B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 7th 03, 18:51   #1
GShans
Dead Account

Galactica Miniseries...

It seems there is to be a new Galactica miniseries based on the original BSG, coming some time in the future, being made by SciFi.

They announced back on February 13th that they have cast the main roles of Starbuck and Apollo, and that Starbuck has been written as a female character.

here is the link:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...2/13/13.00.sfc

(i looked to see if this had been reported already, but i did not see anything about it)
GShans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th 03, 20:30   #2
kingfish
Dead Account

Re: Galactica Miniseries...

The link is at http://scifi.com/battlestar
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th 03, 20:39   #3
hypatia
First One

Re: Galactica Miniseries...

Actually, you are both right. GShans was giving the link to the news article about the miniseries, and kingfish gave the link to the official site.

I never got into BSG at all, but I would like to see another space-based show on the so-called science fiction channel. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 03, 18:43   #4
Krystal
Ranger

Galactica: Remake Opposition Ad

To Galactica fans and other scifi fans that would like to know why the fan base of the series is against the remake, check this ad. It put the reasons clear and in a cool way. Also check the places at the end of the ad to see what is happening.

Galactica: The Remake Opposition

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 03, 18:57   #5
Recoil
First One

Re: Galactica: Remake Opposition Ad

Ok, see that was a fucking waste of my time.

Honestly, you post a link asking for people to help in a clear and cool manner, yet the link is OBVIOUSLY made by some whiny fan of the old show who is complainint because it is *gasp* different, and that none of the original cast isnt in it. If you look at that site objectively, its pretty pathetic. "THE FANS WERE LIED TO" GOD get a clue, no one was lied to, it was clear from day 1 what this was.

Remakes are just that, DIFFERENT. You wont ever find members of original casts in remakes. The webmaster of that site really needs to grasp that concept a little better.

I actually am a bit disappointed at some of the stuff I am seeing in articles of the remake, but Im also not crying because every minute detail isnt the same. Like it or hate it, its a remake. These people act like they have never heard the phrase "retelling of the original story" before. I wonder if people whined this much about Dune when it was rumored to come out in miniseries...

Folks, lastly, dont be fooled into looking at that link, its just a whiny sideshow and contains not something asking for objective input into your feelings of the remake. Save 2 minutes of your life if you choose to do so...
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 03, 20:24   #6
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
You wont ever find members of original casts in remakes.
Well, that is not necessarily true. There have been a number of remakes where members of the original cast showed up in a much smaller part in a remake. This is done as a sort of nod to both the people who originally made something interesting enough to warrent a remake and to the fans of that original.

Just a couple examples: Faye Dunaway appeared as a psychaitrist in the remake of The Thomas Crowne Affair (in which Rene Russo had the equivalent of Dunaway's original part); Richard Roundtree appeared in the relatively recent version of Shaft (I guess ostensibly playing the same part, but with Samual L. Jackson's John Shaft being his nephew and now the titular character). Though not exactly a remake in terms of movies, in an even more recent example Chicago has an equivalent piece of casting where Chita Rivera (the original Velma Kelly on Broadway) played one of the other prisoners who sings and dances a part in one song (which is done as an ensemble by "the six merry murderesses of the Cook County Jail").
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 03, 20:30   #7
Glacophane
Ambassador

I'm not going to decide whether the remake is a good or bad thing until I actually view it when it is on in December.
Glacophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 03, 22:14   #8
Recoil
First One

What I meant, and I guess I should have spelled it out, was that in remakes you rarely (if ever) find original cast members playing their roles. In a "nod to the original" situation, sure, but you cant expect to have the original cast come back in a REMAKE. If they do, its called a reunion (ala gilligans island, and the dukes of hazard 1-4 reunions, etc...)
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 03, 07:43   #9
channe
First One

I, for one, have no problem with them re-casting Starbuck as a female, but that's just because I've never seen an episode of Battlestar Galactica in my life and I have no emotional ties to the thing whatsoever.

That said, I think a twenty-two-year-older Richard Hatch wouldn't make a very convincing young pilot (that's what Starbuck is, right?). This isn't ageism, folks, it's "believable casting."

Heh. I'll watch. Why not?
channe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 03, 10:44   #10
PsionTen
First One

I hate to say it, but BG (like Buck Rogers and that Flash Gordon movie) was pretty cheesy... most of the stuff from that time was cheesy.... Bionic Man (but not Bionic Woman, which was a more intelligent show), Dukes of Hazzard, The Incredible Hulk... pretty much everything we liked as a kid was cheesy... The Smurfs, Challenge of the Superfriends, Pop Rocks... I would certainly hope that anyone trying to resurrect these old series would do some drastic changes, because they certainly need them.
PsionTen is offline   Reply With Quote