• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon-5 Shuttles & the Battlestar:Galactica?

If humans were to make the ship a "reflection" of themselves then in the future I would suspect you would have the whole "pimp my ship" aspect of interstellar travel.
Maybe not all the ships but there would definitely be a group out there with part of the engine sticking out, neon lights, and whatever the replacement for NOS would be!

And hopefully, they'd get blown up first. It'd be a public service. Ships with bad taste paint jobs, excessive chrome, and body panels vibrating from the stereos. Blech! At least in space, you can't hear the buzz of the vibrating body panels. :p

:LOL:
yes because in space nobody can hear your bad taste scream :p

I must admit though, within the B5 universe my favourite designs were the Omega class and the Narn cruisers (been watching it again as my box sets have finally started arriving)
Although the Minbari and centauri heavy battle cruisers were also spectacular.

If humans were to make the ship a "reflection" of themselves then in the future I would suspect you would have the whole "pimp my ship" aspect of interstellar travel.
Maybe not all the ships but there would definitely be a group out there with part of the engine sticking out, neon lights, and whatever the replacement for NOS would be!

Would the Millenium Falcon not fall into that catergory.Or at least a contender to be pimped.

Now I'm wondering if G'kar was tempted to make any personal modifications to his new ship after setting out to explore the galaxy with Lyta.. Did he paint spots on the hull and deck out the interior with red light, curtains and candles? Did he and Lyta argue over decor, whose turn it was to cook, where to hang the fluffy dice, and who left the toilet seat up? Was G'kar in charge of navigation or did they stop and ask directions? Or did they get satnav?

For that matter were the crew of the Liandra ever tempted to pimp their ship after they were saddled with it? Did they rip out the old engines, call in a priest and invest in a more pragmatic targeting system? Sadly I guess we'll (probably) never know..

Last edited:
Well there is a precedent with regards to White Star modification... sheridan firstly did it himself, to make Clarke's forces know who was coming after them... and then of course there was Captain Montoya's christening of his White Star "Maria".

Would the Millenium Falcon not fall into that catergory.Or at least a contender to be pimped.

Ah yes but it was a smuggler's ship so it had a valid foundation. There is a difference between modifying and pimping.
I suppose it could be argued that certain "pimping" are modifications to enhance speed or sound but pimping is generally "overkill". That is merely my opinion ;)

Now I'm wondering if G'kar was tempted to make any personal modifications to his new ship after setting out to explore the galaxy with Lyta.. Did he paint spots on the hull and deck out the interior with red light, curtains and candles? Did he and Lyta argue over decor, whose turn it was to cook, where to hang the fluffy dice, and who left the toilet seat up? Was G'kar in charge of navigation or did they stop and ask directions? Or did they get satnav?

For that matter were the crew of the Liandra ever tempted to pimp their ship after they were saddled with it? Did they rip out the old engines, call in a priest and invest in a more pragmatic targeting system? Sadly I guess we'll (probably) never know..
If any ship was in need of Pimping, it was that awful flying brick the Valen. It needed some racing stripes and fins, at the very least ;)

After all, it had a lot of special modifications made, but it still looked like a piece of junk.

It was constantly breaking down and looked like shit :D

Definately in need of pimping

Did it not have fluffy dice in the original though :confused:

I'd like a pimped Warlock with go faster stripes.

Well, she might not have looked like much, but she had it where it counts. Do you have a ship that can make .5 past lightspeed?

It also made the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs which is not bad considering a parsec is a measurement of distance ;)

It also made the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs which is not bad considering a parsec is a measurement of distance ;)

I did see that explained somewhere (in one of the novels perhaps?).. It means he was able to compute a clever series of light-speed hops that got him round all the navigational hazards at Kessel but covered less than 12 parsecs distance..

But doubtless in reality Lucas simply made a slip :)

I read something about it myself.Something about how you navigae through hyperspace I believe.There was supposed to be a few Black Holes round Kessel too interfering.

I'd really love my own pimped up Death Star though I would hope they could fix that dodgy exhaust port :D

I did see that explained somewhere (in one of the novels perhaps?).. It means he was able to compute a clever series of light-speed hops that got him round all the navigational hazards at Kessel but covered less than 12 parsecs distance..

But doubtless in reality Lucas simply made a slip :)

It was in the Director's commentary. I don't think it was a slip.

Total retcon. The radio version says "twelve standard time-parts" instead of "parsecs," but since the movie version is the one everyone pays attention to, they had to explain it somehow.

The audiences expectation of a statement like that would be that he was talking about a measure of time ... it is totally unrealistic (particularly in a movie aimed primarily at younger people) to expect the viewer to realise that Solo is talking about a measure of distance, and why that might be significant, without any additional explanation being offered.

So ... either it was a mistake and is being retconned in the commentary or Lucas was trying to be clever or it was bad scripting by introducing a throwaway line that won't actually be understood by the target audience.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back