B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old September 29th 14, 12:10   #91
vorlonlovechild
Commander

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

it's not a show. It's a film. He's rebooting it as a movie. (hopefully)

So keep everything crossed that it finally happens......
Old September 29th 14, 16:25   #92
falstaffe
Lurker

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Yes, I know it's just a movie. The *hope* is that it turns into something more.

However, I guess we have to acknowledge the possibility that the movie is just a one-off, to leverage WB to treat the B5 episodes they're sitting on with more respect (wouldn't a deluxe edition be nice?)

But, if that's the case, I'm not sure why Joe would want to do a reboot--there are still stories set within the original cannon left to tell that would NOT require the audience to have a working knowledge of B5. For example? The original shadow war with B4 and Sinclair--simply have him suffer from amnesia due to the time jump and you've got a classic "stranger in a strange land" yarn. Other ideas that jump to mind: the telepath war OR the Dilgar war.

But, as I said, my *hope* is that the movie happens and that it leads to new B5 material-comics, books, webisodes or a new non-network-tv series.
falstaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th 14, 16:34   #93
Jan
Psi Cop

My personal feeling is that we might want to concentrate on what we can do to make the film a success. To my mind, that's growing the fan base and reminding old fans how great the show is.

I think we should be aware of how Serenity simply didn't do well in theaters despite a fervent fan base. B5 is going to have to do better if there's ever a hope for more after this film.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th 14, 19:02   #94
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
My personal feeling is that we might want to concentrate on what we can do to make the film a success. To my mind, that's growing the fan base and reminding old fans how great the show is.

I think we should be aware of how Serenity simply didn't do well in theaters despite a fervent fan base. B5 is going to have to do better if there's ever a hope for more after this film.

Jan
I've not seen Firefly or Serenity, but was Serenity pitched to the fans or to a broad audience? I think that will be the key to success: having popular appeal across a broad audience regardless of whether they've heard of B5 or not. As much as I loathe it, that's why the 2009 Star Trek reboot was so successful. Of course, I'd like a B5 movie to be a little more intelligent than that film.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th 14, 19:41   #95
falstaffe
Lurker

Agreed. Much like the JJ Abrams reboot of Trek (like it or not), it needs to stand completely on its own. The good news is that JMS has pretty much said those words in response to the question of "Why a reboot and not a continuation?"

He's a smart cookie, and I think he'll find a way to bring fans--old and new--together. Personally, I think the way to thread that needle is to take some of the focus off the station and see more what's going on around the galaxy "on the scene" rather than just hearing reports. Just a guess. Maybe I'm reading too much of the Sens8 setup into it.
falstaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st 14, 02:02   #96
hypatia
First One

Could this open up possible syndication availability of the original B5 series?

I would love to see it have another airing on television. It might help stir the fan base, as well.
Old October 1st 14, 14:55   #97
vorlonlovechild
Commander

More B5 is great. Feature Film, Series, anything really. I'm all for it. It's just i'm a little nervous (in a way) after previous attempts to bring it back. I hope it happens I really do. Film first, then who knows? Video Game? MMO? TV Series? World Domination for JMS?
Old October 1st 14, 17:18   #98
RW7427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Could this open up possible syndication availability of the original B5 series?

I would love to see it have another airing on television. It might help stir the fan base, as well.
We need a like button here.
Old October 2nd 14, 11:53   #99
torkste
Ranger

I would like a movie set 1000 years ago during the last Shadow war with B4 and a recast Sinclair. Call it Babylon 4 and you could cast a woman to be "modern". Eye candy and ballbuster in one package, everybody loves that. If they say that the new movie are for all the new people out there with no connection to B5, you could call it whatever you want, so why not Babylon 4.

Second choice would be the Dilgar war. That movie wouldn't interfere with the tv series we all love, and still be expandaing the B5 universe. Lots of new ships and villains with cat eyes. Would be lots of fun. Name it the Babylon Wars.
torkste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd 14, 12:53   #100
Jan
Psi Cop

Seriously?!? "Eye candy and ballbuster" is the only use you can see for females and that's only for the sake of being 'modern'? How utterly tasteless and backward of you.

However, to address the rest of your post, how likely do you think it would be for either of those scenarios to end up being a smash hit with almost no human characters, especially in the B4 idea?

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote