B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 2nd 13, 22:35   #11
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Re: Claudia Christian B5 Novel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
JMS and Kathryn were separated at the time, from what I understand (not that it's any of our business, really). He posted that they were divorced in 2009 but he'd mentioned being single at conventions for at least a year or so before that. He's always kept his private life pretty private. The nice thing is that they're still good friends.
I knew someone who knew someone who knew them who said that they'd maintained separate households for quite some time prior to actually 'separating', but I never mentioned it because (A) it's none of my business and (B) it makes things look more salacious than they probably were. I mean, I had a college professor who just COULD NOT live with other people. Him and his wife loved each other, but they ended up getting divorced, realized they were still in love, re-married, and lived in houses with adjoining back yards because he was just a bit of a whacko and couldn't live with other people. So that was ODD, but not, y'know, unsavory or anything. When they actually divorced, I was quite surprised. (JMS and KD, not the prof and his wife. They're still happily married neighbors) Tim Burton lives in the house next to his wife and family for similar reasons. Go figure. Some people are just wired differently, I guess.

Quote:
As for Doyle, after JMS' promise panel in May, I made a point of sending him via his website a link to the vi.deo in case he wanted to ensure the information was publicized and heard nothing back (and yes, he does monitor that email himself).
THat's disappointing.
Jan[/QUOTE]

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd 13, 22:41   #12
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics anymore. I just remember being really bothered with the things she said. I used to eat up any interview with the cast members.

I love Garibaldi but really dislike Jerry Doyle. He ruined the commentaries he was on and he just seems to crave being the center of attention way too much.

I'm not sure why any of them had to publicly badmouth other actors from the show.
Well, the rumors that she's unhinged aren't exactly new. Read the comments on her tell-all book. There's one from a radio DJ that made me question if anything about her is on the level.

As for Doyle: Dude's a classic "Look at me, Ma!" personality: he was an ace stock broker, an ace jet salesman, the most popular co-star of a huge series pretty much from his first audition ever, he ran for office, and he's a talk-show pundit type. In his mind, it *IS* all about him.

Talking trash about the others: that seems disquieting to me, too. I mean, he never said anything bad about Tallman, though they evidently had a pretty acrimonious divorce. OTOH, he talked a lot of trash about O'Hare. I can sort of cut slack for that, as he lists a lot of stuff O'Hare did that made it look like he had drug problems and he was treating the crew badly, and also Doyle isn't *REALLY* an actor, so he doesn't know the whole 'don't take a dump where you eat' thing from their POV. Christian, however....hm.

You'll note the old pros never said anything bad about him.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
Old October 2nd 13, 22:53   #13
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
It's really kind of sleezy to ask out an actress from your show while it's still on the air. So if it was an awkward date,
Yeahhhhhh....it's majorly uncomfortable and uncool and frankly Roddenberry-like. ("Q: How do women get speaking parts on TOS? A: Lay on the couch and pretend you like it.") Especially with him being married at the time (Separate households or not).

Quote:
I can sort of understand Claudia being unhappy with the lack of episodes centering around her. But the show was a very different beast in seasons 3 and 4 that really didn't cater to specific characters. And frankly her character wasn't important or interesting enough to get stand alones.
Well, firstly, she's by definition a second-bananna character. It's not like Vir or Na'Toth ever got a ton of episodes revolving around them. It's unreasonable to assume "Everyone gets a couple episodes every year!" She had a good part, and she was considerably better used and written than, say, Riker on TNG, or Commander Ford on Seaquest, or Bekka Valentine on Andromeda, which are apples-to-apples comparisons.

Secondly: She had shitloads of screentime! She had the big bohonkin' battle with the shadow omegas, and one of the best badass solliliques of all time. She had the arc with Talia. She had her half of TKO, she had the final narration in SiL,

Quote:
Season 5 would have given her the opportunity for episodes focused on her and I'm not sure how she knew that that wouldn't of happened.
It *COULD* have given her that. We really don't know. She claims that she wasn't involved in the Byron arc, and that the season wouldn't have touched on her latent telepathy. I don't know how she'd know that for sure, but it's not impossible that JMS might have given her a brief overview of her role in the season. We'll never know. I don't think she can be taken at her word, and I don't think JMS will ever tell.

While I think S5 would have been better with her in it, the fact is I'm increasingly of the opinion that it would have been fairly lame just the same. There's a lot of wheel-spinning going on for the first 14 episodes or so, even in storylines that have no apparent connection to anything she might have done. It's not unreasonable to assume that the same basic stuff Lochley did was the same basic stuff Ivonova would have been doing had she been there. Which is to say: not much.

Kevin Long
Old October 3rd 13, 01:53   #14
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Talking trash about the others: that seems disquieting to me, too. I mean, he never said anything bad about Tallman, though they evidently had a pretty acrimonious divorce.
You're thinking of Andrea Thompson, not Pat Tallman. Jerry was never married to Pat.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; October 3rd 13 at 03:34.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 13, 17:26   #15
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Talking trash about the others: that seems disquieting to me, too. I mean, he never said anything bad about Tallman, though they evidently had a pretty acrimonious divorce.
You're thinking of Andrea Thompson, not Pat Tallman. Jerry was never married to Pat.

Jan
Aghhhh. You're right and I'm an idiot. I transposed their names. Sorry.

Kevin Long
Old October 13th 13, 04:40   #16
RW7427

I hate when I transpose names. It happens to the best of us.