• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

WB Possibly thinking Big Screen B5 movie.

I wouldn't want a big name for the film. The next Trek movie has no "big names." Quintos has some notoriety as Sylar. The guy playing Bones was in LOTR and other flicks. But, B5 isn't as much of a household "name" as Star Trek. Even people who aren't Trekkies or nerds would go because they think Kirk is badass and Spock is cool and it's kind of an amusing jaunt to the movies for them.

B5 doesn't have that. B5 has the coolest, most intelligent and best fans (strokes everyones' ego nice and slow!) But, I would also want the film to be successful. If that meant a star of some magnitude, I would let go of my zealous mentality in order to see the franchise succeed on some level beyond what we already know and love. But, I do agree that it has to be classy, well-written, well-done and exist with a great amount of artistic integrity. I don't want a "Lost in Space" spoof like we've seen or such. Nor do I want it turned into a Jerry Suckheimer extravaganza.

I don't see any problem with having stars. There will be plenty of new characters, good guys and bad guys. Any "stars" can be in those roles. It is recasting that I believe most of us oppose.

Like everyone else, I would also like to see the original cast in this movie, but if it's not possible, I don't mind watching other actors portraying our favourite characters.

"After all, it's the thought that counts" ( Mr. Welles ;)) and the thought here is definitely great.

Nevertheless, it would be really hard to watch a B5 movie with the following cast:

1.Sheridan - Leonardo Di Caprio

2.Delenn - Reese Witherspoon

3.Garibaldi - Adam Sandler

4.Ivanova - Cameron Diaz

5.Marcus - Orlando Blum

6.Franklin - Martin Lawrence

7.Lennier - Ben Stiller

8.Vir - Jack Black ("Shаllоw Hal")

9.Londo - Joe Pesci

10.G'Kar - David Hasselhoff

11.Lyta - Jennifer Love Hewitt

;) ;) ;)

Let's hope for a better casting.

Last edited:
I must say I wouldn't be that bothered if there was a completely new cast for a new movie.It is the B5 universe that first got me hooked on the series and as long as that isn't messed about with then I think a decent film could be made.As for having a big name or two in the cast it would all depend on who was involved.I wouldn't say no to a big name just for the sake of it.

I also think I'm one of the few who prefered the first story in Lost Tales to the second which was good only for a quick CGI scene.I just felt that the first story had more substance.

I must say I wouldn't be that bothered if there was a completely new cast for a new movie.

But not with the new to B5 actors portraying Sheridan, Delenn, Londo, Ivanova, Sinclair, Lennier, Vir, etc.

It is the B5 universe that first got me hooked on the series and as long as that isn't messed about with then I think a decent film could be made. As for having a big name or two in the cast it would all depend on who was involved.I wouldn't say no to a big name just for the sake of it.

A-List stars would probably think that a B5 Feature would be beneath them. Will Smith might not, because he seems to gravitate toward sci-fi, but I bet most other A-List stars would look down on it. My problem with a big star in a B5 feature film is that the star would tend to overshadow the real substance of the feature. In such a one shot deal, like a feature film, you don't have time for the actor to really morph into the role, and be seen as the character, not the actor. Also, if you have a big name actor or two, it becomes those actors movie, and it would be seen less as a B5 movie. The only benefit would be that it would probably bring the fans of those actors to see a B5 movie, something they might otherwise avoid.

I also think I'm one of the few who prefered the first story in Lost Tales to the second which was good only for a quick CGI scene.I just felt that the first story had more substance.

The first story tended to ignore likely alternate explanations, teeps, technomages, etc. The first story felt so superficial, to me, like we only have time to connect the dots along this one path, and we're not going to mention any other likely explanations that are known to anybody who has watched all of B5 thus far. It was as the writer had forgotten B5 history, or was writing this solely for people who had never seen B5 before.

I wish they'd made the Garibaldi story instead of the first story.

I never personally had a problem with filling in the corners of the first TLT story. Given what's revealed in the series itself of advanced aliens posing as angels, I just always assumed the "demon" in the story was a disembodied advanced alien consciousness without needing it full-on stated as such by the characters. The whole exorcism removing the "demon" from the human was never shown, just threatened or whatever, so I figure the "demon' was just using the framework the presence of the priest provided it to screw around with the minds of what it saw as just puny lesser beings, for shits and giggles, to borrow Austin Powers's phrasing.

I would have liked the Garibaldi story too. jms seems to enjoy the ancient left-behind alien city motif, but I better like the presence of an actual ancient alien motif myself more than just their stuff having been left behind, and the Garibaldi story gave us both. [sigh] If only the project had had a decent budget!

