• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Best SciFi Theme Tune"

Well for me Dr.Who is number one in any of its forms.Probably because I have heard it all my life.

I agree that the original BSG theme was pretty good.

I also thought that Blakes 7 had a great theme :thumbsup:

At least Enterprise wasn't in the list :guffaw:

the theme for enterprise fitted with the content of the show, but you are right it wasn't very good.

On it's own, I liked the song actually... although they wrecked it by tinkering with it in the later seasons. Some mental fans actually prefer Rod Stewart's version... which would have been much much worse.

I think they should have used the first half of the First Contact theme for Enterprise... it gives a real feel for nobility and exploration and it bridges the eras between Cochrane and Archer nicely.

Last edited:
The original theme was also briefly used in the miniseries during the decommissioning ceremony flyby.

And during a TV News station interview with Baltar... it was their jingle.

It also appears in the episode Final Cut, as a homage to the pilots who sacrifice themselves for the good of the fleet.

I actually think the Voyager theme could be good, if it wasn't mentally connected to seven years of fighting gag reflexes.

It's so sad; the basic premise of Voyager was so good. A lone ship in a foreign part of the galaxy, a lifetime of travel away from home, having to form alliances whole-cloth, no Starfleet to call for backup or ship repair. It has drama written all over it, but it just flopped so hard when it came to turning the idea into actual stories. [sigh]

They created this concept of a "split" crew, with all the Marquis people having actually been the enemies of Starfleet, yadda yadda yadda .. and something like three episodes in, everyone was huggy-luvvy-goody-cheery. :rolleyes:

It started to suck there, and went only down from there. Remember "Year of Hell"? The alternate-reality timeline double episode, in which everything sucks, where everything is reverted in the end? When watching that, I kept thinking that the whole damned show should have been like this.

Yup, the almost instantaneousness of the Maquis being folded into the Starfleet crew was a huge loss. There was plenty of drama ripe for the picking there, but they just hacked down the entire tree.

Twi-lite Zone: #1. period.:devil: #2: Original Star Trek.:thumbsup:

Play 1 note of TWZ, and you recogonize it. Two notes for OST.:devil:

I'd like to submit The Flash series theme by Danny Elfman, Outer Limits, and Green Hornet (The Flight of the Bumblebees:cool::thumbsup:) as alternate "Bests'.;)

The list is far from surprising, considering it originates from a Doctor Who fansite. Of course the British shows are gonna place high.

Considering the numerous definitions of "best" when used in a list like this, I tend to think the word means "most recognized and beloved." Recognized by people within and outside of sci-fi fandom. In that case, the list would be fairly accurate -- I'd personally disagree with #2, #6, and #8.

Using that definition, my top three would be Twilight Zone, Star Trek and Doctor Who -- the oldest and most iconic sci-fi series out there. I'd remove Thunderbirds entirely and replace it with Stargate SG-1, and I'd replace Battlestar Galactica (assuming it's the original BSG theme) with either the TNG theme or Knight Rider.

As beloved as our B5 themes are to us, they aren't recognizable to the average schlub.

Dr Who, Old school BSG, Knight Rider and the A-team are there for me. The A-Team is not sci-fi, but it is still really really TV music.

All of these are tied into my childhood, which probably says a lot.

Television sci fi (including mini series):
1.) V 'The Final Battle' & the original 'V' mini series
2.) Dr Who
3.) 'Clasic' Star Trek
4.) The Greatest American Hero
5.) Battlestar Gallatica (the original series)

Movies: Wow there is just soooooooo many....
1.) Superman [Christopher Reeves version]
2.) Battle Beyond The Stars [Alright so the movie was only fair but the music smokes]
3.) Star Wars 'The Empire Strikes Back' [Especially The Imperial March]
4.) The Last Star Fighter [Will someone please make a sequel to this classic already.]
5.) Star Trek II 'The Wraith Of Khan'
6.) Star Trek 'The Motion Picture' [The whole dang cd rocks. Especially the Klingon battle cruiser theme.]

Non-Sci-Fi Telivision:
1.) Hawaii Five-O
2.) Mission Impossible
3.) Swat
4.) Lavern & Shirley
5.) Magnum P.I.
6.) Hogan's Heroes

Non Sci-Fi Movies:
1.) The Great Escape
2.) Bridge Over The River Kwai

4.) The Last Starfighter [Will someone please make a sequel to this classic already.]

It's already supposed to be in the pipeline... for 2010.

B5 related trivia - the starfury was Ron Thornton's deliberate homage to the Last Starfighter's gunstar.

Seeing the latter on screen kind of makes you feel it could easily be an EAS heavy fighter/bomber in the B5 universe.

gunstar11.jpg

And here's the ships most iconic defining moment - death blossom.

Last edited:
It's already supposed to be in the pipeline... for 2010.

B5 related trivia - the starfury was Ron Thornton's deliberate homage to the Last Starfighter's gunstar.

Seeing the latter on screen kind of makes you feel it could easily be an EAS heavy fighter/bomber in the B5 universe.

gunstar11.jpg

And here's the ships most iconic defining moment - death blossom.

No way!!! :vulcan: Is it truly a sequel?
I love the movie to pieces.
I think it would be sweet if they redid the effects to modern standards and had the original version also on the same disc. Thus honoring the classic and it's initial achievement of introducing the world to CG MOVIE GRAPHICS. With like a disc that has the making of the original and it's impact on todays movies. But also a new modern CGI (look) version of The Last Starfighter. That would be sweet. :drool: :thumbsup:

I'm not sure it's a candidate for the "best ten" list, but I do like the theme of "Galaxy Quest"! It is certainly a bit of musical parody, yet memorable on its own. I like the way it's used on two levels - as the theme of the "original" TV series and as the theme of the movie.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back