• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Saw this today, and for my review, I'll break it into things that I liked about it, and things I didn't like about it. I think my opinion is probably similar to JJ's more hard core Trekkie friend.

First, an observation about the Time Travel concept in this movie, and its being a reboot. I think that the entire Time Travel aspect of this movie could have just been left out. For me, it didn't work at all, and lets be clear about one thing: This movie was a Reboot/Retelling even if they removed the Time Travel aspects. This crew never met fresh out of the academy and all at the same time. Hell Checkov being in Starfleet before Uhura, Kirk and McCoy? Not a chance. Spock and Uhura never got it on. There are other inconsistencies from Cannon/Roddenberry Trek. So aside from the obvious BIG changes that the time travel aspect made, this movie was a reboot/retelling anyway. I don't understand why they felt they needed to add the time travel part. They marketed this movie as a reboot, so just run with it. Hardcore fans (like me) will go into it knowing its going to be different and not totally true/consistent with the original.

What I didnt like about it:
* The entire plot was proposterous and poorly executed. So there is this star thats going to supernova that threatens the entire galaxy? Didn't realize they were that big! Then the "unexpected" happens and it destroys Romulous? I'm thinking that part probably wasn't unexpected. It was a supernova. Clearly it was Romulous's own star...so how was that a surprise that when it blew it took the planet with? Spock was trying to save the day, but apparently arrived on the scene too late. Then went to use this Deux Ex Machine "Red Matter" to stop the supernova after it already happened. This made a black hole. Spock and this Mining Ship get caught in it and go back in time through the black hole to a different part of the galaxy. Somehow Nero knows exactly when Spock was going to come out of the rift....some 25 years later. This made no sense to me. So yea, the entire plot of the time travel part was really really lame. Its like they didnt even try. Hearing Leonard Nimoy speak about it in exposition in his mind meld with Kirk was a little sad to me because it was probably the weakest plotline he had ever delivered. (I also wasn't sure how a Romulan Mining ship had all these super big weapons available when it just came out of the black hole.)
* Wasn't wild about Vulcan being destroyed. I realize JJ wanted to shake things up, but that felt sort of out-of-bounds to me.
* Characters convienently getting dropped into key positions on the ship without much question (Scotty getting dropped in as chief engineer really comes to mind here, but they didn't seem to care that they were dropping cadets in all over the place in this movie)

Thats really it. Thats all I didnt like about it. Yes, one might think "the entire plot" is a pretty big thing. Big ironically there was more to enjoy about this that the plot itself was something that I didnt get hung up on. Maybe its because I went in knowing this was going to be way different anyway.

Things I liked:
* The Cast. I thought they did a GREAT job with the cast for the most part. Kirk and Spock will ALWAYS be Shatner and Nimoy. No matter what. That being said, I think Chris Pine did an excellent job as Kirk and Quinto as Spock. Pine really showed the energy that a young Kirk might have had. I also thought Karl Urban was a surprisingly believable McCoy. He REALLY fit the part. The woman who played Uhura worked very well as well, as did John Cho as Sulu. I thought the role of Chekov was kind of weak, and I'm on the fence about Scotty. At some parts he was really funny and full of energy, on the other hand I think he was maybe a bit too over the top. But he worked in the context of the movie and made it fun, so I'm leaning towards him being solid. Not as true to the original Scotty as the rest, but a solid fit.
* The Enterprise looked sweet. Especially emerging from Saturns Rings.
* Bruce Greenwood as Captain Pike played a great role in this as well. I liked getting a glimpse into what kind of leader/captain Pike was (more than just the original Star Trek pilot). I like most roles Greenwood is in, and thought he delivered here.
* Kobyashi Maru was sweet and I'm glad we got to see how Kirk beat it.
* The overall feel of the movie was fun. I really do think the energy the cast brought out in the movie worked. I did feel like I was watching a young captain Kirk and crew.

