• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Summoning Light Reprint?

I noticed recently that Summoning Light had reappeared on eBay cheaply and in stock Amazon.co.uk. As this was the only B5 novel I was missing I ordered it straight away. It arrived today, and I have to say I'm slightly puzzled. It's a bigger size to all the other novels! This won't do my OCD any good at all... ;)

B5Techno.jpg

What annoys me is that even the book is larger, the contents are exactly the same size and have an increased border on each page.

B5TechnoInside.jpg

Is this a genuine reprint or were larger paperback versions printed years ago? I can't work out why Amazon would have it again after all this time. The book looks brand new (no yellowing etc...). The small print inside doesn't indicate that it's a recent print.

*confused*

:wtf:

I noticed recently that Summoning Light had reappeared on eBay cheaply and in stock Amazon.co.uk. As this was the only B5 novel I was missing I ordered it straight away. It arrived today, and I have to say I'm slightly puzzled. It's a bigger size to all the other novels! This won't do my OCD any good at all... ;)

B5Techno.jpg

What annoys me is that even the book is larger, the contents are exactly the same size and have an increased border on each page.

B5TechnoInside.jpg

Is this a genuine reprint or were larger paperback versions printed years ago? I can't work out why Amazon would have it again after all this time. The book looks brand new (no yellowing etc...). The small print inside doesn't indicate that it's a recent print.

*confused*

:wtf:

I'd say it's a reprint. Look in the front. Does it list a "Second Printing" and date (usually month and year)? <fingers crossed> Maybe some publisher woke up and smelled the coffee!

I'd say it's a reprint. Look in the front. Does it list a "Second Printing" and date (usually month and year)? <fingers crossed> Maybe some publisher woke up and smelled the coffee!

It's definitely a reprint, as inside the back cover it says:

Breinigsville, PA USA
21 June 2010

Other than that there is no indication this is a new print, the initial small print is identical to the original book, it even says "first edition Ballantine Books Edition 2001". I didn't think that was allowed to be kept the same. What I find the funniest is that is still says Invoking Darkness coming soon! lol

Oh well... I'll just have to live with it.

Other than that there is no indication this is a new print, the initial small print is identical to the original book, it even says "first edition Ballantine Books Edition 2001". I didn't think that was allowed to be kept the same.

If no changes have been made, surely it is still the same edition. Just a re-print of the exact same content ... and given that the ad for the "forthcoming" Invoking Darkness is still there that sounds like exactly what it is.

Other than that there is no indication this is a new print, the initial small print is identical to the original book, it even says "first edition Ballantine Books Edition 2001". I didn't think that was allowed to be kept the same.

If no changes have been made, surely it is still the same edition. Just a re-print of the exact same content ... and given that the ad for the "forthcoming" Invoking Darkness is still there that sounds like exactly what it is.

...but don't books usually list all of the printings:

First Printing - Month and Year
Second Printing - Month and Year
Third Printing - Month and Year
etc., etc.

If this is the first reprint, it should have:
First Printing - Month and Year
Second Printing - Month and Year

unless it's a different publisher (i.e. not Del Rey).

Us B5 fans get spoiled with all this great stuff. Book 2 of 3 gets reprinted in a bigger size but not a bigger font.
*sigh*

Currently the Del Rey publishing site lists Summoning Light and Invoking Darkness as available (but now no Casting Shadows!). Printing number is different from edition number and isn't always listed out; you should look near the cover for the number sequence "1 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2". The last number shown tells you the printing number even if it's still technically "first edition".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back