B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 7th 03, 20:02   #41
Zathras
Dead Account

Re: New Doctor Who!

Quote:

...Tachyon TV has thoughtfully posted a draft of the opening narration for the new series.

And THAT's the story in a nutshell...

A bloody big and grotesquely fat nutshell, but a nutshell nonetheless. Thanks, Joe.
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th 03, 20:39   #42
A_M_Swallow
First One

When ever the Time Lords catch the Doctor they make him forget things. Use the same technology to plant a few false memories and you can deal eith any inconsistancies in the story you like.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 03, 10:30   #43
hypatia
First One

Adric's demise had nothing to do with the time-line, but the doctor's explanation as to why he could not go back in time to save him does.

I only saw the tv-movie once, but doesn't the Doctor end up doing in that what he claimed so adamantly that he could not do for Adric?
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 03, 17:50   #44
taichidave
First One

Quote:
I only saw the tv-movie once, but doesn't the Doctor end up doing in that what he claimed so adamantly that he could not do for Adric?
I have it on tape and saw it a few months ago. Yeah, I think he did.

Must be the Doctor didn't care for Adric all that much either...

Seriously, though, I don't think continutiy plays as big a role on Doctor Who as it did in B5, as the hilarious intro Joe linked to demonstrates.
taichidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 03, 17:54   #45
taichidave
First One

Quote:
"For some reason?" I don't know about Dr. Who-boy, but Crusher was hated for many reasons, all of them justified, and he should have been shoved out an airlock somewhere around the 3rd episode of S1. I can only assume Aldric or Elritch of Adric was equally obnoxious and deserving of a slow, painful death.
Well, when you put it like that...

Yeah, they were both prety darn bad. But Crusher more so, I think.
taichidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 03, 21:41   #46
MartinRoth
First One

Quote:
Adric's demise had nothing to do with the time-line, but the doctor's explanation as to why he could not go back in time to save him does.

Maybe. There was some extra technobabble someplace, which may have been in the TVM or may have been in one of the novels, which explained why it could happen when it did but couldn't happen when it didn't. Something to do with the Eye of Harmony being open, IIRC (though I may very well not RC ).

In any case, compared to some of the other inconsistencies and discontinuities over the course of the series, that one was positively trivial.
MartinRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 03, 21:43   #47
MartinRoth
First One

Quote:
Yeah, they were both prety darn bad. But Crusher more so, I think.
I actually liked Adric in Full Circle, the story in which he first appeared. It was only once he became a regular that he became annoying, and only once the Doctor regenerated that he became truly intolerable.

Which, to me, puts him way up on Wesley...
MartinRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th 03, 18:57   #48
ElScorcho
Psi Cop

Adric only really worked with Tom Baker's Doctor as a sort of mentor/apprentice type relationship. Peter Davison, being closer in age, couldn't really pull it off in that fashion. And personal friction between the actors only amplified it. I'm not surprised they killed him off, but at least they did it with a little class.
ElScorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th 03, 19:49   #49
hypatia
First One

Was there ever another companion who was killed off in Dr. Who? I heard once in college there might have been, back in the WH days. But I can't remember of one who was actually killed off.

Just curious.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th 03, 20:19   #50
ElScorcho
Psi Cop

The first Doctor had two companions who ended up dead - a girl from ancient Greece called Katarina and Sara Kingdom, who only appeared in "The Dalek Masterplan". And both of them die in that story.

And depending on the individual perspective, Peri was or was not killed in "The Trial of a Timelord".
ElScorcho is offline   Reply With Quote