So I'd be on board to see a second edition. I really was able to detach this from all existing Trek and treat it as its own standalone work, and I think it was fine for that. Frankly, thats the only way to really do it at this point. Start fresh with something different and hope for the best. I think they have a great cast....I just hope the story next time out is a little more tight. This one was really lacking in a lot of areas. And while I dont want to sound like a complete Trek nerd nitpicking on plot and details....I think ANY movie needs to be believable and well executed, and I just think they missed on some pretty big elements in this. Fortunately, the cast made things fun enough that it really didnt ruin things for me.

* The entire plot was proposterous and poorly executed. So there is this star thats going to supernova that threatens the entire galaxy? Didn't realize they were that big! Then the "unexpected" happens and it destroys Romulous? I'm thinking that part probably wasn't unexpected. It was a supernova. Clearly it was Romulous's own star...so how was that a surprise that when it blew it took the planet with? Spock was trying to save the day, but apparently arrived on the scene too late. Then went to use this Deux Ex Machine "Red Matter" to stop the supernova after it already happened. This made a black hole. Spock and this Mining Ship get caught in it and go back in time through the black hole to a different part of the galaxy. Somehow Nero knows exactly when Spock was going to come out of the rift....some 25 years later. This made no sense to me. .

While I quite agree that a supernova couldn't threaten the entire galaxy, I think you have some misperceptions about the rest. It was clearly stated that the star going supernova wasn't unexpected, and it was expected to destroy Romulus. What was unexpected is that happened a little sooner than predicted. Thus, Spock, who had promised to save Romulus got there too late, and could only stop the super nova from expanding further. Thus, Nero blamed Spock for the loss of Romulus.

Nero didn't know when Spock's ship would emerge from the black hole, he just waited 25 years, until Spock showed up, because he wanted Spock to see Vulcan destroyed. One wonders if he might have been willing to forgo Spock seeing his revenge, if he had waited a lot longer and Spock had yet to emerge.

If you want something that doesn't make a lot of sense, are there no phaser banks on Vulcan, or Earth? Why the heck didn't they just destroy that drill when it was first deployed? I kept (mentally) hollering for them to do that! The other thing is, (often a flaw in ST, IMO,) Why the heck, if they can transport onto Nero's ship, didn't they just transport over an H-Bomb, and be done with him? :D

First, an observation about the Time Travel concept in this movie, and its being a reboot. I think that the entire Time Travel aspect of this movie could have just been left out. For me, it didn't work at all, and lets be clear about one thing: This movie was a Reboot/Retelling even if they removed the Time Travel aspects. This crew never met fresh out of the academy and all at the same time. Hell Checkov being in Starfleet before Uhura, Kirk and McCoy? Not a chance. Spock and Uhura never got it on. There are other inconsistencies from Cannon/Roddenberry Trek. So aside from the obvious BIG changes that the time travel aspect made, this movie was a reboot/retelling anyway. I don't understand why they felt they needed to add the time travel part. They marketed this movie as a reboot, so just run with it. Hardcore fans (like me) will go into it knowing its going to be different and not totally true/consistent with the original.

The problem here is that you are trying to resolve the canon much too literally when it's actually unnecessary. The timeline is fractured when the Kelvin is destroyed... and with so many variables given the vast number of interactions between people, 25 years is a significant enough period for events to spin off at a tangent different enough from the canon. Given the alterations it's quite conceivable that Chekov could be in Starfleet and Uhura and Spock have a thang going on.

The biggest problem I have with the time travel from this aspect is ironically that events happen too similar to established events. Is it really plausible that the same group of individuals would all wind up in exactly the same positions as the original characters... given the amount of changes inflicted on the timeline? However... I gladly ignore this question because this is fiction and the mark of a good story is whether or not it allows you to suspend your disbelief... and it did for me.

I think that possibly, deep down... you don't like this because it does interfere with established canon. I know you said you wanted to treat this as seperate entity and I agree that's a good way to be... but I think there's possibly a small a part of you that wants to marry what has been with what is... and I don't think you are happy with that part of yourself. Maybe I'm wrong on that and if so I don't intend to cause offence.

