• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Torchwood: Children of Earth (Spoilers)

Re: Torchwood: Children of Earth (Spoliers)

And Britain has plenty of previous sins and most don't include aliens.

Wait, most? lol

But yes, agree, and I think that is why I enjoyed it so much. That capturing of the flaws of government, including the poor path of Frobisher, and even Jack. The arcing of the characters original sin, than having to repeat it with the weight of the 'greater good'.

Especially when Frobisher was told he had to sacrifice his children, only thing I could think was the sins catch up. And the acting, was superb. You could see it in his eyes, that running horse he just couldn't jump off anymore ... Londo comparison anyone?

Disturbing, but very powerful.

Wait, most? lol

But yes, agree, and I think that is why I enjoyed it so much. That capturing of the flaws of government, including the poor path of Frobisher, and even Jack. The arcing of the characters original sin, than having to repeat it with the weight of the 'greater good'.

Especially when Frobisher was told he had to sacrifice his children, only thing I could think was the sins catch up. And the acting, was superb. You could see it in his eyes, that running horse he just couldn't jump off anymore ... Londo comparison anyone?

Disturbing, but very powerful.

I did wonder why he killed himself immediately after his family. He could have done that and then gone out before the press and then told the nation exactly what the Government was doing then finished himself off. He could have provided the people with one last act.

But I guess the point is that when everything's gone to pot, most people don't think rationally, don't see past the pain... and just look for the quickest way to end it by any means.

At the end of the day his reactions were at least honest and human and that's what you expect from good drama.

As opposed to dishonest, and inhuman, as life is, all too often.

I think that's splitting hairs just a little. I didn't mean honest in terms of what the characters do... bu honest in the sense of being believable and genuinely authentic... Not contrived. And the term human for me is inclusive of our flaws... Even those we consider inhuman. We call things inhuman to comfort ourselves with the foolish notion that some acts are beyond many of us... but often it's just a case of "there but for the grace of God, go I."

The politicans were great, I would like to see and RTD written political drama. Spotting who they were supposed to be in current / previous cabinets was also fun. Frobisher was an amazing performance...

I did wonder why he killed himself immediately after his family. He could have done that and then gone out before the press and then told the nation exactly what the Government was doing then finished himself off. He could have provided the people with one last act.

"He was a good man - put his head down and worked" (paraphrasing)

I think that is why he did what he did. He didn't want to hurt the government he worked for, so he couldn't speak out. But he didn't want to see his family suffer, so he took the only route he saw.

Was that the best route, well, no. Never is, but you saw his character's progression, and truly, that was well written because it was still to his character.

That silent middle man, whom are the true sacrifices to any leadership.

Was impressed by this more than I thought possible.

Have to agree about the politicians,nearly as slimey as real life ;)

Is this the end of Torchwood though?Just about everybody is dead and Jack has left so I can't see how it can continue.

Was impressed by this more than I thought possible.

Have to agree about the politicians,nearly as slimey as real life ;)

Is this the end of Torchwood though?Just about everybody is dead and Jack has left so I can't see how it can continue.

With Torchwood over I can see a new series on the horizon... Jack Harkness in SPACE!!!

RTD has claimed that a fourth season is ready to go, if the third season's performance satisfies the BBC. No word from the BBC, yet, AFAIK, but the ratings were quite good.

For a post 9pm sci-fi programme mid week on the beeb, ratings of 5-6 million were excellent.

Rumors are abound on a few Who forums that RTD moving to the States may mean a US developed Torchwood. If it were to cross over with the UK one, or act as a successor series made with US cash, it could be a winner. Imagine another BBC / HBO co-production. A Life on Mars style reboot would suck though.

British t.v. shows crossing over to the USA have had a dismal success rate. One of my favorite comedies ever, Coupling, sounded like the worst show ever made from the radio ads I heard (of the American version, of course). I know Torchwood is no comedy, but in general shows just don't cross over well.

And perhaps it's just the cynic in me, but I don't know if the typical USA audience would take a show like this and appreciate it. Britian has had some success with sci-fi dramas (not in the Trek universe) that we just don't seem to match, if my memory serves. Blake's 7, Dr. Who spring to mind. We've had some drama series that have touched on science fiction, but regular visits by aliens? I don't know.

I look forward to being corrected on this point. :) But apart from The Outer Limits (the original) I can't really think of any alien-frequented sci-fi dramas that have made a real impression here. Out of the Trek universe, again.

British humor is definitely different than American humor. British humor is more inteligent and is not mainly "d*ck and fart jokes". But it's not just the jokes themselves that work, it's the way they are told. That is why the American versions of Coupling and Red Dwarf failed so miserably. The dialogue was exactly the same, but the delivery was off. Maybe it's the accent :)

I haven't watched any British dramas (non scifi) but I'd wager they wouldn't work well over here for the same reasons of differing style and delivery. Also Torchwood would never had made it out of it's first season with the amount of flaws it had. They just don't survive here. The BBC isn't all about ratings and money but putting out quality shows. So it can give shows like Torchwood a chance to get better. When a show as good as Firefly gets cancelled in the US you know there is a problem

I saw the US version of Red Dwarf and couldn't believe how bad it was.I put it down to the acting.

Benny Hill was more popular in America in the end I believe :confused:

The UK has a long tradition in SF which is seen mainly as a family show.

Quatermass was billed as drama when it first was aired so maybe it is just how you sell it :)

Has anyone here ever seen "Little Britian"?

The opinion of an English friend of mine is that the main difference between British and American humor is the Brit's love of "taking the piss out of everything".

It's not always quite as high-and-mighty as some might want to believe.

There was an American attempt at Red Dwarf? I don't remember that at all, 'course, the Original Red Dwarf never did a whole lot for me anyways. I tried watching the first couple of seasons, but, it never struck a note with me.

Can't wait, Torchwood starts tonight, so I'll record it and watch it in the morning :D

Maybe more intelligent was a stupid way of putting it ;-)

I love Top Gear and with that show there is definitely some high brow humor that is well thought out as well as some low brow stuff but (ok this is going to come out wrong) a well placed "oh cock!" by James May can have me rolling on the floor. Maybe it is just the accent.

We have good and bad low-brow and hi-brow humour. A good quality fart or dick gag is still as amusing to me as the sharpest bit of satire.

First episode was pretty strong, and mysterious. I enjoyed it.

They got me on the Dr, I totally fell for it

Sunday July 19, John Barrowman was in a high speed crash. His car plunged down an embankment, and rolled four times.

Addendum: I just found some more info. Seems he was very lucky, and just bruised and scraped a bit. I think the $120,000 Subaru was totaled though...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back