• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5: Season By Season

I hate to start a discussion without being absolutely sure what I'm talking about, but time has very likely conflated my memories.

I used to have a series of books. I think it was "Babylon 5, Season by Season." I picked up the first two at a con back during the 4th season, I think, and I was really excited by them. Then I ordered the remaining ones from Amazon, and was considerably less impressed. Eventually, I got rid of 'em.

Assuming I'm talking about the right books, what impressed me about the first two books was that they were honest. While they clearly completely adored B5, they still made a point of calling a turd a turd, and pointing out when things weren't quite up to scratch, as well as drawing attention to things that were better than the show's average.

Starting with Book 3, IIRC, however, all the actual critical content was gone, and it was just wild-eyed adoring puff-piece journalism like you'd find in a book about Trek. I'd assumed the studio got POed about the lack of fanaticism in the first two volumes, and gave the series to someone else, but in looking 'em up on Amazon just now, I see they're all credited to the same person.

So does anyone have any info abou tthis series? Is it the one I'm thinking of, based on my scant description? Does anyone know why it lost its guts halfway through its run?

Slow day. Just curious.

It sounds like you might be talking about the season books by Jane Killick? I don't recall the change you refer to, but it's been ages since I read them. I remember liking them a lot.

Jan

It sounds like you might be talking about the season books by Jane Killick? I don't recall the change you refer to, but it's been ages since I read them. I remember liking them a lot.

Jan

I think I am - I know I had those books - but I might be conflating it with something else I had 'round the same time. Anyone else remember a serious change in style in the books? Or am I just misremembering things?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back