* The entire plot was proposterous and poorly executed. So there is this star thats going to supernova that threatens the entire galaxy? Didn't realize they were that big!

One way in which it could be believable is if the type of energy given off by the supernova had a property that destabilized the integrity of other stars... perhaps we are thinking in terms of a single explosion when in fact it was possibly a chain reaction of events started by this one catastrophe

* Wasn't wild about Vulcan being destroyed. I realize JJ wanted to shake things up, but that felt sort of out-of-bounds to me.

I take the opposite view on that... I think it was an incredibly brave thing to do. In terms of potentially alienating your established audience... that's got to be a big scary card to gamble with... and I admire Abrams for not pulling that particular punch.

* Characters convienently getting dropped into key positions on the ship without much question (Scotty getting dropped in as chief engineer really comes to mind here, but they didn't seem to care that they were dropping cadets in all over the place in this movie)

I agree with that as stated above. Someone did say that Starfleet was in a bit of a personnel crisis in that era and that cadets were supposedly being pressganged into action at a moments notice, but I don't know enough about that statement or the source to back it up enough.

Things I liked
:
* The Cast. I thought they did a GREAT job with the cast for the most part. Kirk and Spock will ALWAYS be Shatner and Nimoy. No matter what. That being said, I think Chris Pine did an excellent job as Kirk and Quinto as Spock. Pine really showed the energy that a young Kirk might have had. I also thought Karl Urban was a surprisingly believable McCoy. He REALLY fit the part. The woman who played Uhura worked very well as well, as did John Cho as Sulu. I thought the role of Chekov was kind of weak, and I'm on the fence about Scotty. At some parts he was really funny and full of energy, on the other hand I think he was maybe a bit too over the top. But he worked in the context of the movie and made it fun, so I'm leaning towards him being solid. Not as true to the original Scotty as the rest, but a solid fit.

I agree with that... I found myself with big goofy beaming smiles of pride at some of the character interplay.

* The Enterprise looked sweet. Especially emerging from Saturns Rings.

On the small screen I hated it... it looked like a retro 30's thing - all scrunched up.... but the transition to the big screen somehow makes it really work. She looked magnificent!

* The overall feel of the movie was fun. I really do think the energy the cast brought out in the movie worked. I did feel like I was watching a young captain Kirk and crew.

Totally with you on that.

The time-travel thing was an integral part of the movie, but it was not the main theme of the movie, it was background. I dislike the "alternate universe," and the "holodeck world" sorts of stories, because I see them as artifice, and a crutch. But, this didn't work like that, to me.

The ironic thing is that for the Spock time travel thing to work... it has to depend on a variation of branch theory, which means that we are in fact now in an alternate universe. The very fact that Nimoy's character is regarded as Spock Prime would seem to indicate that he comes from the Prime Universe (not that he is related to Optimus).

Spock clearly still recalls events from his own universe and branch theory requires that the original universe still continues on whilst Spock is trapped in the reboot universe.

Like it o not, hat's the science.

I saw the film from the center of the front row, with a VERY wide screen. I had to turn my head to catch everything. That's the way I like it...

I thought the Spock/Uhura love interest was pretty strange.

I wouldn't..... IF I WAS SPOCK!:LOL:

The instant I saw there was a Redshirt with Kirk and Sulu on their assault, I turned to my Trekkie friend and said "He's gonna die! :D He replied, "Well, he does have a red shirt.

It was rather given wasn't it?

Sulu's sword was rather derivative of a light saber - at the moment he drew it.

I thought there were a couple of SW references... Pike's use of "Punch it!" for going to warp... heck the way the fleet moved into warp for that matter!

Also Kirk's background being raised with him labelled as a farmboy. Yes I know he had arural upbringing anyway... but I do think this was possibly a side reference too.

I thought the youngest Kirk was a stupid jerk, unnecessarily.

