• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

About that Halloween contest...

PMvanova

Beyond the rim
This is going to have some spoilers I suspect, so beware.

For those that have watched all of B5, we all know there was a Halloween episode. Written by Neil Gaiman, called Day of the Dead. I beleive it took place approximately the same Earth month as Halloween, but am not sure the first airing date. I suspect it may well have aired in October.
And what about River of Souls? Granted that had to do with more technology than parapsychology, but it dealt with 'ghosts' of a sort. Souls that could not leave the material plane because they were trapped.
Just because Halloween wasn't mentioned specifically, doesn't mean it didn't get any treatment.
Despite this argument, I will have an offering for the contest, hopefully not too late. I have to take a trip out of town the weekend before Halloween, but will attempt to get a story in that's under 500 words. That's so restricting! I
t'll be something to do to keep my mind off the fact I'll be flying several thousand feet above the earth. (going to go see my new grandson! woohoo!)
(I may like scifi but like my terra firma under my feet.)
LOL!

Not under 500 words but between 500 and 750 words. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And while I see what you mean about parallels between the Brakiri Day of the Dead and Halloween, it's not really exactly the same thing. Same for River of Souls.

Besides, having ghosts around is a lot older and a lot more universal 'tradition' than Halloween, which is primarily the tradition in some English-speaking countries, could ever be.

I don't think Sheridan carved out a pumpkin and went Trick or Treating though. So it's fair to say there was no Hallowe'en really.

Even if there was, it doesn't negate the fact that it's Hallowe'en shortly, and that's what the contest is for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm just surprised that it was written by Neil Gaiman. I didn't know that he dabbled in screenplay. I'm only familiar with his DC Vertigo works! In retrospect it does have a gaiman ring to the storyline! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No storms on the station. Make that a "It was a dark night..." - see, that's only five words. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suggest that we abbreviate "Night". Henceforth, the word "Night" shall be referred to with the integer value "1".

Abbreviating it won't bring the wordcount down though - numbers should count as words, AFAIK.

Fine, fine, let's use integrated data compression. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How about I just hyphenate everything? Would that cut my word count in half? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think I've got a semi-amusing little story going but I've easily blown past 750 words and I'm only 3/4 finished, which means I'm gonna have to edit the sucker mercilessly to make it fit.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
suggest that we abbreviate "Night". Henceforth, the word "Night" shall be referred to with the integer value "1".

[/quote]

I know where this is leading: Lennier will give you a 500 "word" story, but with 500 pages of supporting definitions to go with it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There will be no documentation.
Just my signature. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Well, it is hard to fit it in the limit, but you just need to get the import things out there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Does anyone know if Antony is planning to post all of the entries? Just the winner? Maybe just the top 3 or so?

Just curious. It sounds like an interesting contest. I have no idea, thus I am not entering.

Back