• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Question about the Earth Civil War

admiraldave

Regular
I've been back into my DVDs, and was wondering, what happened to Orion VII, the other colony, along with Proxima III and Babylon 5 to suceed from the Earth Alliance? Did it manage to remain independent, or was it reconquered?

Smaller colonies like such as Orion VII, Proxima III, and others that removed themselves from Earth Alliance almost definitely rejoined following the aftermath of the civil war.
Several factors likely lead to this reason: the death of William Morgan Clarke, the posting of a new president, and Earth's admission into ISA.
Also, keep in mind that the only world that received a nod for any sort of permanent independance was Mars, when Number 1 visited the station ("Objects in Motion"). Furthermore, colonies the size of Proxima III and Orion VII would not have neither the economic nor military ties to stay independant for very long.
When you say "reconquered" it gives the idea of these colonies rejoining with Earth a sense of battle and bloodshed, but I doubt this is the case. Proxima and Orion returned back to Earth without a shot; the whole deal was done with ink on a page.

Exciting as it would be for these tiny places to go rebel, it would just not be practical.

For one of the four major powers in the B5 universe, Earth seems to have surprisingly few outposts.. Given they're also lower tech than almost anyone else, as evidenced by their being just about the only race to need rotating ships, and must have lost many of their colonies in the Minbari war, you've got to wonder just what their influence is based on.. :confused:

Mining Quantium 40? Good will and leverage with the League, following their intervention in the Dilgar war? Their ability to form communities? Kudos for 'beating' the Minbari? I just find it a bit mysterious that there's never an explanation given..

Smaller colonies like such as Orion VII, Proxima III, and others that removed themselves from Earth Alliance almost definitely rejoined following the aftermath of the civil war.

Oh, I assumed so. No, I was talking about while Babylon 5 was off fighting the Shadows. Proxima III was invaded and close to collapse until "No Surrender, No Retreat", but there was never any mention of what happened to Orion VII. Was it recaptured, only to be liberated during the campaign, or did it maintain it's independence?

For one of the four major powers in the B5 universe, Earth seems to have surprisingly few outposts.. Given they're also lower tech than almost anyone else, as evidenced by their being just about the only race to need rotating ships, and must have lost many of their colonies in the Minbari war, you've got to wonder just what their influence is based on..

Mining Quantium 40? Good will and leverage with the League, following their intervention in the Dilgar war? Their ability to form communities? Kudos for 'beating' the Minbari? I just find it a bit mysterious that there's never an explanation given..

Mostly because of the Dilgar war, I think.

If there was one problem I had with B5, it was scale. In "And Now for A Word", we learned that Earth Alliance had colonies in only 14 star systems, yet it is considered a major power, across most of the galaxy. How big were the other powers?

If there was one problem I had with B5, it was scale. In "And Now for A Word", we learned that Earth Alliance had colonies in only 14 star systems, yet it is considered a major power, across most of the galaxy. How big were the other powers?

The Minbari had 3 planets.

As to technology, we're not the only ones without artificial gravity. The Drazi and the Narn don't have it -- they just strap themselves down, like Humans do aboard the Hyperion and the shuttles. Our rotating sections are apparently a step forward, compared to them.

My question would be ... how many systems did they have before the Minbari war? I was under the impression they lost allot of ground in that.

Also, it isn't the largest place which has the power, but more public ones ... just think of the world today, and which locations are considered world powers.

I guess Earth does a lot of trading and exploring. The big empires were built on a combination of trade and military might. You don't necessarily need many colonies to be a player.

The Dilgar war. Yep. Earth intervened on behalf of the non-alligned worlds when the other large governments shirked away or helped them (EDIT: The Dilgar. Sold weapons to the Dilgar, or helped the Dilgar.). I guess Earthforce is mighty popular among the league, although they don't always agree with them.

We're multiply faster than some of the other races. And we want more, more, more instead of hunkering down on our homeworld.

And we build commuinties out of different people, alien races, beliefs etc. This relates to trade.

Political power is based on three possible combination:

1) Military Might
2) Economic/Social Might
3) A combination of 1 and 2

Generally speaking military might doesn't last long. Economic/Social might is actually a stronger influence. Read the "Foundation" saga by Issac Asimov to get an illustration.

In B5, in "In the beginning", the character of Lefcort (later to be General), discusses expanding earth's "sphere of influence". With momentum gained from the defeat of the Dilgar, earth used it's economic and political prowess to gain further influence over the league of Non-Aligned worlds. During the series the League constantly aquieses to the whims of the major powers. only near the end do the Drazi and a few others start to expand their influence.

In terms of tech, if I remember correctly, from least to most, it goes like this...

Narn-->Earth----->Centauri----------->Minbari---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Vorlon

Much as the united states used new technology and economics derived from it to gain influence over the world (think about it, computers and transportation tech have done more than any military action ever has), Earth probably did the some similar in B5

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back