What the baby? That's a little harsh!:LOL:;):p

I know what you mean though... although I found the cop more annoying. Wanted to punch him out for using authoritarian classifications like "citizen". When a cop calls you a citizen... it feels like he's calling you vermin.;)

My biggest disappointment with the film is that we didn't get to see more of the green girl, and for longer... :D

Rowrgggh!;)

She got roasted on the Farragut.:rolleyes::confused:

If you want something that doesn't make a lot of sense, are there no phaser banks on Vulcan, or Earth? Why the heck didn't they just destroy that drill when it was first deployed? I kept (mentally) hollering for them to do that!

Yes, there was that too. Rather silly. I try to suspend a little belief when watching movies like this, but sometimes things just scream out at me when they are that obvious.

The problem here is that you are trying to resolve the canon much too literally when it's actually unnecessary. The timeline is fractured when the Kelvin is destroyed... and with so many variables given the vast number of interactions between people, 25 years is a significant enough period for events to spin off at a tangent different enough from the canon. Given the alterations it's quite conceivable that Chekov could be in Starfleet and Uhura and Spock have a thang going on.

I think that possibly, deep down... you don't like this because it does interfere with established canon. I know you said you wanted to treat this as separate entity and I agree that's a good way to be... but I think there's possibly a small a part of you that wants to marry what has been with what is... and I don't think you are happy with that part of yourself. Maybe I'm wrong on that and if so I don't intend to cause offense.

So not wanting to get into a big geeky debate here, but I think your assesment is wrong here on a couple of counts for me. First, I don't agree with the timeline stuff. Before Vulcan being destroyed, the only interference with the timeline ws the destruction of one single starfleet ship. That event would not make Chekov be born a good 10 years earlier than he was in the TOS universe.

More importantly, deep down I am certainly NOT trying to think that these are all one and the same. I went into this with the mentality that this was JJ Abrams Star Trek. Its a whole different thing and not related or based upon the original. What I saw on the screen only went to reinforce that, not make me think otherwise. In fact, one little tidbit you posted after this one actually contradicted yourself (at least I thought it did) and pretty much sums up my point on all of this:

The ironic thing is that for the Spock time travel thing to work... it has to depend on a variation of branch theory, which means that we are in fact now in an alternate universe. The very fact that Nimoy's character is regarded as Spock Prime would seem to indicate that he comes from the Prime Universe.

This, I believe, is exactly right as far as the time travel stuff goes. To date in the Star Trek universe of Roddenberry, all time travel only served to keep things as they originally were, they never made things different. It just turned out that the ST crew from the future served to create the past they already knew. Even Rick Bermans ST First Contact had the same approach --- all playing in the same universe/sandbox. This movie did not. They even went out of their way in the movie to explain it as such with dialogue. It created a BRANCH universe. The TOS/TNG universe is still out there and continuing on...this one is now different. Its the first time this has ever been done in Trek.

The point I was trying to convey is that, for my money, they really didnt need to do this. I think they could have just done a reboot/reimaging and be done with it. No need to come up with fancy attempted sci-fi explainations, just call it a reboot and be on your way and come up with a story to give JJ's vision of how things may have started in Kirk career. But I do agree with your second point, and they stated it in the movie as such, this is now a different alternate reality that these movies will take place in (if others are made).

My complaint was that the way they executed the time travel aspect of this story was pretty weak. When Spock was giving his mind meld with Kirk explaining what happened I was honestly thinking to myself "Oh for crying out loud, they didnt even try...."

Again though, I was still able to enjoy the movie overall which really speaks to the cast they put together and their performances. Because what they were given to work with, IMO, wasn't an outstanding script/plot. But they made it work and fun to watch.

Another positive thing to come out of this movie for me is renewed desire to re watch the TOS episodes again. And, coincidentally, I was on Amazon and saw that TOS Season 1 on Blu-Ray comes out on Tuesday, so I hit the WANT button and ordered it. Its pretty well discounted what with the hype of the new movie and all --- almost 50% off. Its also a true HD transfer, and from reports of those who have seen it, the quality is pretty stunning and an improvement over the DVDs. Also they have the new HD effects that CBS/Paramount did a couple of years ago on this set --- but with the option to turn them on and off. So you can see the original version (in HD) or you can see the added/updated effects if you want. Pretty sweet, I can't wait to dive in!

