B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 22nd 02, 16:28   #1
hypatia
First One

Why no male nudity?

If Jerimiah is really going to take advantage of it's "free and easy" cable status, then why no MALE nudity? HMM?
scifi.com article

[Edit note: Fixed the URL --Lyta]

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited February 22, 2002).]
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 02, 16:34   #2
Sven Foriegner
Ranger

Re: Why no male nudity?

If you want that kind of stuff...go watch OZ of Queer as Folk. As for the rest of us....we don't want to be staring at another dude's package.

------------------
Sven Foriegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 02, 16:35   #3
hypatia
First One

Thanks, Lyta.
Sorry about the mess.

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited February 22, 2002).]
Old February 22nd 02, 16:40   #4
channe
First One

Sigh. 'Cause our society is the kind of society that will hoot and holler over two lesbians and get all queasy over two gay men.

It's unfair, I tell ya.

But it's only the beginning. Maybe they'll break more rules as they go...?

------------------
[email]channe@cryoterrace | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space
channe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 02, 16:53   #5
DrRingDing
Ranger

there may not be FRONTAL male nudity but i guarantee you there is a glimpse of a male posterior (could be Luke Perry's, assuming he did not use a double) in the pilot episode.
-di doctor-

------------------
DrRingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 02, 18:36   #6
Recoil
First One

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
I think that if there were as much penis being flashed on the big screen as women's breasts then maybe the whole fallic symbol/size thing would lose the sway it has over men.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must...not...capitialize...on...the...opportunity. ..

resist...must...resist

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 02, 19:24   #7
Lyta

Hypatia, I fixed your URL since you had one too many "http://" in there. You might want to edit your other post that has the entire article. I don't really care personally, but Antony might have issues with it.

Interesting news article. I always seem to be behind on the SciFi Wire reports since I don't check them everyday.

No male nudity? I don't really care if it has it or not. If it makes sense in the story and it is not too gratuitous, then I don't see what the big deal is. I really think our society in general focuses too much on nudity.

Ok, so the pilot episode is tamer than originally filmed. Maybe they will release/show the un-tamed down version one of these days. I also see why they might want to gradually ease the audience into the harsh reality of the subject matter. I am sure there are a lot of people tuning in just because it has JMS' name on it and it wouldn't necessarily be something they would expect. Plus, this type of storytelling (on screen) is fairly new to JMS so he might be easing into it, gauging reactions, etc. Or, it could even be the studio who demanded it. Who knows? In any case, it sounds like they will be pushing the limits as the show goes along which intrigues me to no end.

As for male posterior nudity, I am all for it! Especially if it is actaully Luke's behind.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Abyss : Jeremiah
Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice. --JMS
Lyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 02, 19:35   #8
hypatia
First One

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Sigh. 'Cause our society is the kind of society that will hoot and holler over two lesbians and get all queasy over two gay men.

It's unfair, I tell ya.

But it's only the beginning. Maybe they'll break more rules as they go...?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My best guess on this one, Channe, is that JMS is going for a male crowd. Too bad. some male nudity might bring in a whole new group to Jermimiah, eh?

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com
Old February 22nd 02, 20:08   #9
channe
First One

Luke Perry posterior? Ohh, I am NOT objecting to this one.

------------------
[email]channe@cryoterrace | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space
channe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd 02, 05:01   #10
PsionTen
First One

You know, I hate to say it, but I also wish there was more male nudity in films -- a'la Harvey Keitel in "The Piano" Personally, I think that if there were as much penis being flashed on the big screen as women's breasts then maybe the whole fallic symbol/size thing would lose the sway it has over men.
PsionTen is offline   Reply With Quote