• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: SPOILERS

I haven't yet seen a "definitive answer" to that anywhere, but quite a bit of guesswork... my own guess is that perhaps Gryffindor had put some sort of enchantment/spell on it to make sure that whenever a "true Gryffindor" needed it, he could get it from the Hat (which was Gryffindor's as well), no matter where the sword was physically situated at the time.

So I am assuming there was some sort of a connection between the Hat and the sword, put there by Gryffindor.

In any case, I suspect there was one mightily pissed-off goblin there when the sword went missing...

Perhaps we'll get an answer to it eventually.

Yup, that's what JKR responded. griphook was wrong it was truly Godric's sword, the sword, like a wand had sworn allegiance to Gryffindor, so any "true Gryffindor" could grab it when it was really needed.

Her answer from the Today show

How did Neville get the Sword of Gryffindor?
In “Deathly Hallows,” Griphook the goblin claims that Godric Gryffindor stole his sword from the goblins and Griphook, in turn, steals the sword from Harry, Ron and Hermione in Gringotts. So how does Neville pull the sword from the Sorting Hat during the Battle of Hogwarts?

“Now we can reveal that Griphook was wrong,” Rowling said. The sword was truly Gryffindor’s and he didn’t steal it … Its first allegiance always was to a worthy Gryffindor, and it was going to come back when someone really, really needed it. And it came back to Neville.”

Last edited:
“Now we can reveal that Griphook was wrong,” Rowling said. The sword was truly Gryffindor’s and he didn’t steal it … Its first allegiance always was to a worthy Gryffindor, and it was going to come back when someone really, really needed it. And it came back to Neville.”

<sarcastic> And she couldn't find two lines in the six hundred odd pages to tell us that? </sarcastic>

<sarcastic> And she couldn't find two lines in the six hundred odd pages to tell us that? </sarcastic>

I assumed it on my own before reading her reply, and wondered why it needed to be clarified (although several people are confused by it, so I guess it apprently did need to be). I mean seriously, did you assume when Harry pulled it out that Dumbledore had physically placed it in their?

I assumed it on my own before reading her reply, and wondered why it needed to be clarified (although several people are confused by it, so I guess it apprently did need to be). I mean seriously, did you assume when Harry pulled it out that Dumbledore had physically placed it in their?

You did notice I was being sarcastic?;)

Anyway, the sword being pulled out of the hat was in book 2, which I read a very long time ago. I am not a HP geek like I am a B5 and Arthur Ransome geek, so I don't remember everything in minute detail. I wasn't going to go back and look in the other book when something could have been mentioned in this book. A sentence during the feast afterwards would have been an ideal place. I would have had Harry musing that he was glad Neville was a true Gryffindor, or something like that.

You did notice I was being sarcastic?;)

Anyway, the sword being pulled out of the hat was in book 2, which I read a very long time ago. I am not a HP geek like I am a B5 and Arthur Ransome geek, so I don't remember everything in minute detail. I wasn't going to go back and look in the other book when something could have been mentioned in this book. A sentence during the feast afterwards would have been an ideal place. I would have had Harry musing that he was glad Neville was a true Gryffindor, or something like that.

HEHE, yea, I noticed you were being sarcastic.

See, it's your own fault, you should be remembering every single detail, you should be reading each book several times a year :p ;) (Actually, though, I would figure with the movie, that would indeed be something that would stick out :D ) (I'm an HP geek who's read most of the books at least 3 times, and seen the movies repeatedly)

If this is the case, which it might well be, why don't we get a two sentence explanation? Harry pulled the sword from the hat back in book two, which is a long time ago.

She did write an explanation in Deathly Hallows, early in the book in the chapter about Dumbledore's will.

The big HP fans reread the entire series before reading the last book. Try that, and you'll answer many of your own questions.

What you're doing is like trying to watch B5 in pieces, separated by years. As you begin to forget the background, the story's richness and fullness will get lost.

Personally, I let the fanatics fill me in on such details, and I nod and think "yea, I vaguely remember that in the book..." :D

The hard-core fans really know the details of the characters and the story inside and out.

I think three fandoms is enough for me.

I have a pretty good working knowledge of G&S, Swallows and Amazons, and B5. those are the things I know inside out. I'll leave Harry to others thank you very much.

Fanfics make it worse: they aren't well thought out, based on fandom, not knowledge of where the author was actually going with these characters, etc. etc. No, I don't think you should reread it all. Just understand: she explained a lot more than you realize, you just didn't make the connection, it's o.k.

Babylon 5 had the same problem. Keep up on the story, carefully, or you will get lost. I understand the movie "Pirates III" is much the same. More reason to rewatch my DVDs of the first two, just in time to watch the third when it comes out on DVD (next Christmas, maybe, or so?).

Or I ask the real fanatical fans who have memorized more of the small details. :)

Gilbert and Sullivan.

Two guys who wrote operettas just over a hundred years ago. I've performed most of them (Just missing Patience, Princess Ida and The Grand Duke). Marcus sings the first verse of 'A Modern Major General' at the end of Atonement.

A friend of mine combs ebay and yard sales for cheap DVDs. He picked up a copy of the G&S play "The Mikado".

Starring..... starring.... Eric Idle.

:)

This ought to be quite interesting. :D

You didn't have to be immersed in HP fandom to figure it out. With how long the books already are taking even more time out to say, "for those of you who don't remember the climax of book two or weren't paying attention while reading earlier let me spell out what's happening for you" would turn reading them into some kind of infinite loop. The books used to have awkward recaps of the previous books in the first chapter or so but eventually the flow of the story became more important than the few people who jump into a series in the middle without bothering to find out what happened before.

If you want an easy answer to how Neville got the sword out of the hat: Magic.

It also seemed self explanatory from the easy atmosphere in the epilogue and the lack of a rallying point in Voldemort that the Death Eaters weren't the same threat anymore. While who ended up doing what job and how the remaining DE's/Umbridges were dealt with than how many kids everyone had the story Rowling was telling was the coming of age of Harry Potter. Given that goal the epilogue made sense. Of course I say that as someone who thought it was possible that all the Horcruxes but Harry would be destroyed, Voldemort killed and returned to Vapormort, and Harry finally falling on his sword so to speak. Obviously all of us let our desires and theories cloud what's actually there in the books but now it seems that it should have been obvious what was going to happen in a general sense.

Who died and how also seems obvious if you look at how they affect/relate to Harry.

Just like how I can't judge the movies until the second viewing allows me to get past the changes from the book a second reading will probably make it easier to enjoy what's there instead of how it's different from what we had in our heads.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back