• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anna Sheridan

Joe, are you sure that was Tamlyn Tomita's character. I remember in one of the commentaries it was Pat Tallman, (as the assasin?) in Dr. Kyle's Medbay. The powers that be thought it was over the top inher opriginal performance, and told JMS to water it down, then they complained the performance wasn't strong enough.

Future TNT-Atlanta execs? :LOL: (No, just kidding. I know that stuff they did w.r.t Crusade was intentionally rotten.)

Alright, what are you guys referring to? ANH=??? (not ringing any bells for me) :eek:

ANH= A New Hope

This is the title of episode four which has always been on the rolling scrawl after the main Star Wars title.

The movie was just known as Star Wars because it was the first and nothing was ever mentioned about the sub heading at the time. At least I don't remember anything.

I wasn't alive at the time but according to Lucas the sub-heading was not there in the original release because execs thought it would be confusing.

That sounds like Execs.

Possibly the same ones who changed 'The Madness of George III' to 'The Madness of King George' because Americans would wonder what happened to the first two films. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Star Wars was just Star Wars in 1977 and the execs were right. It would have been stupid to have "Episode IV: A New Hope" at the top of the on-screen crawl at a time when no one had any plans to do any sequels, much less prequels. Sometimes the guys in the suits are right and the "artistes" need to be taken down a peg or two. The "New Hope" stuff wouldn't appear until the film was rereleased prior to the arrival of The Empire Strikes Back - by which time it was clear that there would be two sequels and when Lucas was talking about eventually doing a 9-part trilogy of trilogies with production to start on the "first" three films immediately after the last film in the original trilogy was in the can, after which three more films set after Jedi would commence shooting.

There may or may not have been some reshoots on invididual scenes involving Lyta during production on The Gathering, I've never heard anything about that. But it was definitely Tamlyn Tomita who was forced to re-record every single line of her dialogue after shooting wrapped on the film. See the Guide page on The Lurker's Guide or do a search on JMS News for further details. JMS specifically mentions their good fortune in unexpectedly findingn all of Tomita's original voice tracks and their using them to restore her performance.

Regards,

Joe

I remember in one of the commentaries it was Pat Tallman, (as the assasin?) in Dr. Kyle's Medbay.
Are you thinking about:
a. Where Lyta's scene with the drug smuggler was removed from the first edition but was returned for the Executive Producer's edition?
b. And where most of Lyta and Sinclair's walk through the aliens section was removed from the second edition of The Gathering?

*sigh*

not again.

Not sure how to take that.

JoeD: Yeah, Star Wars was just Star Wars in 1977 and the execs were right. It would have been stupid to have "Episode IV: A New Hope" at the top of the on-screen crawl at a time when no one had any plans to do any sequels, much less prequels. Sometimes the guys in the suits are right and the "artistes" need to be taken down a peg or two.

Agreed. IMHO, they should have left it at:

<ul type="square">[*] Star Wars
[*] Empire Strikes Back
[*] Return of the Jedi
[/list]
... on DVD as originally presented in the theaters.

Wow talk about off topic! :)

Anyway, once Lucas decided to do the prequels - it was left with the episode numbers, probably in anticipation of a box set of all six movies

As far as I can remember, It always said 'Episode four, A New Hope' at the top of the rolling scrawl, but then I didn't see it in the cinema, only when it came out on TV.

But that was a *long* time before any discussion of the prequals.

Prequels have been under discussion and consideration since the Empire Strikes Back was released. So, if you saw it on TV, the prequels were already being discussed (even though the Prequels didn't come out for quite some years after that)

OK. I Accept that the original cinema release didn't have 'Episode four' on it. I just looked this up on IMDB.

When the original theatrical version was first released, it was simply titled Star Wars.The opening crawl was changed to "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" during the 1981 re-release. According to Sterling Hedgpeth, Lucasfilm film archivist: "I found a box with all the positive elements for the 'revised' opening crawl, and the assorted trim boxes are dated from October through December 1980. This, then, is consistent with the view that Episode IV: A New Hope was added for the first time to the opening crawl for the April 10, 1981 re-release."

Lucas was changing things even back then.

Back