, the Director, wanted to make Star Trek more like old sailing ships battling it out (the conflict between Kirk and Khan). The torpedo room was one old Navy feel that he added. The Navy sounds when Kirk entered the Enterprise (the whistle) and others were also added to give it that old feel.

He did similar things in ST VI as well as I recall. Yea I agree, he did a lot for that movie that made it feel as great as it did.

Ah, yes, of course, Khan, the good Trek movie.

That battle is the only really great Trek space battle. And the whole navy thing makes sense- IIRC, it even had a bit more of that feel in the very first few eps of Trek.

I watched the Animated Series at some point last year. It was kind of fun .. sort of like ultra-speed Trek. Kind of cool, though, at times.

Due to being ill in the way that I'm utterly useless for anything but lounging around, I've gone through pretty much Deep Space Nine recently .. the first season, to be exact. Yes, this show was pretty crap at times.

It does seem like the thirds-equation applies. It has its share of episodes that are excellent (Duet, In the Hands of the Prophets, ..) .. a good portion of the episodes is just completely mediocre, and a good portion is completely WTF? Move Along Home, The Nagus, If Wishes were Horses, The Forsaken .. I very much doubt to see myself watching those again anytime soon.

Ah well .. IIRC, the standards improve soon enough, though there'll always be a hand-full of crappy episodes in each season.

I would never compare it with Voyager though, as it has been done here though. Deep Space Nine had good characters and a good setup, occasionally doing cruddy episodes. Voyager had boring characters with no setup, occasionally doing tolerable episodes.

IIRC, I think seasons 2-5 or so are the show's peak. Dukhat was still awesome, Warf isn't around (I think he comes in season 4), and lots of stuff with Bejorans and Cardassians, which was the heart of the series before the Dominion war hit full swing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back