Oh to have the "telepath war" actually told. The memo or whatever it was in the most recent scriptbook really didn't provide much detail beyond what we already know: both Lyta and Lennier die during the war and that the war is between groups of telepaths, not between telepaths and humans. We already knew that from other tidbit drops jms has made in comments online and such over the years. The only info that it provided that I hadn't heard before was that the PsiCorps has mole telepaths secretly serving in EarthForce, but given how much the PsiCorps has covertly inserted itself into EarthGov, it's not surprising.

[sigh] If only to see such a film!

My problem with a big star in a B5 feature film is that the star would tend to overshadow the real substance of the feature. In such a one shot deal, like a feature film, you don't have time for the actor to really morph into the role, and be seen as the character, not the actor. Also, if you have a big name actor or two, it becomes those actors movie, and it would be seen less as a B5 movie.
While those things definitely *can* happen, I think that stating that they categorically *will* happen in every case is an overgeneralization.

Not all A-list actors are just themselves (or a single cultivated screen persona) on screen. Look at people such as Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep, and Alec Guiness: A-list stars who routinely submerge into the persona of the the character that they are currently playing.

As for a movie becoming a star vehicle and not about the source material any more: it depends upon how the star(s) is (are) used. Star Wars did not become an Alec Guiness vehicle when played Obiwan, and Superman (the first Reeve movie) did not become a Marlon Brando movie when he played Jor-El. However, having those names associated with them gave both productions increeased credibiity with market segments that would have otherwise dismissed them out of hand.

With the exception of Jack Black as Vir, your list made me want to puke. I'm sure that was your intention, so congratulations! :eek: :LOL:

Like everyone else, I would also like to see the original cast in this movie, but if it's not possible, I don't mind watching other actors portraying our favourite characters.

"After all, it's the thought that counts" ( Mr. Welles ;)) and the thought here is definitely great.

Nevertheless, it would be really hard to watch a B5 movie with the following cast:

1.Sheridan - Leonardo Di Caprio

2.Delenn - Reese Witherspoon

3.Garibaldi - Adam Sandler

4.Ivanova - Cameron Diaz

5.Marcus - Orlando Blum

6.Franklin - Martin Lawrence

7.Lennier - Ben Stiller

8.Vir - Jack Black ("Shаllоw Hal")

9.Londo - Joe Pesci

10.G'Kar - David Hasselhoff

11.Lyta - Jennifer Love Hewitt

;) ;) ;)

Let's hope for a better casting.

While those things definitely *can* happen, I think that stating that they categorically *will* happen in every case is an overgeneralization.

"tend to" <> "categorically will"

Not all A-list actors are just themselves (or a single cultivated screen persona) on screen.

Or a few, well known and immediately recognizable screen personae on screen.

Look at people such as Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep, and Alec Guiness: A-list stars who routinely submerge into the persona of the the character that they are currently playing.

If only Alec Guiness was still alive. <sigh>

As for a movie becoming a star vehicle and not about the source material any more: it depends upon how the star(s) is (are) used. Star Wars did not become an Alec Guiness vehicle when played Obiwan, and Superman (the first Reeve movie) did not become a Marlon Brando movie when he played Jor-El. However, having those names associated with them gave both productions increeased credibiity with market segments that would have otherwise dismissed them out of hand.

True, and I wish that, the best of all possibilities, would happen for a B5 feature.

With the exception of Jack Black as Vir, your list made me want to puke. I'm sure that was your intention, so congratulations! :eek: :LOL:

Thanks! ;)

I just tried to imagine the worst possible cast for a B5 movie.

Speaking of that, it would also be interesting to imagine the best possible cast (except for the original one of course ) in my opinion:

1.Sheridan - Andy Garcia

2.Delenn - Cate Blanchett

3.Garibaldi - Kiefer Sutherland

4.Ivanova - Michelle Forbes (Admiral Cain from BSG)

5.Marcus - Johny Depp

6.Franklin - Denzel Washington

7.Londo - Danny DeVito

8.G'Kar - Ian McKellen

Given that we are on a message board for a "genre" TV show ........

Is it really necessary to have that parenthetic identification for Michelle Forbes?

Between Cain on BSG, Rho Laren on ST:TNG, a season of 24 as a Presidential aid, a year or two as the primary coroner on Homicide: Life on the Streets, shape shifting in the recent Trueblood, etc .......

I would have figured her to be quite well known among this particular audience.

I don't like 1., 2., or 3., any better than your first list. :p

Thanks! ;)

I just tried to imagine the worst possible cast for a B5 movie.

Speaking of that, it would also be interesting to imagine the best possible cast (except for the original one of course ) in my opinion:

1.Sheridan - Andy Garcia

2.Delenn - Cate Blanchett

3.Garibaldi - Kiefer Sutherland

5.Marcus - Johny Depp

6.Franklin - Denzel Washington

7.Londo - Danny DeVito

8.G'Kar - Ian McKellen

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back