George Lucas, why couldn't you have done this....years ago?!?!?

I was actually referring to the untold number of "Special Editions" and his refusal to release the original versions of the original three movies (until recently), but come to think about it, a Jar-Jar switch would be much appreciated.

They would need to develop a new type of disc technology for a Jar Jar removal feature, but it would be worth every penny.

Saw it yesterday at a large iMAx before going onto a party and getting a bit trashed. The effects were wonderful, the new Enterprise amazing and I dug the cast a lot, they all had a chance to shine, which was great. The plot was all over the shop really, but it was rather fun. There was something for everyone in there, Trekkies and non Trekkies. I would love to see more.

Not what I really wanted from a spurt of the new Trek franchise, not how I would have done a reboot / prequel, but then as I do not work in Hollywood who gives a rats about what I thinjk ? It was fun, enjoyable if a bit sci-fi lite, although all the black holes and time travel helped a bit. 'Red Matter' was a bit JJ Abrahms plot device for my liking. Reminded me of the Rabbits foot in IM3.

Chekov is not born 10 years earlier. In 2nd-3rd season TOS Kirk is 34 and Chekov is stated as being 22. Here Kirk is 28 and Chekov is 17. Pretty damn close if you ask me - he just made it to the bridge earlier.

To date in the Star Trek universe of Roddenberry, all time travel only served to keep things as they originally were, they never made things different. It just turned out that the ST crew from the future served to create the past they already knew. Even Rick Bermans ST First Contact had the same approach --- all playing in the same universe/sandbox. This movie did not. They even went out of their way in the movie to explain it as such with dialogue. It created a BRANCH universe. The TOS/TNG universe is still out there and continuing on...this one is now different. Its the first time this has ever been done in Trek.

The point I was trying to convey is that, for my money, they really didnt need to do this. I think they could have just done a reboot/reimaging and be done with it. No need to come up with fancy attempted sci-fi explainations, just call it a reboot and be on your way and come up with a story to give JJ's vision of how things may have started in Kirk career. But I do agree with your second point, and they stated it in the movie as such, this is now a different alternate reality that these movies will take place in (if others are made).

The fact that it didn't all come out the same in the end,
The fact that it DID produce a "branch universe," not sew the old one back together, and
The fact that the time travel was just an element, not the main element of the story,
Were all to the film's credit, in my estimation. They dropped the annoying use of the reset button! So, this is a large part of what I liked about the film, what let me appreciate it for what it had to offer, and not get too bent out of shape about the changes.

I'll admit that it is more than a bit of a stretch that green cadets are made officers, and a cadet on suspension is made captain. They try to provide a reason(s), but I guess we just have to accept it. As to the same crew as ST:TOS all coming together, but earlier, if one believes in fate, that doesn't seem so odd, so I don't have a problem with that.

As to Chekov, I liked the way the character was handled. In ST:TOS, he was just there to be a Russian, during the Cold War. Here, he is a bit of a genius, incredibly enthusiastic and energetic, and provides real contributions.

I thought the exact same thing, especially when there was the dialogue that went like:
Spock: These events are, like, totally canceling out known Trek cannon and everything's a do-over from now on!
Kirk: Yeah

I think I may be paraphrasing a bit here but still, this happened.

Hearing Leonard Nimoy speak about it in exposition in his mind meld with Kirk was a little sad to me because it was probably the weakest plotline he had ever delivered.

Star Trek V: The Search For God?

Anyways yes I would say the plot was completely fucktarded, but the way they handled the characters and the action and visuals were fantastic (when not completely nonsensical, like the platform fencing), which gives hope for better sequels.

About Uhura getting it on w/ Spock: it worked for me. Spock always had this weird sex appeal for the ladies, and this movie didn't have the time to show some other chick being in love with him, so they give him the top prize in Starfleet, Uhura, and make a big point about how she's rejecting Captain McFratboy in favor of the galaxy's favorite nerd.

And yes, JJ, the green chick was quite... mmm....

I really like Christopher Pike. Yeah they made him real different by making him much older than Kirk and more like a father figure, but the actor (who looked very familiar) and the character were an unexpected bit of awesome.

Cast did a great job. Only minor quibble is McCoy- the guy did a good impression of Kelly but I don't like that they made him so angry and grumbly the whole time. Yes McCoy was a grouch, but he was also very charming and likely, like an old-timey southern gentleman, and they didn't get that latter quality in this version.

The one bad casting element- a minor one, certainly- was Spock's dad. Just awful. The great thing about both Spock and Sarek was that despite their robot-ness, they had charisma. New Spock isn't quite there yet but will be in sequels; new Sarek was just bad.

Also if we're ripping apart the major plot holes, why did Romulus, a huge powerful empire, need Spock to save them? They couldn't just evacuate? I know that's a huge task but surely they have the resources.

Why the heck, if they can transport onto Nero's ship, didn't they just transport over an H-Bomb, and be done with him?

Sheridan > Kirk

I saw this thing in the IMAX which was sweet, and before that I too went drinking. So inebriating + big noises and pretty spaceships was enough to help me deal with the fact that Kirk was replaced with some Abercrombie and Finch model, Sylar was Spock, Shaun of the Dead was Scotty, Uhura lost about 40 lbs, and Harold or Kumar was Sulu.

I finally saw it.

Loved it.

I think it will breathe new life into the franchise.

I like the reimagining.

Love the casting choices. I'm especially in love with ZQ as Spock. I thought he by far outshined everyone else in performance, presence and what I come to expect from Spock (reimagined or not.)

The destruction of Vulcan was just heart-wretching. 10,000 left? Geesh. When he was making his entry, stating that he was a member of an endangered species, (sniff.)

I also loved seeing Cameron from House as Kirk's mom. I read an interview with her somewhere that she was so excited to play that role, that it was this huge responsibility!

Loved the subtle nods to Captain Pike (the ending with him in the wheelchair was spot on--a great "tribute" to The Menagerie.)

The only thing I was kind of "feh" about was Eric Bana as the Nero. He just didn't do it for me (nor did any of the Romulans in general.) But, ahh well.

And yes, JJ, the green chick was quite... mmm....
mmm...mmm...mmm... :D

I really like Christopher Pike. Yeah they made him real different by making him much older than Kirk and more like a father figure, but the actor (who looked very familiar) and the character were an unexpected bit of awesome.

That's Bruce Greenwood. He was in Exotica, and a short-lived, but very good series of the 90s, called Nowhere Man, and lots of other stuff.

I've glanced through many of the posts here, and let me know if I'm missing something, but it sounds like the concensus of majority opinion is:

1) it was fun seeing a "reimagining" of the characters

2) the women and sex were hot

3) FX were great

Is that about it?

Well, the only sex scene is about 30 seconds long, isn't exactly graphic, but it has a green girl (like the Orion slave girl from TOS) with rather large, bare, bazooms, and long dark, curly hair. She is a cadet, Uhura's room mate, and Kirk is about to get it on with her, when they hear Uhura coming in, so green girl tells Kirk to hide. So, to my eye at least, she was hot. But that isn't exactly what I'd call hot sex, even though I rarely watch porno.

:LOL: I figured that much, Trek has always been a bit careful about that.

So, edit out the words "and sex" from my post, and I've basically go the right picture here? :)

I've glanced through many of the posts here, and let me know if I'm missing something, but it sounds like the concensus of majority opinion is:

1) it was fun seeing a "reimagining" of the characters

3) FX were great

Is that about it?

I've gathered that too, but, I'd add that the cast were very well chosen and written, except possibly Chekov (and Scotty, if you were annoyed by the constant camp).

plus, some that were not aware of the time travel, flinched at it, and some that knew, still thought it was a "Dues ex Machina" that needn't have been there to accomplish the goal (Though, many liked the diversity of the actual time travel thread, breaking some established "reset" rules).

I'm looking forward to watching it, meant to go this last weekend, but, a BBQ happened instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back